confused re: travel arrangements post cruise

grest

Seward is about 125 miles from the airport in Anchorage; 4 hrs by train or 3 hrs by bus.

If available on your travel date, there's a cruise contracted train which leaves around 7am, otherwise the regularly scheduled Alaska Railroad departure is at 6pm. With the late train you could spend the day exploring in Seward, then take the train to Anc arriving at 10pm, overnight, then fly to Seattle the next morning.

If you don't want to take the train to Anchorage, other options include cruiseline transfer, independent transfers, Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, or HERTZ rental car.

Alaska Airlines has almost hourly flights between Anchorage and SeaTac. When you arrive at SeaTac Airport it will be a 20 minute cab ride to the train depot downtown.

it sounds complicated....I guess it's a definite to get to Anchorage....then I think we can make arrangements with amtrak. Thanks for the suggestions/information

When does your train leave Seattle?

Also, I am not familiar with using Amtrak, but I would be surprised if they provided transportation from Anchorage to Seattle. You will probably need to book your own flights. The sooner you can book, the better your chance is of getting a good rate and the times that you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are no trains between Alaska and the lower 48. You'll have to fly from Anchorage to Seattle. From the Seattle airport there's a light rail train (also cabs, Ubers etc.) to the Amtrak station in downtown Seattle.

You do know that Seward is sort of far from Seattle - don't you. It doesn't really matter what you are doing once you get so Seattle so the fact that you have to catch a train in Seattle is sort of irrelevant.

DON

I’m starting to think the OP’s Original Post was a sarcastic post to see how people responded. Based on the signature, they have been on CC since 2005 and have taken multiple cruises. Surely they were aware of where the cruise ended and the options to get back. But maybe they just looked at a small map and assumed it was a short bus or train ride back to Seattle.

I’m starting to think the OP’s Original Post was a sarcastic post to see how people responded. Based on the signature, they have been on CC since 2005 and have taken multiple cruises. Surely they were aware of where the cruise ended and the options to get back. But maybe they just looked at a small map and assumed it was a short bus or train ride back to Seattle.

No, not a sarcastic post....for some reason I was baffled by this. Obviously I know the cruise starts in Vancouver and ends in Seward...new to Alaska cruising. For what it's worth, I wouldn't waste your time with a question I already know the answer to. Perhaps I need to stop asking.

Since Seward is 1,400 miles away from Seattle, the choices are limited. The easiest and fastest is shuttle/train to Anchorage and flight to Seattle as noted above. Some people elect to sail back on the cruise ship but that obviously is considerably longer and more expensive.

I think the reason people were skeptical of the post was the shear distances involved and the lack of what portion confused you.

No, not a sarcastic post....for some reason I was baffled by this. Obviously I know the cruise starts in Vancouver and ends in Seward...new to Alaska cruising. For what it's worth, I wouldn't waste your time with a question I already know the answer to. Perhaps I need to stop asking.

A simple route check on Google Maps would have shown the geographical locations of the 2 cities and also the only land route between them - which is BTW 2385 miles down the Alcan Highway. For your refernce, here is your route guide

- https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Seward,+AK+99664/Seattle,+WA/@55.1551348,-144.5251358,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x56c79b6ef22affc5:0x5be160c236d211bf!2m2!1d-149.4422222!2d60.1041667!1m5!1m1!1s0x5490102c93e83355:0x102565466944d59a!2m2!1d-122.3320708!2d47.6062095!3e0?hl=en

Clicking on the public transit icon would have shown you that there is no transit route between the 2 places.

If you do any traveling, you have to know how to use Google Maps. It is invaluable.