Club HAL Questions

cruisegirl06

Club HALs current age groups are 3-6, 7-12 and teen. Does anyone know if they let kids go down an age group? My oldest will have recently turned 7 when we sail - I'm not sure if she'll be into the "tween" activities and may prefer to be with her 5YO sister if they allow it.

Just wanted to see what others had experienced so I can prepare her accordingly. (We're sailing over New Years, so I imagine there will be a decent number of kids)

Also, is the 7-12 YO group allowed to sign themselves in/out of the club? If so, can we chose not to let them?

You can try to talk to them privately when no one else is around, as they won't want to move a million kids. Be extremely polite, as they are not required to accommodate your request. In general, lines are more likely to move children down than up. You can also call HAL and see if they will give you the numbers of children on board (some phone operators are willing to release this information; others are not). As you noted, it is quite possible there may be significant numbers of children on this cruise. On our HAL cruise right after new years, there were less than 20 kids and all ages were combined. Best of luck - I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the responses!

Agreed - regardless of which group she is in, I don't want her to be able to sign out, so I'm glad I can restrict that. I don't think she would anyways, but just in case.

I'll see how she's feeling and possibly ask about moving her down. The girls may prefer some time in their own clubs anyways, but it's good to remember we can always ask if moving her down seems best.

• 1 month later...

I believe the age group is 8-12. My son was 12 last summer and would NOT participate in ClubHAL because they do NOT allow sign in/sign out privileges for Club HAL. He spent the entire cruise trying to sneak into The Loft where his brother and sister were. They are VERY strict there as well. He got caught twice and kicked out so he stopped trying. Blessedly, my teens ended up having more fun outside The Loft.

• 2 months later...

We have sailed HAL twice. On the Amsterdam 18 night over Christmas there were 150 kids 0-17 on the ship. They mixed the younger two clubs regularly as the youngest club did not have a lot of kids. Or they started separate some days and mixed if the numbers were low. They were amazing. My kids loved them!!

The following year on the Nieuw Amsterdam (bigger ship), 10 night, there were about 300 kids on board (if I remember correctly) and they rarely mixed as there seemed to always be just enough little ones. I didn't think the club staff was as amazing as the prior year, but that is just a personality thing. They were ok, but didn't seem as comfortable with the little ones. I did have to laugh one night they had a pj party and we came up around 9 to pick our boys up and all but a couple kids fell asleep watching the movie :)

Ages 7-12 don't have check in/out privledges on HAL>