Under 21, parents sign form, drink package

jdvmd

I know parents can sign the alcohol waiver for their kids ages 18-20 to drink beer and wine.

My question involves if you have been given a free drinks package by NCL at booking.

Does the underage person (who would have received a soda package at booking), get converted to the alcoholic drink package (minus drinking anything other than beer and wine), or do they stay with the soda package and have to purchase beer and wine?

Also, how does this work on the Sky?

There have been mixed reports on this.

Some people have reported being able to upgrade to a alcoholic package, after paying the required gratuity charge.

However, others have reported not being able to do so.

It seems to be one of those NCL things, where one person is successful whilst another is being told it can’t be done.

Best advice I can give is to ask, but be prepared for it not to be given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for their responses thus far.

Curious about those who have been on the Sky and their experiences as well.

Also, when at GSC, alcoholic beverages are included as well, correct? I'm referring to adults and not 18-20 year olds.

Thanks to everyone for their responses thus far.

Curious about those who have been on the Sky and their experiences as well.

Also, when at GSC, alcoholic beverages are included as well, correct? I'm referring to adults and not 18-20 year olds.

Check out the Sky UPB Terms and Conditions on the web site:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/sky-beverages

Check out the Sky UPB Terms and Conditions on the web site:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/sky-beverages

Thanks for the link.

Now I am confused with this wording below "while onboard." Should I take this to mean literally onboard or just sailing?

Is beer and wine included for guests between the ages of 18 and 20?

Yes. Young adults between the ages of 18 and 20 can consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent.

Find TheDougOut's thread about his Escape cruise this summer. He was able to upgrade his daughter to the Corks & Caps package. I believe he mentioned that they have the get the okay from corporate in order for this to happen, so it didn't get cleared until the second day. Also, you then have to pay the service charges on the package.

Yep, it's kind of odd. By NCL's own rules, under 21's can NOT get drink packages, yet some have reported being able to get packages for their 18,19,20 year-olds in an upgrade from the soda package. Go figure.

For the "almost 21 with parental/guardian consent" crowd, the Corks and Caps is possible with corporate approval but the full UBP is a no.

So on that Post above by Dougout, it looks like he was only charged $75, yet online the corks and caps is listed at $487/person, so is the 75 just an upgrade from the soda package to Corks and caps on the person who's 18-20 and no charge for the passenger with the UBP?

The C&C is $59 per person per day plus service charge.

The service charge on the C&C is 18%

$59 x 7 days = $413 + $74.34 service charge.

NCL promo paid the $59 per day and the guest paid the $74.34.

The C&C is $59 per person per day plus service charge.

The service charge on the C&C is 18%

$59 x 7 days = $413 + $74.34 service charge.

NCL promo paid the $59 per day and the guest paid the $74.34.

Ok so as long as the UBP is the promo chosen for the people in my room, as a person who will only be 20 on my next cruise i can get unlimited beer via corks and caps for the $74?

Ok so as long as the UBP is the promo chosen for the people in my room, as a person who will only be 20 on my next cruise i can get unlimited beer via corks and caps for the $74?

The OP had to get corporate approval.

IF the 20 year-old is guest #1 or #2 and IF it is approved by NCL corporate after a request is sent from the ship.

How many people are in the room? I think the UBP only applies to the first two.

So on that Post above by Dougout, it looks like he was only charged $75, yet online the corks and caps is listed at $487/person, so is the 75 just an upgrade from the soda package to Corks and caps on the person who's 18-20 and no charge for the passenger with the UBP?
The charge shown in that photo would correspond to 18% of $59/day for a 7-day cruise. I'm not sure if they had already paid 18% for her to have the soda package; if so, that should have been refunded (or maybe they just let it slide because it's less than $10, and TheDougOut is easy going like that).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I was following this thread before we left since I was also curious.

We just got off the Sky on Friday and this is what we did for 19 year old.

Upon boarding, went directly to Guest Services and signed "Young Adult Waiver". They issued him a new key card. From that moment on, he was able to obtain wine/beer. Only one bartender wanted to see his key card during the cruise, which is fine. No problems were encountered.

I hope this helps.

I can’t stress enough how random NCL can be with this sort of thing.

It is great that TheDougOut had success with this, and it is useful in that it shows that it is possible, but I do worry that people are heading off expecting to be able to get Corks and Caps for under 21s.

Cruise Critic is full of examples where different people have different experiences, on all sorts of things.

Sometimes different people on the same cruise.

I would encourage anyone in this situation to ask, and to be persistent if you don’t have immediate success. However, nothing is guaranteed and you should be prepared to deal with it if you aren’t successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk