Late night food & drink (non-alcoholic) on Oceania?

MisterBill99

Is there anyplace to get a late night snack (like 10pm or so) or a glass of iced tea or cup of coffee on Oceania ships? On Celebrity, the Cafe al Bacio coffee bar is open until at least midnight and they have pastries as well as coffee/tea drinks. We would often stop there after the show, along with many others. On Holland America, they actually have a late night buffet from 10:30-11:30pm, and I believe the beverage stations up there are accessible 24 hours a day. I know I can order room service, but is there anyplace to get a snack once The Terrace closes? I don't think that Baristas is open late, in fact I found an old copy of Currents and it showed that they closed at 6pm.

Edited by MisterBill99

Currents lists coffee service as being available 24 hours in Horizons. On Insignia the coffee bar is across from the area sectioned off for the artist’s loft. In the morning there are pastries....but, I have no idea if they have those out late night.

worst case ... grab some cookies or a snack from the buffet & put in the cabin/fridge or call room service it is open 24/7

Honestly after eating all day the last thing I need at 11pm is more food

YMMV

worst case ... grab some cookies or a snack from the buffet & put in the cabin/fridge or call room service it is open 24/7

Honestly after eating all day the last thing I need at 11pm is more food

YMMV

Probably the best suggestion...

Oceania cruises are usually port intensive, so doubt there is sufficient "night life" to warrant having late night or all-night snack venue's open like there are on mass-market mega-ships...

Probably the best suggestion...

Oceania cruises are usually port intensive, so doubt there is sufficient "night life" to warrant having late night or all-night snack venue's open like there are on mass-market mega-ships...

some people complain the ship is dead at 9 pm :halo:

obviously some people are at the show until 10:15pm

but maybe some munchies in the bars would help keep people up later

That is a shame. We were on the QM2 and they had hot and cold food in the buffet at 1AM (maybe later).

What they have on Celebrity in Cafe al Bacio is perfect for me. Fresh coffee and tea drinks, and pastries if you're hungry. Holland America does a small buffet at 10:30 but that's generally more than I need. They also did a chocolate "parade" (basically a walking buffet) one night around 10pm.

I told someone that I was going on a cruise this week and the topic of midnight buffets came up. They were shocked to hear that they are no more (at least not on the lines I sail). I gather than Oceania never had them to begin with.

What they have on Celebrity in Cafe al Bacio is perfect for me. Fresh coffee and tea drinks, and pastries if you're hungry. Holland America does a small buffet at 10:30 but that's generally more than I need. They also did a chocolate "parade" (basically a walking buffet) one night around 10pm.

I told someone that I was going on a cruise this week and the topic of midnight buffets came up. They were shocked to hear that they are no more (at least not on the lines I sail). I gather than Oceania never had them to begin with.

I think most lines have done away with the midnight buffets

You may be disappointed with the lack of food on Oceania in the off hours

You can get tea & coffee at the self serve station in the Terrace after hours & maybe Horizons

some bars have coffee but if not they can always send someone to get you one

Edited by LHT28

Count me with those who don't have a need for a "snack" after a big dinner, even if I've gone to the show!

But someone who has an early dinner and stays up late ... that I can see.

We haven't seen midnight buffets since our two cruises on QE2. That was in 2004, I think.

Mura

I'm glad I clicked on this thread because now I have a question. As a diabetic, travel plays hell with my glucose levels. No matter what I do I always have several hypo episodes, and I rely on the fruit basket in the cabin to get me through one that occurs late at night. So..... is there a fruit basket in the cabins on O? I can certainly grab some fruit somewhere on board to keep in the fridge, but forewarned is forearmed.

I'm glad I clicked on this thread because now I have a question. As a diabetic, travel plays hell with my glucose levels. No matter what I do I always have several hypo episodes, and I rely on the fruit basket in the cabin to get me through one that occurs late at night. So..... is there a fruit basket in the cabins on O? I can certainly grab some fruit somewhere on board to keep in the fridge, but forewarned is forearmed.

no fruit basket in A to C cabins

If you have a butler I am sure they can get you what you need

I would grab something from breakfast or lunch or carry some kind of snack bars

I always carry glucose tabs and a glucose pen for emergencies. I will grab some fruit from the buffet. Hypo hangovers are always less severe for me with fruit instead of just sugar/glucose. Snack bars take too long to bring the numbers up. Thanks for letting me know the lay of the land.

Just been on our first Oceania cruise. Insignia.

Our main disappointment was the lack of Coffee facilities.

We enjoy leisurely coffee after our meals on all our other cruises especially after dinner. The coffee place outside the main dinning room closes at about 5pm. I say about as if people were sitting there the chap didn’t always stop serving till about 6pm on several nights. Room service was very very slow for coffee however this is the first cruise we have done which wasn’t in a suite so please judge room service speed for yourself.

Coffee plus a after dinner liqueur is treat for us and although we were serviced very well after every meal we would have preferred a different venue.

The serve yourself from a machine in Horizons just didn’t work for me.

However to be truthful we drank after dinner martinis instead.

As for snacks there isn’t any.

However our son was well catered for as he needs a large bottle of water plus a snack for his late night medication.

The staff helped. It was a bit hit and miss ( after all we realise he proberbly wasn’t the only one ) but a simple reminder had them rushing to help.

The balcony plus bathroom was fine, yes the bathrooms small but this didn’t matter after the first day.

However after years of saying we don’t really use the Butler I realise that we are either delusional or big fat liars.

Enjoy your cruise

Just been on our first Oceania cruise. Insignia.

Our main disappointment was the lack of Coffee facilities.

We enjoy leisurely coffee after our meals on all our other cruises especially after dinner. The coffee place outside the main dinning room closes at about 5pm.

Enjoy your cruise

Barristas usually close at 6pm (check Currents for time)

However you could ask for coffee after dinner in the GDR if you prefer to sit elsewhere though

yes it is limited

I believe Horizons bar have fresh brewed coffee at the bar but this may have changed

we usually just get coffee with our dessert at dinner

it works for us

YMMV

I think most lines have done away with the midnight buffets

Carnival (at least on the Horizon) still has a midnight buffet from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM....

NCL has a 24 hour restaurant in their atrium area. RCI and Princess also offer 24 hour food in their atrium area's. These are large ships.

There may be some other's...

All cruise ships have at least coffee and tea always open...

Carnival (at least on the Horizon) still has a midnight buffet from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM....

NCL has a 24 hour restaurant in their atrium area. RCI and Princess also offer 24 hour food in their atrium area's. These are large ships.

There may be some other's...

All cruise ships have at least coffee and tea always open...

Good to know

we do not cruise on those mega ships but it is helpful to those that do

Coffee/tea is always available on O at the self serve station or room service

we do not cruise on those mega ships but it is helpful to those that do

I know that this is the Oceania board and relative to them, anything over 2000 passengers is huge, but you really should stop describing them as "mega". I only consider the 5000+ passenger ships to be that large and there are plenty of ships in the 2000-3000 passenger range which most people would not consider mega.