Best spot for Meet & Greet on R Class ships?

MisterBill99

I'll be on Insignia in 3 weeks out of NYC and want to organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. We don't have any sea days until halfway thru the cruise, so it seems like the best time for the M&G will be right after the muster drill and before sail-away (I've seen this mentioned in roll calls for similar sailings). However, I'm not sure of the best place to hold it. Looking at the other roll calls, some people have it at Martinis (deck 5) which appears to be convenient to get to after the muster. But other sailings are doing theirs at Horizons (deck 10), which is less convenient but seems like a nicer spot. Another option is Baristas, although I haven't seen that mentioned.

What do most people do? If it were a sail-away party, I'd definitely do Horizons, especially since we'll want to have a view when we sail past the Statue of Liberty. We're supposed to depart at 6pm, so I'm not sure exactly when the muster drill will be done, and we might have dispersed by the time we leave port.

Most Groups do the Meet and Greet in Horizons, because it is easier to cordon off sections up there.

Whenever you schedule your M&G there will be a small, but vocal minority who will hate the time and place because they have Spa or Restaurant conflicts.

5bc31109e6aaab04215cc41466e967c4.jpg

Take a page from Doris Day, whatever will be will be.

Most Groups do the Meet and Greet in Horizons, because it is easier to cordon off sections up there.

Whenever you schedule your M&G there will be a small, but vocal minority who will hate the time and place because they have Spa or Restaurant conflicts.

Take a page from Doris Day, whatever will be will be.

Well, if we do it before 6:30, no restaurant conflicts. And no tea conflicts the first day.

We don't have any people on the roll call so any minority will be very small.

Right after muster people will have their life jackets that need to be stowed. I think Horizons late in the day after visiting Newport would be good, soon after tea.

Hadn't thought about the life jackets I am used to not needing them for muster on other lines. I'm guessing the people scheduling them for right after muster are as well.

Doing it after Newport is an interesting idea.

depends on how many people you have on the Roll Call

We have always done it after Muster in Horizons

the drill is usually 5:15pm & people will have time to stow their life vests

When you board just ask the Concierge if they can set up a space with the sign

i-qLBFRNf-L.jpg

If people have to leave for dinner reservations they still have some time to meet up (if they choose)

We took the Insignia out of New York last month and the sail away was very popular and many went topside to see. The suggestion for another day seems best.

Well, but Horizons would be a good place to watch from, wouldn't it? On the other hand, it might be pretty busy and having any area set aside for us would be difficult.

I was going to say avoid Martinis unless you are a small group, which it appears you are! I arranged for two M&Gs in May on Riviera, where we were assigned to the Sanctuary because there were lots of alumni groups who were pretty much monopolizing Horizons. I liked the Sanctuary more than I expected, but I don't know if there is a similar space on the "R" ships. But I wasn't aware of the Sanctuary on the "O" ships until we were assigned that space!

The point about sail away is well taken but if you are in Horizons you can see from there ... if you are at a front window.

In my experience the boat drill is usually around 5:15 (regardless of when you actually sail away) and we've usually been through by 6. They seem to take somewhat longer on the "R" ships since you are led out to the boat station and then you have to wait a while for everyone to line up. My back usually gives out at that point.

While my last few M&Gs have been held right after the boat drill, especially on last two which were port intensive with no sea days at all, I think your people will want to see sailaway from the deck. The odds of your snagging the window views in Horizons is questionable, and the view from the deck is far better. They should be on the starboard side to see the Lady.

My people have wanted to meet immediately in these situations because they had arranged private tours with other passengers and wanted to meet them in advance.

Is that pertinent to your small group? If it isn't, then I'd suggest doing it later.

You can always go to the concierge and ask for his assistance in setting a time and place if you don't do it the first day.

Mura

I should add a question: just how small ARE you?

If 10-12 or less, you can just decide to go to one of the bars at a certain time. You don't have to do it on a sea day in that case.

If one of your people is in a top suite, it could even be held there.

Mura

Mura makes some great points. Sailaway days tend to be pretty busy with everyone out on the upper decks and then heading back to their cabins to prepare for dinner. Hosting it on a sea day is more relaxed with fewer scheduling conflicts. Depending on who the concierge is and how much advance notice you give them, they can make the M&G special -- a special section in Horizons with catered hors d'ouevres and mocktails, and even drop a personalized invitations at each cabin door (that little personalized reminder really boosts attendance!).

For those members who have arranged shore excursions together, they can meet up on their own on the first day, especially if the excursions are early on the itinerary, giving the concierge or the cruise director to set up a memorable M&G. On one Oceania cruise, we all brought a gift from our hometown, and exchanged them via a number draw at the M&G. On another, one member made magnetized name plaques to attach to our cabin door (and on the first day or two of the cruise when all the doors in the hallway look alike, it helps to know which one was yours!).

We've usually asked for the Horizons lounge, which has great vistas, but one time we had to use the Showroom lounge down on Deck 5 because something else was going on in Horizons. It turned out to be more intimate than the usual Horizons setting because attendees weren't distracted by the changing views outside the huge windows.

Edited by drwong

Not a big fan of doing it on sail away days but sometimes for small tour groups that need to meet up it’s necessary. Martinis is the best place for that, IMO.

The last time we did try to do something for a larger M&G, we ended up at Waves Bar. Horizons already had an Alumni group booked in taking up one complete half of that area, an Martinis was to small. That area actually worked out spectacularly. Meet and chit chat while watching the sail away if you liked. Multiple seating and standing options, and expandable as need required. Service was also far better than the more crowded Horizons.

Mura makes some great points. Sailaway days tend to be pretty busy with everyone out on the upper decks and then heading back to their cabins to prepare for dinner. Hosting it on a sea day is more relaxed with fewer scheduling conflicts. Depending on who the concierge is and how much advance notice you give them, they can make the M&G special -- a special section in Horizons with catered hors d'ouevres and mocktails, and even drop a personalized invitations at each cabin door (that little personalized reminder really boosts attendance!).

That's very nice! I organized one on HAL recently and they wanted to charge me for invitations. Fortunately we got a good turnout anyway (it was the first full day of the cruise).

I would much prefer to do it on a sea day, but we leave on Friday and our first sea day isn't until Wednesday. I'd like to be able to meet people earlier than that.

That's very nice! I organized one on HAL recently and they wanted to charge me for invitations. Fortunately we got a good turnout anyway (it was the first full day of the cruise).

I would much prefer to do it on a sea day, but we leave on Friday and our first sea day isn't until Wednesday. I'd like to be able to meet people earlier than that.

I have organized a couple of meet and greets on Oceana. The last one we didn’t have a Sea day for for several days so we did it immediately following the muster drill in Horizons. I submitted a request prior to departing for the cruise on O’s website asking them to let the Concierge on our ship know the plans. When I embarked, I left a message for him with reception since he was busy with embarkation. When I went up to Horizons, a section in the front had the Meet and Greet sign up and almost all of the Officers made an appearance.

Planning for a quick 30 minutes after Muster seemed to work well for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have organized a couple of meet and greets on Oceana. The last one we didn’t have a Sea day for for several days so we did it immediately following the muster drill in Horizons. I submitted a request prior to departing for the cruise on O’s website asking them to let the Concierge on our ship know the plans. When I embarked, I left a message for him with reception since he was busy with embarkation. When I went up to Horizons, a section in the front had the Meet and Greet sign up and almost all of the Officers made an appearance.

Planning for a quick 30 minutes after Muster seemed to work well for everyone.

That sounds really nice but what time did you schedule it for? Someone else said that the muster was usually at 5:15 (although that sounds a little late for a 6pm sailing) which means you wouldn't be able to schedule the M&G until 6pm, which is really too late.

6pm hasn't been too late for the last 2-3 M&Gs I set up. Because of scheduling everyone opted to do the M&G right after the 5:15 boat drill. It's easier on the "O" ships since you don't have to actually go out to the boats, which you DO have to do on the "R" ships.

For people who want to dine at 6:30, yes, that WOULD be a problem. Our experience has been that people dine a bit later on embarkation day. There are always exceptions to any rule ...

Mura

That sounds really nice but what time did you schedule it for? Someone else said that the muster was usually at 5:15 (although that sounds a little late for a 6pm sailing) which means you wouldn't be able to schedule the M&G until 6pm, which is really too late.

Why is it too late?

Just off Marina last week & our M & G was after Muster I was there about 5:45pm with name tags & some people were already there

some left for dinner but many lingered over drinks & chatted until about 7 pm

This July our muster on the Regatta was at 4:15.

What time was sailaway?

Usually IME if sail away is 6pm or later muster is usually at 5:15 pm

If sailaway is earlier like 5pm the Muster is earlier as they do it before sailing

What time was sailaway?

Usually IME if sail away is 6pm or later muster is usually at 5:15 pm

If sailaway is earlier like 5pm the Muster is earlier as they do it before sailing

When I organized the M&G on embarkation day, the time was 5:30 or 6 (I can’t remember). On the roll call we basically said immediately after muster. Some folks were there quickly and others joined a bit later.

When I organized the M&G on embarkation day, the time was 5:30 or 6 (I can’t remember). On the roll call we basically said immediately after muster. Some folks were there quickly and others joined a bit later.

That is what I do also

If people want to come great if they cannot make it OK too

There is no right or wrong way to do it

• 2 weeks later...
OK so I think I want to do it between muster and sail-away. Can I contact someone at Oceania in advance to reserve a space for us in Horizons or will I need to wait until I get on the ship?

On the ship only. The folks who handle this type of thing are stationed on the vessel and they are required to concentrate exclusively on those guests which are presently with them.

This may seem awkward now, but oddly it will seem the height of sensibility once you have stepped over the gangway.

Don't be concerned, as long as you have your ducks in a row. A guest list containing names and cabin numbers, is just about everything that will ever be required.

Enjoy!