Epic TA no water or flushing this AM Thursday

fredflint

Woke up early this morning to find out we have no running water or flushing toilets. Seems to have been off since around 2 AM they say it will be back on around 6 AM not too happy right now but hopefully it is all fixed by 6 AM. Will post more as we have more information.

It's the best time to take it out for repair, most people are asleep. They usually only do a section at a time, when they did this on sun I just headed to a public bathroom. Most won't even know it's been out. Have a good trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seems like water is back on a bit brown right now but still no flushing

The brown tinge is from the chlorine and calcium carbonate scale that forms on the inside of the pipes, and when the pipes are drained for repair, the scale dries out and falls off. Since the water onboard is constantly circulating, the scale will clear quickly, but in static legs like the pipes running to each sink, it will accumulate, and running the water for a minute or two will clear it. Likely the no flushing is caused by someone who flushed when the water was off, and either the "product" in their bowl has blocked their discharge valve, or the discharge valve leaks a little, and without water in the bowl, vacuum is lost.

On one cruise, we lost the ability to flush four times one afternoon and evening for 2 or 3 hours each time. It was caused by some cabin in our plumbing section depositing wrong items in the toilet. The stewards brought messages around to each cabin explaining don't do that. Finally, the ship's captain got on the speakers and even activated the emergency sound over ride into the cabins and explained in very clear terms that it must stop NOW! After that last repair, didn't happen again.

Nearly 2 decades of cruising and one week alone on a 7 days NCL cruise, we had this distributed to all staterooms. Subject to a $250 fees charged for (repeated ??) service call - proving disregard can be a challenge ... "wasn't from our cabin" claims.

522570929a8c50cfcfe0adc5b68dc336.jpg

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

I'm on this sailing and it was no surprise. There was a note with the dailies delivery and my steward pointed it out.

Ships are always sailing and can't be taken out of service to make repairs, so they have to do them on the fly. It's to be expected every so often. If you've never experienced similar before, I'd say you were lucky.

But no big deal. Slept right through it.

BTW, the notice also mentioned where water stations would be located during the night.

Well I'm embarking on Epic ship on the 18th and have just received a message from NCL that embarkation is delayed due to your ship's arrival back to Orlando...something about a customs issue. Now I'm wondering if it's a water issue instead...

There is a big conspiracy around every corner.

Your delay is very common when ships first arrive back in the US from Europe.

Woke up early this morning to find out we have no running water or flushing toilets. Seems to have been off since around 2 AM they say it will be back on around 6 AM not too happy right now but hopefully it is all fixed by 6 AM. Will post more as we have more information.

Wow ask for a free cruise.

What caused my issue was actually our poor room steward, he did not mention the change to us and the notice with the daily had fallen on the floor so we missed it, we did not see any notice on the TV or the phone APP. Water was brown and greyish seems to be OK now.

I’m glad I haven’t experienced no running water in the morning like you did fredflint. I’m a very early riser and one of the first things I do as part of my morning routine is to make a cup of coffee. It’s not a pretty thing when my morning routine is disrupted and I need my first cup of coffee.

jt3o7c.jpg

Well I'm embarking on Epic ship on the 18th and have just received a message from NCL that embarkation is delayed due to your ship's arrival back to Orlando...something about a customs issue. Now I'm wondering if it's a water issue instead...

I've read its pretty standard after a transatlantic sailing to delay embarkation...

We had someone try to stick a beer can in the system when we sailed the gem during spring break, the captain came on all speakers and shared they'd rushed out that and a tshirt! It happens and shouldn't.

Don't worry about the delayed embarkation, the ships done a TA and it takes a while to clear everyone

LOL yeah it is a big secret and hidden scheme to not let you know there is a possible water issue... Tin foils hats on the 8th deck! :D

You are so funny..not

Think about it for a second ok

If you were ncl and if it were a water issue would you publicize that to those getting ready to embark? I think not because there would be pax insisting on assurances about water quality safety etc before they boarded ...if they boarded at all due to the water issue

You do not know nor do I know....but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the water issue MAY in fact be the reason

I said MAY not IS

Therefore all that means is that I consider ALL possibilities before I run to the tin foil hat assumption.

Being able to see all aspects of a situation is a positive thing btw

Realistically it is probably a customs issue and honestly the op didn't need to announce the water thing on CC but my point to you is that it's not the end of the world to have enough sense to analyze things

Btw being able to analyze things has nothing to do with tin hats

It seems older ships have plumbing issues. We had issues while sailing RCL Jewel and on our recent cruise on RCL Empress we had the same notice about what not to put in toilet. I do not recall issues on newer ships.

I don't believe it was a water issue. Appears water was shut off due to a plumbing/pipe issue. I appreciate OPs heads up as we board Epic Saturday afternoon/evening or whenever the get the TA cruisers off and provisions loaded. Read they ran out of coffee and tea bags but maybe that was just in cabins. Also, seems like some were really enjoying their Free Drinks so they may need to load lots of booze before we cruise Saturday. Have been following a TA posting and one of best I have read on CC.

Right after the Carnival "poop cruise" fiasco, one of our stewards said that an occasional pax was flushing hand towels, whole bananas or other objects... TRYING to clog the toilet, hoping to get their cruise fare refunded.

Reminds me of a restaurant guest who would put one of her own hairs in her almost-done meal, and then complain and get it free.

Deliberately or not, seems like 2-6am is probably the least disruptive time to shut down the system to conduct repairs... and out at sea where they can flush quantities of waste out of the tanks.

Right after the Carnival "poop cruise" fiasco, one of our stewards said that an occasional pax was flushing hand towels, whole bananas or other objects... TRYING to clog the toilet, hoping to get their cruise fare refunded.

Reminds me of a restaurant guest who would put one of her own hairs in her almost-done meal, and then complain and get it free.

Deliberately or not, seems like 2-6am is probably the least disruptive time to shut down the system to conduct repairs... and out at sea where they can flush quantities of waste out of the tanks.

The deliberate clogging of toilets has been around long before the Triumph fire.

As for flushing waste out of the tanks at sea, this is not allowed, and really the sewage treatment and discharge system is completely separated from the vacuum toilet system. The vacuum system takes the waste to holding tanks, and the treatment plant takes if from the holding tanks. The holding tanks have the capacity of over a day's worth of all the "black" water (toilets), and "gray" water (sinks, showers, galleys, laundry) produced onboard.

But, yes, frequently we would be notified of a leak, place a temporary patch on it, and then shut the section of water down to repair it in the night.