Additional tipping

bphman

We were uphold an Owner's Suite and got an offer we couldn't turn down. As Oceania seem to have the highest gratuities added daily at $23/pp and we always add to that, I was hoping someone could give their opinions on additional tips for butler and steward. I know this is personal but tipping culture is so varied. Thanks.

We were uphold an Owner's Suite and got an offer we couldn't turn down. As Oceania seem to have the highest gratuities added daily at $23/pp and we always add to that, I was hoping someone could give their opinions on additional tips for butler and steward. I know this is personal but tipping culture is so varied. Thanks.

Yes, it's personal, but a lot also depends upon how much you use the Butler, especially.

Presumably, more would be added if one had many requests of the Butler, such as lots of en suite dining, or perhaps assistance with cocktail parties, etc.

Others have mentioned that they rarely use the Butler, and barely pay attention to the daily snacks.

GC

I tip extra to my butler and cabin attendants. (US dollars in a handwritten thank-you note, delivered in person on the last evening.) They are the number one determiner for how my trip goes/went.

Assume on any customer service surveys (not just O) that there are really only two answers no matter what the scale says: perfection and failure. Anything less than perfect isn’t a percentage of good but rather an indicator of bad. This is increasingly the interpretation in assessments.

Be kind where you can be and give the staff top marks on any numeric scale, especially if the question is about someone specifically assigned to you. You can elaborate in the comments (ex: Overall, the Polo staff were wonderful, though I could wish that they didn’t wear fragrance.)

Mention staff members who were particularly helpful by name if possible (the name tags are really hard to read) or at least by functional area.

We were uphold an Owner's Suite and got an offer we couldn't turn down. As Oceania seem to have the highest gratuities added daily at $23/pp. and we always add to that, I was hoping someone could give their opinions on additional tips for butler and steward. I know this is personal but tipping culture is so varied. Thanks.

In the GDR we just leave on the standard gratuity as we have staff each night. We did add extra when in La Bourgeoisie, as the staff were a major part of the dinner & were definitely outstanding overall. We also tip our cabin attendant as he took great care of us on our cruise. We're both in the food service/hospitality industry, so we like to take good care of our "own".

In the GDR we just leave on the standard gratuity as we have staff each night. We did add extra when in La Bourgeoisie, as the staff were a major part of the dinner & were definitely outstanding overall. We also tip our cabin attendant as he took great care of us on our cruise. We're both in the food service/hospitality industry, so we like to take good care of our "own".

What is La Bourgeoisie? Is that on another ship that I do not know?

O.K. just a menu. Thanks for the info.

No, it’s not “just a menu”. Nobody would tip extra just for the menu.

It’s a special dinner with wine pairings at La Reserve - usually with excellent service and explanations of each course and the wine accompanying the course - well above the usual dinner service in the MDR or even specialties.

We also tip extra when dining at Privee because of the attentive and personalized service.

No, it’s not “just a menu”. Nobody would tip extra just for the menu.

It’s a special dinner with wine pairings at La Reserve - usually with excellent service and explanations of each course and the wine accompanying the course - well above the usual dinner service in the MDR or even specialties.

We also tip extra when dining at Privee because of the attentive and personalized service.

Thank you for being more in depth than my post. It might be misspelled, but that's how "spellcheck" "corrected" my spelling. It was a true culinary adventure. We had some amazing guests with us as well. There were 2 guys known as the "Wine Guys" who were at our table. They travel the world to sample wines. They also teach Sommeliers the skills of the trade. Really just a fantastic evening all around. We had booked the Connoisseur meal, but too many pax had cancelled out. A number of them had booked the Cuisine Bourgeois & decided that was enough.

Doubt they would charge the normal $23 pp daily tip on a cruise that long., Go-Bucks. We are BIG Buckeye fans here. My son was the first one in his high school to go to The Ohio State University. Hope Urban is cleared of any wrongdoing. O-H

Doubt they would charge the normal $23 pp daily tip on a cruise that long.,

I believe the Gratuities are included for the RTW cruise

I think she was asking if they tip above & beyond the daily rate ..how much??

If the service was the same, why would you tip differently than on a shorter cruise—unless you just cannot afford it?

Go Bucks was not asking to tip less they were asking about tipping more.

I believe the Gratuities are included for the RTW cruise

I think she was asking if they tip above & beyond the daily rate ..how much??

That is correct....the tips are still $23/day but are included in the fare.

I was thinking about additional tips....if I'd give an extra $20/week for butler, steward, asst steward, waiter and asst waiter it would cost $2,300! Would all of you pay that much extra?

We are BIG Buckeye fans here. My son was the first one in his high school to go to The Ohio State University. Hope Urban is cleared of any wrongdoing. O-H

I-O!!

I'm an alumni (Nursing, 1990) and huge OSU football fan! All of us here in Buckeye Nation are pulling for Urban and hope to see him running out on the field with the guys on Sept 1! (yn)

I was thinking about additional tips....if I'd give an extra $20/week for butler, steward, asst steward, waiter and asst waiter it would cost $2,300! Would all of you pay that much extra?

I usually only give extra tip each segment when we do B2B & then just to the room steward & assistant

If we sat in the same section of the GDR all the time I might give the wait staff something extra

We did tip the Barrista on one cruise because we were there every day & she was so friendly

but it really is not required & is a personal choice

Yes, I actually paid about $3,400 total on our ATW in 2015 (butler and cabin stewards combined). Probably over generous, but fortunately I could afford it and they need it more than I do. Wiks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not all the same staff will be with you along the entire trip. Just tip extra for whatever is comfortable for you.

• 2 months later...

We always give the stewards who bring our breakfast to the room a few dollars every time.  Would we do that for the butler as well if he's the one that brings it?Still confused as what to tip the butler at the end of the cruise.

19 hours ago, juliet said:

We always give the stewards who bring our breakfast to the room a few dollars every time.  Would we do that for the butler as well if he's the one that brings it?Still confused as what to tip the butler at the end of the cruise.

You don’t tip the butler each time he serves you  - only at the end of the cruise (if you wish)