Cruising as a family of 5

Celeste548

Hello! I was looking for some thoughts as I start think about our next cruise, when we will be a family of 5. We've cruised as four without a problem, but it seems that finding a room to accommodate 5 is more challenging.

We're looking to cruise the Caribbean or Panama Canal next year (in the colder months). Our kids will be 5, 3, and 1 at the time of sailing. I've looked at booking two rooms (interior and balcony) and only using the balcony room, but that seems so wasteful to pay for a room we won't use.

Any cruise line recommendations on who does this well? We want a balcony, but also want to keep the costs reasonable.

Tips based on what you've found successful for your family?

Thank you!

I just looked at a ton of cruises for Spring break and finding a balcony room that could accommodate 5 was rare. Most ships only offered ocean views for 5. (NCL Bliss, HAL Nieuw Statendam (2 showers!), several carnival ships)

MSC Seaside had a family double balcony that was pretty reasonably priced. It is two connecting balcony rooms. It's a little tricky to find on their website. Search for a room for 2 and when you get to the room selection page, change your passengers to 5 and it should show up.

We chose a different cruise based on itinerary. My parents are coming with us so they are taking one of the kids in their room.

I would definitely call the cruiseline or book through a travel agent.

We are in the early planning stages for a cruise in early 2020. Our kids will be 6,4, and 2 by then so same ages as yours and while I've been able to find a way to book a Disney cruise online with 5 passengers in one cabin our plans are now leaning towards another cruiseline and I haven't found any way to book online without booking 2 cabins.

There will be more options over the phone, as time-consuming as I know it is to have to research that way!

The Grand Suites on the Carnival Fantasy class ships have a capacity of 5. The Ocean View rooms also hold 5 people.

I have done the Southern itinerary out of San Juan twice (Fascination is currently sailing from there) and really enjoy the stops, but haven't done it on that class of ship, only the Liberty and Valor.

We are doing a Fall Break with the kids out of Mobile in a Grand Suite on the Fantasy, but it is a short, 5 day trip.

We haven't gotten to the point where we can put the kids in their own room yet because they are 10, 8, and almost 2, so I understand the challenge. Good luck!

The Grand Suites on the Carnival Fantasy class ships have a capacity of 5. The Ocean View rooms also hold 5 people.

I have done the Southern itinerary out of San Juan twice (Fascination is currently sailing from there) and really enjoy the stops, but haven't done it on that class of ship, only the Liberty and Valor.

We are doing a Fall Break with the kids out of Mobile in a Grand Suite on the Fantasy, but it is a short, 5 day trip.

We haven't gotten to the point where we can put the kids in their own room yet because they are 10, 8, and almost 2, so I understand the challenge. Good luck!

You can if they are connecting, just leave the door open.

RCI's Allure of the Seas and sister ships have cabins for 5 people, but you just missed their July-long Kids Sail Free campaign....

You could also book 2 adjoining cabins: parent with 2 kids, parent with 1 kid. Then keep the door between cabins open and have the 2 older kiddos sleep in the other cabin.

Our kids will be 5, 3, and 1 at the time of sailing. I've looked at booking two rooms (interior and balcony) and only using the balcony room,\

that would be extremely tight, unless you get some kind of a huge balcony room. We were in a deluxe balcony room on Regal Princess last year with our then 6 yo kid, and I can't imagine having 2 more kids sleep in it. 2 kids in bunks - yes, ok, if they don't fall off (the 3 yo), but where are you going to put the 1 yo?

Had same problem...family of 5 (w/ 9/7/2). We sailed before w/ 4 to a cabin, but a 5th was a challenge to find reasonable prices. Usually cruise an NCL, so some of the ships have ocean views that accommodate 5. Ended up booking a 2-bedroom balcony suite instead with a different ship. It didn’t cost that much more for the total trip (flights were cheaper since cruise was Fri. - Fri vs. Sun - Sun, received more OBC, received more perks). So I’d look it pricing suites as well.

I know Disney does 5 person balcony rooms, however not sure what your definition of reasonable cost is. FWIW, our suite was cheaper than booking through DCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RCI's Allure of the Seas and sister ships have cabins for 5 people, but you just missed their July-long Kids Sail Free campaign....

You could also book 2 adjoining cabins: parent with 2 kids, parent with 1 kid. Then keep the door between cabins open and have the 2 older kiddos sleep in the other cabin.

that would be extremely tight, unless you get some kind of a huge balcony room. We were in a deluxe balcony room on Regal Princess last year with our then 6 yo kid, and I can't imagine having 2 more kids sleep in it. 2 kids in bunks - yes, ok, if they don't fall off (the 3 yo), but where are you going to put the 1 yo?

Could have the 1 yo sleep on queen bed in between parents. I’ve done before in hotel before.

We booked a Jr. Suite on Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas that has a pull down bed to accomadate 5 guests. The kids are young enough to all sleep on the pull out couch or 1 with you while an adult sleeps in the pull down. Not all Jr. Suites have them so you have to be sure it does.

RCI had a deal for half off second adult and kids under 12 sail free. You have to pay their taxes and fees (ours were under 125.00). We also got 200.00 a room onboard credit and since it's a suite we got free gratuities for up to 2 adults. Best deal ever!

Could have the 1 yo sleep on queen bed in between parents. I’ve done before in hotel before.

Cruise lines will not let you do this. With such young kids it is not good value to have to split into two rooms only one of which you will really use. MSC Seaside has rooms that will fit 5 that are great value with kids sailing free. At the other end of the price scale NCL Haven has nice two bedroom rooms that fit 5.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear ya'!! We are also a family of 5 and I've spent countless hours looking for the best way for us to cruise. We've done a 'family suite' on NCL (perks were nice, room was huge but one open area), Disney regular balcony (surprisingly good size, kids loved that there were 3 single beds, and Disney was all-around amazing), and recently we did two connecting balconies on NCL (two bathrooms a plus, privacy with being able to close the door between if we wished, but they wouldn't open the divider between balconies so we ended up just using one). We are past having nap times but it is still nice to have some sort of division at bedtime so my husband and I aren't sitting silently in the dark waiting for kids to fall asleep!

If you are planning on your kids spending some time at kid's club, research that before deciding on a cruise line. Some are more structured than others, and will appeal to different kids. We have had 2 kids that hated the NCL clubs (the 3rd was indifferent), but all 3 loved the Disney clubs. Others have had different reactions - all depends on your kids.

Try giving Royal a call on the phone. I believe with the ages of your kids you can get the balcony room and add a roll away bed. It would mean less space in the room, but hopefully you won't spend much time there anyway. Then, you can save on the cost of the interior room. Or, keep the interior room and use that as the nap room during the days. Maybe some of the other cruise lines will allow adding the roll away bed for younger kids as well.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the family suites on Carnival Vista class ships.....we did a deluxe family suite on Disney 2 years ago and have the Carnival family suite booked for December. Room layout seems very similar, with beds for 5 and 2 bathrooms....but was less than half the cost of Disney.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...