Options for Enjoying a Drink in Our Stateroom?

BlueWaterBaby

I understand that we can not bring any alcohol but wine on board, and then that comes with a $15 corking fee for each bottle.

We do get the UBP as a perk for our booking.

My husband does not care to drink wine, however we do like to relax on our own balcony and enjoy a drink or two, maybe more on lazy at sea days.... In the past we have been a bit 'sneaky' about bringing our own but have opted not to do that this time as security has changed since our last cruise a couple years ago.

Do we have no other option but to bring our own wine? Can we buy wine we can drink on board, or does that get held until we leave like liquor? What are the reasonable options for people to enjoy a drink (other than wine) in their own space without having to repeatedly go to a bar and then trek back to your cabin without spilling any?! Will room service bring bar options?... I'm thinking this would get ridiculously expensive...

Thank you to anyone who has any solutions or answers.

I understand that we can not bring any alcohol but wine on board, and then that comes with a $15 corking fee for each bottle.

My husband does not care to drink wine, however we do like to relax on our own balcony and enjoy a drink or two, maybe more on lazy at sea days.... In the past we have been a bit 'sneaky' about bringing our own but have opted not to do that this time as security has changed since our last cruise a couple years ago.

Do we have no other option but to bring our own wine? Can we buy wine we can drink on board, or does that get held until we leave like liquor? What are the reasonable options for people to enjoy a drink (other than wine) in their own space without having to repeatedly go to a bar and then trek back to your cabin without spilling any?! Will room service bring bar options?... I'm thinking this would get ridiculously expensive...

You can buy bottles of wine on ship but it would be much cheaper to just bring your own and pay the $15 corkage. You can also buy a bar setup. Here are prices from another post:

THere are the prices for the Current Norwegian stateroom Bar setup prices. Name brand spirits are offered by the bottle. These alcoholic beverages are sold as BarSet Up amenity orders. Bar Set-Up is available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note:

Bar Set-Up is not available for purchase on-board.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. A service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied.

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram’s 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel’s Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr

Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr

Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr

Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml

Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr

Kahlua $100 1 Ltr

Rum

Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr

Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr

Scotch Whiskey

J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr

Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr

Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr

JW Black $123 980 Ml

Tequila

Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr

1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml

Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml

Vodka

Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr

Absolut $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr

Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose L’Orange $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

When guests purchase a bottle of liquor they can choose 3 garnishes and 3 mixers from the list below once they arrive on board.

Choose 3 mixers:

• Bloody Mary Mix

• Pepsi

• Club Soda

• Cranberry Juice

• Diet Pepsi

• Grapefruit Juice

• Orange Juice

• Pineapple Juice

• Sierra Mist

• Sweet and Sour Mix

• Tomato Juice

• Tonic

Choice of 3 garnishes:

• Apple slices

• Banana

• Carrot

• Celery

• Lemon slices

• Lime slices

• Maraschino Cherries

• Orange slices

• Peppers

• Pineapple wedges

• Pitted Olives

• Strawberries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room service can bring drinks but it won't be covered by the UBP and neither will the drinks in the mini-bar/fridge.

There are wine packages that you can guy one on board. I'm not familiar with the prices but i'm sure someone else will chime in.

If you have a few brands you enjoy at home I would just bring a few bottles and pay the minor corkage fee.

Enjoy.

You can buy bottles of wine on ship but it would be much cheaper to just bring your own and pay the $15 corkage. You can also buy a bar setup. Here are prices from another post:

THere are the prices for the Current Norwegian stateroom Bar setup prices. Name brand spirits are offered by the bottle. These alcoholic beverages are sold as BarSet Up amenity orders. Bar Set-Up is available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note:

Bar Set-Up is not available for purchase on-board.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. A service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied.

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram’s 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel’s Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr

Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr

Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr

Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml

Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr

Kahlua $100 1 Ltr

Rum

Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr

Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr

Scotch Whiskey

J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr

Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr

Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr

JW Black $123 980 Ml

Tequila

Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr

1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml

Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml

Vodka

Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr

Absolut $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr

Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose L’Orange $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

When guests purchase a bottle of liquor they can choose 3 garnishes and 3 mixers from the list below once they arrive on board.

Choose 3 mixers:

• Bloody Mary Mix

• Pepsi

• Club Soda

• Cranberry Juice

• Diet Pepsi

• Grapefruit Juice

• Orange Juice

• Pineapple Juice

• Sierra Mist

• Sweet and Sour Mix

• Tomato Juice

• Tonic

Choice of 3 garnishes:

• Apple slices

• Banana

• Carrot

• Celery

• Lemon slices

• Lime slices

• Maraschino Cherries

• Orange slices

• Peppers

• Pineapple wedges

• Pitted Olives

• Strawberries

So when you pick the mix/garnishes do they keep them replenished?

Just get 2 drinks each then go to your balcony. It is much cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worth the extra hassle.

The bar set up isn't just expensive, its obscene. If I take the Baileys as an example. The bar set up price for a 1L bottle is $100, at present you can buy the same 1L bottle of Baileys for just £12.90 which is a touch under $20, even though this is a promo price and I could not take it on board, I'd rather take a few walks to the bar than be exploited by NCL to the tune of roughly $80, is it really worth it to avoid a little crowding. I've been on the Epic and it isn't quite that bad.

When my wife and I decide to call it a night we stop by the nearest bar and I’ll take both of our cards so I can get two drinks. We then stop by a second bar and my wife will take both cards so she can get two drinks. With two drinks each we then head to our cabin and enjoy our drinks on the balcony. My wife likes white wine so she puts one glass in the mini-fridge while she drinks the first one. I love the UBP promotion, that’s the main reason we keep cruising on NCL.

You don’t have to be sneaky about the wine. You’re allowed to bring two bottles in your carry on. 750ml- I believe

We’ve never paid the corkage fee as we either bring a hand corker or cork-less option. We keep it in the room - on ice and I drink it whenever. I’m not a sticker about a “proper glass” so I have used the water glasses in the room. I have also saved a glass from my kiss on the lips or other cocktail and taken it back to the room and washed it out. You can pour a glass in the room and take it to dinner. There’s no open container laws on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don’t have to be sneaky about the wine. You’re allowed to bring two bottles in your carry on. 750ml- I believe

We’ve never paid the corkage fee as we either bring a hand corker or cork-less option. We keep it in the room - on ice and I drink it whenever. I’m not a sticker about a “proper glass” so I have used the water glasses in the room. I have also saved a glass from my kiss on the lips or other cocktail and taken it back to the room and washed it out. You can pour a glass in the room and take it to dinner. There’s no open container laws on the ship.

You can bring as many bottles as you like, you are supposed to pay $15 for each, as a service charge, regardless if you bring a cork screw or it’s a screw top. We paid 3 out of 4 times, after having our carry ons X-rayed. On our last cruise, there were delays in the terminal, and I didn’t even see a manned table after x-ray to get stickers. On the previous cruises, we were directed to a table to get charged.

We’ve never paid the corkage fees. ...

There is no free two-bottle allotment on NCL. There is a $15 corkage fee for every bottle regardless of whether you drink it in your cabin or in the dining room.

I'm surprised that the guys at the X-ray scanner haven't directed you to the payment table after scanning your carry on bag.

Worth the extra hassle.

The bar set up isn't just expensive, its obscene. If I take the Baileys as an example. The bar set up price for a 1L bottle is $100, at present you can buy the same 1L bottle of Baileys for just £12.90 which is a touch under $20, even though this is a promo price and I could not take it on board, I'd rather take a few walks to the bar than be exploited by NCL to the tune of roughly $80, is it really worth it to avoid a little crowding. I've been on the Epic and it isn't quite that bad.

Actually I️t is quite reasonable. You must not be familiar with how bottle service works. Yes you are correct in that you can get a bottle for about $20 at a liquor store for you to take home however this is not your home. You can say the same thing about almost anything else that is sold as a business. EX: popcorn at a movie theater. It’s called business. Also, think about if you were to pay by the drink. How many drinks do you think you get out of a bottle? $100 not looking to bad now right?

My girlfriend and I had the same delema as the OP so we brought two 20oz insulated drink containers with us, they are sleek and small and perfect for excursion days as well. We simply get 2 drinks each, transfer to the containers, then order one drink more of each type, so we have the original glass to drink from. When we need a refill, we have stored drinks in the insulated containers at a nice temp, especially if you keep them in the mini fridge while enjoying the first drink.

That made our balcony time much better in our opinion and we didn’t have to worry about spillage on the way back from the bar.

I hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by keith00200
spelling

Worth the extra hassle.

The bottle will still beat the price of individual drinks.

My girlfriend and I had the same delema as the OP so we brought two 20oz insulated drink containers with us, they are sleek and small and perfect for excursion days as well. We simply get 2 drinks each, transfer to the containers, then order one drink more of each type, so we have the original glass to drink from. When we need a refill, we have stored drinks in the insulated containers at a nice temp, especially if you keep them in the mini fridge while enjoying the first drink.

That made our balcony time much better in our opinion and we didn’t have to worry about spillage on the way back from the bar.

I hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!!

Well that sounds like just about the perfect solution. I'd heard about the insulated containers but hadn't considered getting a THIRD one to have the original glass to drink from as well. I'm not picky by any stretch but drinking chardonnay from a 20oz thermos just sounds like a hellish morning after...:')

I had read about the bar setup, worked out cost per drink, and went ahead and ordered it. Be aware- many of the staff members will have no idea that they offer this, and your experience may be greatly affected. I ordered vodka, and we brought a lot of powdered drink packets with us to use as mix-ins. The bottle was waiting in the cabin, but instead of any menu there, they had pre-chosen our mixers- tonic water, club soda and tomato juice. Not what I would want to be using with my 21 year old niece.

We asked about it, and were told we could get what we wanted at bars. But at bars, they acted like we were begging for a handout, and they hadn't heard about any bar package, It was embarrassing at times. We were able to wheedle a few cherries and lemon wedges, poured some cream from the coffee area in the buffet into a cup, and used our soda package to bring things back. We limped along like that, then came to one where we were told flatly no, and to go to Guest Services, where the initial clerk acted like we must be liars, saying she couldn't find any such thing, and why did we wait four days, huh? I'm laid back but I was upset by this point.

Her boss was able to find it, though, and saw our paid order, and sent someone immediately to the room with our choices. Except they swapped the maraschino cherries we wanted for more tomato juice. And these were BIG bottles of tomato juice. When we got that guy to understand, he returned in about 5 minutes, and we were finally good to go. No idea on what to do if we had needed refills- it was far enough into the cruise to last us. Learned my lesson- don't accept what you are told if it doesn't meet expectations- go deal with it then. Would I do it again? Yes, now that I have the full picture. I would ask for the phone number to use on the ship when making the reservation, and if there was a snafu, I'd be at Guest Services in a snap.