Roatan Snorkeling via boat or shore

Snowwatcher

Need help! We will be in Roatan in a couple of weeks and plan to go snorkeling. May family has been snorkeling for years and are excited to be going to Roatan based on other posts we have read. We are trying to decide if we should snorkeling from shore or hop on a tour boat. We went to Cozumel 2 years in a row. The first year we snorkeled from shore at Chankanaab Beach and the second year we did the boat tour to El Cielo and drift snorkeled over Palancar and Columbia. Needless to say we lost out the first year by not booking a boat tour. I have heard the shore snorkeling from West Bay beach is very good and many of the tour boats stop there. Will we be happy snorkeling from shore or will we be missing out by not getting a boat tour? Are the best reefs in Roatan only accessible via boat?

I can't really discuss snorkeling from shore, but I do ready many posts about it on Roatan's Port of Call page. I'm an experienced snorkeler as well and use Roatan Ocean Adventure's 3 stop snorkel tour. A fantastic combination of snorkel sites and Herbert the owner is very eco friendly. In fact he's actually growing coral to plant on the reef to expand/replenish.Hope this helps!

I can't really discuss snorkeling from shore, but I do ready many posts about it on Roatan's Port of Call page. I'm an experienced snorkeler as well and use Roatan Ocean Adventure's 3 stop snorkel tour. A fantastic combination of snorkel sites and Herbert the owner is very eco friendly. In fact he's actually growing coral to plant on the reef to expand/replenish.Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input. I have heard good things about Ocean Adventure tours. If we decide to go by boat we will certainly contact this tour group.

• 1 month later...

We just spent 8 days at an all inclusive on West Bay in Roatan. It is so easy to walk down the beach and swim out a very short distance to an incredible reef. There is a large channel with 20-30 feet deep coral on either side. We saw octopus, lobster, squid, barracuda, huge parrot fish, etc. It was one of the best snorkel sights we've been to. It is also a great reef for beginners as much of it is just yards from shore and very shallow.

We just spent 8 days at an all inclusive on West Bay in Roatan. It is so easy to walk down the beach and swim out a very short distance to an incredible reef. There is a large channel with 20-30 feet deep coral on either side. We saw octopus, lobster, squid, barracuda, huge parrot fish, etc. It was one of the best snorkel sights we've been to. It is also a great reef for beginners as much of it is just yards from shore and very shallow.

Where did you stay? I was looking for a place to stay.

Thanks again for the input. We will sign up for a boat excursion. Can't wait Roatan looks great.

We did a tour with Roatan Ocean Adventures last week that was absolutely fantastic. Small group snorkeling, great people working there, and some absolutely amazing snorkel spots. We wholeheartedly recommend him, and the photos he sent us after the trip were an added bonus as well.

Thanks for all the input. We ended up canceling our excursion before we got on the boat because the whether forecast indicated it was going to rain all day. The day ended up being bright and sunny so we took a taxi to the West Bay area and signed up for a snorkel boat excursion right on the beach. They took us to a spot about a mile away. The snorkeling was good. Then when we got back to shore we walked to the end of West Bay beach (near the rock wall) and snorkeled right from shore. The shore snorkeling from this spot was great. Glad we did the boat excursion because it was our first trip to Roatan and we had no idea what to expect, but if your on a budget the shore snorkeling was great. Roatan was the best snorkeling I have seen in recent years. Enjoy.