What to do in Buenos Aires?

Bsanr

I am looking for ideas of what to do in Buenos Aires on the day our ship docks. I know that we will have to be off the ship around 9am and Our flight is not until 10pm that night. The ship tours do not look too exciting but I do not want to sit at the airport all day!

You might try contacting Buenos Tours (https://www.buenostours.com/). It looks like they may be able to make transportation arrangements in addition to an all day walking tour. We did the 4 hour 'walking' tour (that included a van ride, taxi ride, and bus ride in addition to walking) on a port day in December 2016 and it was an excellent excursion with a fabulous guide (Jessica - an American expat). I see on their website that they offer up to 8 hour tours. If they can't help you, they may be able to point you in the right direction since they are very knowledgeable. Good luck!

Hello,

We are planning to leave the ship the day we dock in BA and go straight to a hotel. (Intercontinental) That way we will miss the hassle of disembarking with everyone the next day and then have to find a place for our luggage and rest. We have been to BA before and have taken the above walking tour. It was very good. My husband wants to visit as many restaurants in BA as we have time for. We will ask the hotel for a late checkout, as our flight does not leave until 9pm the day after we get off the ship. I think we can pay for it. The market at San Telmo is very interesting but if you get a chance I would definitely take an organized 4-8 hour tour. I think the airport holiday inn has day rates.

Good luck

I am looking for ideas of what to do in Buenos Aires on the day our ship docks. I know that we will have to be off the ship around 9am and Our flight is not until 10pm that night. The ship tours do not look too exciting but I do not want to sit at the airport all day!

We were in this exact same situation on our Antarctica cruise. We elected to do the 9-hour excursion that the cruise line offered and really enjoyed it. Figured that with airport drop-off at the end, it was just a convenient way to go. Our first stop was at La Recoleta Cemetery (amazing!), then the Caminito Street area after which we had some free time to explore the waterfront, then headed out into the countryside to Estancia La Mimosa. If you've not been to one of these ranches or working farms - I'd highly recommend it. The barbecue lunch alone that is served is really something. There was lots to do there, capped off by a gaucho horse show and other entertainment. Afterwards it was time to head back to the airport. So I don't know what cruise line you're using or what the available excursions are, but ours was well worth it and filled the time! As you said, we didn't want to spend all day at the airport.

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

We were in this exact same situation on our Antarctica cruise. We elected to do the 9-hour excursion that the cruise line offered and really enjoyed it. Figured that with airport drop-off at the end, it was just a convenient way to go. Our first stop was at La Recoleta Cemetery (amazing!), then the Caminito Street area after which we had some free time to explore the waterfront, then headed out into the countryside to Estancia La Mimosa. If you've not been to one of these ranches or working farms - I'd highly recommend it. The barbecue lunch alone that is served is really something. There was lots to do there, capped off by a gaucho horse show and other entertainment. Afterwards it was time to head back to the airport. So I don't know what cruise line you're using or what the available excursions are, but ours was well worth it and filled the time! As you said, we didn't want to spend all day at the airport.

Enjoy!!

This sounded like such a good idea that I checked our cruise excursion brochure in an effort to book, but unfortunately this type of tour is not listed for our Dec disembarkation day. Does anyone have suggestions for tour companies that provide a 9hr excursion that includes tour of BA, Gaucho show + BBQ, ending with drop off at the airport?

There is a tour organizer on our March 10 Eclipse who is offering a Gaucho tour out of BA precruise. It is with BsAs Travelers owned by Andreas Miguel. I found their website: http://bsastravelers.com/ If you check out our roll call, you can find a link to the roll call member's contact info in his signature- BillandChristy.is his cruise critic name. He might be able to provide more information about the company and tour.

Disclaimer- we've not booked any tours through Bill. In BA we are taking the HoHo on arrival day, a walking tour of Boca/San Telmo with Buenostours and a day tour with Fabian of Tours by Locals. Definitely check out these 2 companies as well!

There is a tour organizer on our March 10 Eclipse who is offering a Gaucho tour out of BA precruise. It is with BsAs Travelers owned by Andreas Miguel. I found their website: http://bsastravelers.com/ If you check out our roll call, you can find a link to the roll call member's contact info in his signature- BillandChristy.is his cruise critic name. He might be able to provide more information about the company and tour.

Disclaimer- we've not booked any tours through Bill. In BA we are taking the HoHo on arrival day, a walking tour of Boca/San Telmo with Buenostours and a day tour with Fabian of Tours by Locals. Definitely check out these 2 companies as well!

Thanks for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 5:58 PM, kathynorth said:

This sounded like such a good idea that I checked our cruise excursion brochure in an effort to book, but unfortunately this type of tour is not listed for our Dec disembarkation day. Does anyone have suggestions for tour companies that provide a 9hr excursion that includes tour of BA, Gaucho show + BBQ, ending with drop off at the airport?

Check out the "Best of Buenos Aires (Ending at Airport)" excursion.  It's what I've booked and appears to be exactly the same description that you're seeking if your flight leaves after 9 PM.  The only negative I can see is that it leaves the ship at 7:30 AM and is scheduled to be at EZE by 4:30 PM, so even allowing the 3 hour pre-flight check in, I'll still have a significant wait at EZE.  I'm choosing to look on the bright side since I'd rather wait than miss my flight! 

1 hour ago, Free2bMeForever said:

Check out the "Best of Buenos Aires (Ending at Airport)" excursion.  It's what I've booked and appears to be exactly the same description that you're seeking if your flight leaves after 9 PM.  The only negative I can see is that it leaves the ship at 7:30 AM and is scheduled to be at EZE by 4:30 PM, so even allowing the 3 hour pre-flight check in, I'll still have a significant wait at EZE.  I'm choosing to look on the bright side since I'd rather wait than miss my flight! 

When I made this post a couple of weeks ago this excursion wasn’t showing in the tour listings for our cruise, but has since become available. Now we can enjoy the last day of our trip without worrying about luggage and transfers.

I also have this problem, late flight.  So I appreciate the ideas, and would like any other suggestions.  Right now I'm scheduled for a Norwegian tour that gets to the airport at 4:30pm.  I've been told you can only go through security 3 hours before your flight at EZE airport.  Does anyone know of a restaurant before security you could stay at for a few hours?

On 10/17/2018 at 10:44 PM, Free2bMeForever said:

Can you explain the 3 hour pre-flight check in?  I was told I can't go through security until 3 hours before my flight.  Are you referring to something else?  Does it take 3 hours to get through security???  I did go through EZE but it's been a very long time and I don't remember much about it.

Are you on Norwegian?  I believe we might have the same excursion, just different days.

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Can you explain the 3 hour pre-flight check in?  I was told I can't go through security until 3 hours before my flight.  Are you referring to something else?  Does it take 3 hours to get through security???  I did go through EZE but it's been a very long time and I don't remember much about it.

Are you on Norwegian?  I believe we might have the same excursion, just different days.

Sorry for any confusion.  I was referring to the Delta recommendation to be at the airport to check in at least 3 hours before an international flight.  I've never been through EZE, so I don't have specific information to share.  I'm on a Celebrity cruise and am flying back to US on December 23.

25 minutes ago, Free2bMeForever said:

Sorry for any confusion.  I was referring to the Delta recommendation to be at the airport to check in at least 3 hours before an international flight.  I've never been through EZE, so I don't have specific information to share.  I'm on a Celebrity cruise and am flying back to US on December 23.

No problem.  That matches up with what I've been told to do in EZE.

• 2 months later...

We did a day tour with Marcelo Mansilla on a November stop. We booked with him because of his consistently excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and were rewarded with a great tour. We walked in town in the morning, lots to see, with an informed and responsive dialogue. He had full answers to any questions about what location and culture. The lunch venue was a bonus, in a restaurant whose decor was themed to historic racing drivers and cars. In tha afternoon Marcelo took us with a van and driver to more outlying neighbourhoods like La Boca. The van and driver was a useful arrangement becuase we could be dropped in one place and picked up in another. We were back at the port with no worries about pushing our boarding time. 

Marcelo speaks excellent English and, just as important, we felt safe with him at all times. His itinerary is flexible if you have specific sights in mind, and I have no hesitation in recommending him here. 

IMG_0899.jpeg

Edited by porsena
spelling