Panama

waywest

There is a whole forum here for the Panama Canal, under Ports of Call. But don't plan on seeing it from your balcony. You will want to be out and about. Pick a ship that has a wraparound promenade deck. But you have a lot of studying to do. Do you want to do a full transit, and from what direction? Or a partial transit? Do you want to go through the old locks, or the new? You also need to consider the other ports on the itinerary. Suggest you go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose Panama Canal (cruising) as a port of call. It will tell you who is cruising and show their itineraries. When you have done some research, come back and ask more questions. EM

Any balcony deck is high enough as the lock entry is at water level, and you either rise or descend in the lock depending on direction and elevation change. But agree with EM and the promenade deck or bow area (if accessible on your ship) are also good vantage points. On our Panama cruise we were able to reach out over the railing from the Promenade deck and touch the wall of the lock as our ship was a Panamax ship at the time in the old canal locks and we were only a couple of feet off the wall. Doubt if that would be possible now if transiting in the new locks.

We had a balcony, but totally agree that being on the deck is your best place on this cruise. You also really want to traverse the old locks in a Panamax ship, especially if you are a history buff. Also take some time to read about the building of the canal. I highly recommend McCullough’s The Path Between the Seas.

The deck your cabin is on doesn't matter. You MUST get out and about....roam the ship. There are views everywhere...you need to move from side to side and deck to deck...If you sit on a balcony, you will miss 3/4's of the sights. Someone in an inside cabin will see as much as anyone else....you MUST move around!

My aft verandah staterooms on Holland America ships let me see all of the canal with no crowding at the railings, my own bathroom, my own lounge chair next to the railing, no cameras blocking mine, overhead shade, Room Service just a call away, and A/C nearby without losing my spot at the railing. Most would disagree but my photos show the advantages of an aft stateroom:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/panama-canal/panama-canal-eastbound-gatun-locks

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/panama-canal/panama-canal-westbound

Completed most of my Panama Canal transits (>12) from the Bridge and in later years, as a passenger, we have had balcony cabins aft and on both sides of the ship.

In my opinion, the aft cabin was great, with the benefits outlined in a previous post. From the balcony on either side you miss way too much. Aboard ships the best views are normally found on the Bridge, therefore, on all cruises as a passenger I head to one of the fwd viewing decks below the Bridge.

Sadly, I note these decks are not available on many of the newer ships.