Better Chance at an upgrade booking direct with X?

garyl62

Although I know that getting a chance at a last minute upgrade doesn't happen often and can never be planned for, does anyone have experience that would imply the chances are better for those that book direct with Celebrity rather than with a travel agent, or doesn't really matter?

When our TA has booked a group block of rooms, we have been offered a "left over" higher category room for very minimal cost. But we do a lot of bookings so it's more a loyalty offer.

Free upgrades don't happen anymore..at least not for us.

We don't book direct, so can't help there.

The only free/surprise upgrade we ever got was a long time ago. We were bumped from a verandah cabin to a sky suite. We booked with a TA.

Our only upgrade too was quite awhile ago and we had booked via TA. We actually got on ship, went to our originally booked cabin and card did not work. Went to Customer Service desk and learned of upgrade from an ocean view cabin to a suite.

Our profile is such that I do not think we would be upgraded easily.

We had a 2B on Eclipse which we booked with Celebrity. After we had made the final payment, an agent had contacted us and offered either a Concierge or Aqua class cabin with no additional $$$. We had never heard of Aqua and decided to try it. We were happy we did.

Thanks for the replies so far, I should say though I'm not asking about a free upgrade, but I've read other posts when someone gets a call after final payments are made and is offered a better class cabin for a fee that is less than the usual cost difference. I was just wondering if those types of offers are made through TA's or to those that book direct.

We haven't been offered an upgrade by phone or email and always now book with a TA. That said, we've noticed price drops on several of our X cruises, and called out TA and upgraded for the same or less money. It pays to be watchful. (Pun semi-intended!)

Thanks for the replies so far, I should say though I'm not asking about a free upgrade, but I've read other posts when someone gets a call after final payments are made and is offered a better class cabin for a fee that is less than the usual cost difference. I was just wondering if those types of offers are made through TA's or to those that book direct.

We got a call on our last cruise selling us an upgrade into a suite.

We were on an early season cruise to St P. We were traveling with friends of which two had booked directly with Celebrity and one not. We didn't want to switch to suites unless we all could, and the booking with the TA was the problem. After many phone calls, waiting, etc. we all upgraded, however there was some nail biting because of the TA booking.