The Restaurant seating

gotallanswers

hi everyone happy almost Halloween.

Can anyone explain how the seating works in the Restaurant. Is it all group seating? Such as if I go with my wife I will sit with others or do we sit by ourselves?

Also, if sitting with others how many people are typically at the table?

Thanks in advance!

hi everyone happy almost Halloween.

Can anyone explain how the seating works in the Restaurant. Is it all group seating? Such as if I go with my wife I will sit with others or do we sit by ourselves?

Also, if sitting with others how many people are typically at the table?

Thanks in advance!

You do not specify which ship you will be traveling on.

On most of the cruise ships (Muse is an exception and the arrangements there are still evolving) you go to the Restaurant whenever you like during opening hours.

If you want to sit alone, the MD will seat you at a two top.

If you prefer to sit with others, tell the MD and he will invited you to join others at a four or six top or he will ask if you want to begin a new table, in which case you might have to wait a few minutes until the MD finds other new arrivals who want to join you.

In nearly all cases, your preferences can be accommodated.

You do not specify which ship you will be traveling on.

On most of the cruise ships (Muse is an exception and the arrangements there are still evolving) you go to the Restaurant whenever you like during opening hours.

If you want to sit alone, the MD will seat you at a two top.

If you prefer to sit with others, tell the MD and he will invited you to join others at a four or six top or he will ask if you want to begin a new table, in which case you might have to wait a few minutes until the MD finds other new arrivals who want to join you.

In nearly all cases, your preferences can be accommodated.

Looking at spirt or shadow.

Also I like to order lots of different menu options like 2-3 different apps and the like. Would others get annoyed at this and thus we should get a two top? I know the dinning meal is long but wasn't sure how this is perceived.

Also I like to order lots of different menu options like 2-3 different apps and the like. Would others get annoyed at this and thus we should get a two top? I know the dinning meal is long but wasn't sure how this is perceived.

What you mentioned would go well with some and not with others. Don't sweat it, just go have fun. If you like meeting new people, then you know how it goes. Go with the flow or just sit at a table or two. I'm sure you will find it will all work out and don't worry about this dining thing...

You are considerate to ask about perceptions of others. As carefreecruise says, different people will have different reactions. I must confess that I would be less than enthusiastic about having a table mate who ordered multiple appetizers, etc., that were served sequentially and that made for a protracted dining experience. Other people might be much more tolerant than me. Of course, a critical consideration would be the quality of the conversation.

You are considerate to ask about perceptions of others. As carefreecruise says, different people will have different reactions. I must confess that I would be less than enthusiastic about having a table mate who ordered multiple appetizers, etc., that were served sequentially and that made for a protracted dining experience. Other people might be much more tolerant than me. Of course, a critical consideration would be the quality of the conversation.

Yea that is what I figured, unless I really enjoyed being with someone I wouldn't want to watch them eat double maybe even triple the amount of courses as me. I will tell the MD I have the intentions of ordering numerous plates and they can figure out the best solution such as telling others in advance before sitting us at a table or sitting us at a two top. The last thing I want is to create an awkward situation at the dinner table.

Yea that is what I figured, unless I really enjoyed being with someone I wouldn't want to watch them eat double maybe even triple the amount of courses as me. I will tell the MD I have the intentions of ordering numerous plates and they can figure out the best solution such as telling others in advance before sitting us at a table or sitting us at a two top. The last thing I want is to create an awkward situation at the dinner table.

FWIW, I'd have a table just for you and your wife when you want to do this. For many people the meal has to have people dressed in a certan way and also many will feel that the meal is a staged occaision and that all on the table have their courses at the same time as there is a sort of theatrical staged element to it - isn't there? So every one has each course at the same time. Asking the MD to decide is moving the responsibility of possible blame.

You asked the question because you thought it might just detract enjoyment for some, and that was a considerate thought and you are right - so let that be your guiding light. Be considerate and take a table a deux. You will both relax and enjoy it more and no "harm" to others has been risked. When you're in the mood on other nights to eat more "traditionally" then join a large table.

:)

FWIW, I'd have a table just for you and your wife when you want to do this. For many people the meal has to have people dressed in a certan way and also many will feel that the meal is a staged occaision and that all on the table have their courses at the same time as there is a sort of theatrical staged element to it - isn't there? So every one has each course at the same time. Asking the MD to decide is moving the responsibility of possible blame.

You asked the question because you thought it might just detract enjoyment for some, and that was a considerate thought and you are right - so let that be your guiding light. Be considerate and take a table a deux. You will both relax and enjoy it more and no "harm" to others has been risked. When you're in the mood on other nights to eat more "traditionally" then join a large table.

:)

I was just told there are limited two tops in The Restaurant, is it difficult to get a two top if we show up for dinner at 8:30ish?

I was just told there are limited two tops in The Restaurant, is it difficult to get a two top if we show up for dinner at 8:30ish?

They will put two at a four top by yourselves. It’s happened to us several times without us saying a word.

gotallanswers, (nice weather we are having in metro Atlanta today--72/sunny :)

We generally dine between 8 and 8:30 p.m, on the Silver Wind this July we had no problem getting a table for two when dining by ourselves. You may get an invitation to dine with one of the ship's officers, in this case your may have a table of 6, 8 or even 10.

If you choose to cruise on the Silver Spirit after next spring's refurb (stretching) the reservation system will remain the same in the main dining room as it is today. Here is what Silversea Florida told our TA(Travel Agent) today:

There will be open dining on the Spirit just like it was and the way it is now on the Muse. We changed from all reservations on the Muse to open seating in Atlantide and Indochine.

btw, whether we are dining by ourselves or whether we are with a group we have a standing order of fresh sliced avocado along with our salad/appetizer. And, generally I have not only a Restaurant featured main course but also order a vegetarian main course as well.

I don't think this should be a problem. The first wave of diners will be leaving, etc. The only time I have had to wait at all on Silversea was when I arrived along with a huge crowd disgorged from the welcome reception, Venetian Society, farewell event, or a (rare) pre-dinner lecture or performance.

I think the advice is wise not to lay the decision on the MD. He can't predict how others will respond. I think you should dine alone.

Thanks for the replies and it is sunny and 68 degrees here too! Based on what everyone has said I think the best course of action is to just sit at a two top or just us at a four top. Except if outside the dinning room others ask if we want to have dinner with them and then if we want to have dinner with them, I will just give them a heads up that I eat for basically 2 people aka ordering numerous dishes to experience the different dishes SS has to offer.

If we are invited to eat with an officer and I really want to try more dishes than one I will have them delivered either before dinner or after dinner to my suite or the Bar.

I was going through past SS menu's and there are times where I just can't make up my mind.

I hate to ask this--but I am curious. Does it ever occur to you that you might be wasting food---just trying everything? Or, do you really plan to eat it all? What if EVERY passenger ordered as much as you do? Would that make economic sense for the cruise line? Would they have to change their pricing policy? Just food for thought...

I hate to ask this--but I am curious. Does it ever occur to you that you might be wasting food---just trying everything? Or, do you really plan to eat it all? What if EVERY passenger ordered as much as you do? Would that make economic sense for the cruise line? Would they have to change their pricing policy? Just food for thought...

I've had 100 pieces of sushi, rice and all, in one sitting before and my record is 9 lobster tails on royal Caribbean on top of the prime rib and apps I had. When I say try I mean eat fully as long as it is good. I'm an active young guy with a fast metabolism.

I eat every 3 hours when I'm not on a cruise ship and my final meal is at midnight and consists of about 2/3-3/4 pounds of meat. What I'm trying to say is I eat a lot on a daily basis and up my cardio on a cruise because I do tend to eat more than normal and just need that afterburn effect to not gain wait.

Ok. I think you definitely need to eat at your own table. I would be taken aback at that much food being eaten--and I'm a fairly tolerant person. Are you sure you are not pulling our collective legs?

Ok. I think you definitely need to eat at your own table. I would be taken aback at that much food being eaten--and I'm a fairly tolerant person. Are you sure you are not pulling our collective legs?

No I was with my friends at a sushi buffet and we had a contest on who can eat the most sushi. The one on royal Caribbean was another challenge between me and a friend.

Trust me after around piece 50-60 it was all just for bragging rights and not very unenjoyable.

But then again looking at the pictures of the food SS serves one portion will not fill me up.

No I was with my friends at a sushi buffet and we had a contest on who can eat the most sushi. The one on royal Caribbean was another challenge between me and a friend.

Trust me after around piece 50-60 it was all just for bragging rights and not very unenjoyable.

But then again looking at the pictures of the food SS serves one portion will not fill me up.

This thread is becoming very dark for me. At this very moment -- at whatever moment this is being read -- there are hundreds of millions of people in the world who are desperately hungry. The idea that someone would stuff one's face "just for bragging rights" is IMHO nearly obscene. I repeat my earlier suggestion that gotallanswers (a modest handle!) get a table by him/herself. I certainly do not want to witness the self-indulgence.

This thread is becoming very dark for me. At this very moment -- at whatever moment this is being read -- there are hundreds of millions of people in the world who are desperately hungry. The idea that someone would stuff one's face "just for bragging rights" is IMHO nearly obscene. I repeat my earlier suggestion that gotallanswers (a modest handle!) get a table by him/herself. I certainly do not want to witness the self-indulgence.

Ever heard of the yearly Nathan's hot dog challenge? I don't think a silver sea cruise is the appropriate time for me to all of a sudden care about starving people. If people truely cared they would go on a cheaper cruise and donate the difference in dollars to helping solve world hunger.

Lets be clear I think it is horrible that these things happen but I am not in the best position to solve the problem, nor will eating less on a cruise even put the tiniest dent in the problem.

The whole point of this post was simple, to confirm that we should get a two top since this crowd is difference from say a more mainstream cruise crowd like carnival and royal carribesn.

Good, then I'll sit with my lovely wife. I don't need you questioning my choices in life though.

I read Observer's post and totally agreed with the sentiments expressed and then I read yours in reply and totally agreed with you, and I guess to me that means what you both say isn't necessarily contradictory. And we don't know how much of what you say is tongue in cheek, or whether it is or not whether that's relevant. Most of us signal our virtue and goodness in some way or other and when people expose themselves to ridicule or questioning by others they are at least demonstrate some courage and do so come what may.

We noticed on our cruises that many appear to eat and drink more than we think of being normal portions and for some it is genuine hearty appetite but for others it is very clearly people exercising a right they feel they have to maximise their perception of value for the cash they paid for their cruise by consuming a lot more than most would say they should take. We have seen some breafast plates ....

Reading between the lines you are clearly much more sensitive about the issues you raise than it seems when you feel you have been challenged. I'd also add to your stated philosophy that we have a responsibility to enjoy our lives as much as we can becausewe are all fortunate and not doing so doesn't seem fair to those that would like to do what we can do, but do not have our freedom or resources. Wasting prime enjoyment is disrespectful.

Anyway don't take stuff to heart and enjoy your cruise, just make sure you leave a bit for everyone else ......:D;)

I read Observer's post and totally agreed with the sentiments expressed and then I read yours in reply and totally agreed with you, and I guess to me that means what you both say isn't necessarily contradictory. And we don't know how much of what you say is tongue in cheek, or whether it is or not whether that's relevant. Most of us signal our virtue and goodness in some way or other and when people expose themselves to ridicule or questioning by others they are at least demonstrate some courage and do so come what may.

We noticed on our cruises that many appear to eat and drink more than we think of being normal portions and for some it is genuine hearty appetite but for others it is very clearly people exercising a right they feel they have to maximise their perception of value for the cash they paid for their cruise by consuming a lot more than most would say they should take. We have seen some breafast plates ....

Reading between the lines you are clearly much more sensitive about the issues you raise than it seems when you feel you have been challenged. I'd also add to your stated philosophy that we have a responsibility to enjoy our lives as much as we can becausewe are all fortunate and not doing so doesn't seem fair to those that would like to do what we can do, but do not have our freedom or resources. Wasting prime enjoyment is disrespectful.

Anyway don't take stuff to heart and enjoy your cruise, just make sure you leave a bit for everyone else ......:D;)

Do you really think he is serious? I am persuaded that he is a troll, and I am embarrassed that I was taken in. For example, a recent post asked, "Does anyone know if you order appetizers to the bar? Like if I want charred octopus I can tell my butler a day in advance and he can bring it to the bar while I have a pre dinner drink or three!" Can anyone really have such a sense of entitlement? But the clincher for me was his response to my question about which ships he was talking about in posing his restaurant questions. (How could I have fallen for this and called him considerate?) He said Shadow or Spirit. But in an earlier post he said he was sailing on Wind in November. If he was curious about restaurant protocol, wouldn't he have asked about Wind on which he will be sailing shortly? When trolling, consistency is advised.

I don’t know what to make of this exchange. I have never experienced anything close to what appears to be gluttony on Silversea. Every time we have dined with others, including officers, we always ask the waiter, as discretely as possible, how many courses others at the table are ordering, and we adjust accordingly. This is just simple good manners. For us, this usually has meant expanding our preferred two courses to three. Easy to do and a simple effort to be polite.

I hope this is all just a joke, but, if it’s real, then I definitely vote for a lovely table for two.

This is truely a toxic forum. I'm questioning my decision now. A simple question, my family was booking for next year on wind, but we wanted to do something exotic in the Asia/Africa region before then on our own since we have never been and it seemed better than the Caribbean and the prices looked fair but I had this question before we bit the bullet.

But go be a detective because I won't be posting anymore.