First Time Opera Passenger - Need Reviews

Island_Guy

We are looking at booking one of the Carribean cruises on Opera this January, but I am afraid of some of the reviews that I have seen, especially on cruise.com

Most everyone agrees that the ship is beautiful, but says that the food is awful and the staff is rude, especially to Americans. This being their first year in the Carribean, I am figuring staff may be more receptive, but I would hate to go on a cruise where the food was not good. Most say that it is not only not Italian, but is "unidentifiable" and "bland".

My other concern is that this is typically referred to as a "budget" cruiseline. From the prices I have seen, it appears to be about the same as Princess, but less than Crystal. I guess I don't consider that budget (thinking Carnival or Costa). Any thoughts on those statements?

Can any one share their experiences in this regard. We probably won't book for another 2-3 weeks until I am more comfortable.

We have not sailed on The Opera but we did sail on the Lirica this year.We had no problem with the food. I must say some of the choices were a little different than you may be accustomed. I did hear a lot of people complain but I can say I enjoyed most of what I had. The Lobster was the worst I have ever had but I did talk to some one from MSC and they said that has been corrected. I am anxious to hear more about the Opera. Still haven't decided which will be our next cruise. Diane

This is NOT the first year in the Caribbean for MSC.

2004 was the first year for Lirica in her inaugural season, just as 2005 will be the Caribbean debut year for Opera.

Cruising in the Caribbean with Melody and Lirica I can state that without a doubt we only experienced EXCELLENT service always helpful always willing and always polite. Perhaps that was because we treat the staff as we would like to be treated and always showed them courtesy and consideration. They are not slaves having to endure finger snapping and similar rude behaviour and never hearing the words "Please" and "Thank you".

The food was also First Class - yes like on every cruise there was the odd less enjoyable meal - but a quick word with the waiter and it was instantly replaced with a smile. Certain areas of food rate as Excellent.

Months ago I booked MSC again and look forward eagerly to Opera in 17nights in April 2005 when we sail transtlantic Fort Lauderdale to Genoa.

A returning passenger is a happy passenger.

MSC might well be labelled a "Budget" cruise but you will enjoy standards better than many 4 and 5 * American hotels resorts restaurants etc. I am not alone in my earnest wish that wholesale changes are NOT made to satisfy a vocal minority and instead the very few areas where improvement could be made receive attention.

So often one hears the complaint staff/passengers are "rude to Americans" - the implication being that Americans are the most modest intelligent considerate and courteous people on earth suffering victimisation and unfair treatment and it is "Americans" per se who suffer abuse. Never does the mental question arise "Did I behave correctly there?"

There is a review on these boards by an American which contains words to the effect "it must be remember that most Europeans do not bathe every day"! WOW! As Europeans who clean their teeth and shower at least twice every day and use deodorants and who have experienced the "great unwashed America" that is not just an offensive comment but also an idiotic one. What on earth does it have to do with a "cruise" review?

I believe that you would have a great cruise with MSC and enjoy the very high standards which they provide. Take into account the hundreds of thousands who cruise content and happy each year with MSC and ignore the few bad even false untruthful reviews written by folks with an axe to grind.

Personally I do wonder as MSC expands their fleet along with other companies where are all the new staff to be found - and that applies not just to the "service" areas. Until these new staff are trained there can indeed be problems for EVERY shipping line.

Thanks. I've listed them my past cruises in my signature below. Opera was my first review though. Will be doing one for the Elation in Feb.

Hi, I looked for that post, but could not find it. Could you direct me please. Thanks

Sorry, I'm looking for your signature with your past cruises.

Here they are:

Sunbird (West Med) August 2002

Sundream (East Carib) December 2002

Carnival Inspiration (West Carib) December 2003

Costa Mediterranea (West Carib) February 2004

MSC Opera (West Med) August 2004

Carnival Elation (West Carib) February 2005

Sorry, I'm looking for your signature with your past cruises.

Judy, if you are not seeing the sigs, you can either go into someone's profile where you will see it, or into your own profile & tick the option to enable viewing of signatures, the default seems to be not to show them. I was getting them in IE, but not in other browsers until I ticked the option.

Archived