Prague accessibility

raindropsalways

Prague – First of all, I'm fully aware that Prague is not a sea port and we do not have any intentions on attempting a river cruise. However, Prague is a beautiful city to visit when one is traveling by train from a Med cruise to the Baltic.

Our concern is the “accessibility” using public transportation. On our last trip, at a wheelchair accessible metro station, the gap was not “mobility scooter accessible” in that it was probably close to 8” (20.3 cm). I understand that the the trams are wheelchair accessible however, I have serious concerns about our mobility scooters. Could someone please advise if the trams are doable for mobility scooters?

Thanks,

Betty

Thank you. I did consider Tripadvisor, but have not ever had any luck with them. I just sent a request directly to the company. Worse case scenario, we find something that will transport us to the castle area and then we can scoot back down. Climbing that hill would take a lot of battery power.

Betty

As far as I remember the centre of Prague is quite accessible. Yes, you can take a taxi to the top by the church and scoot back, although there are cobble stones. Take a look on Google maps street view and that will give you an idea.

I visited Prague some years ago before I really had mobility problems. I don't think it was too difficult to get about.

Have a look at SageTraveling there is sometimes good advice on there.

Thank you for Sage Traveling lead. Over the years I have had very good luck writing to cities, port authorities and transit companies directly.

Google street views have been very helpful. I've also been using them. Here is a map that might be of interest to you: http://gizmodo.com/this-massive-open-source-map-makes-the-world-more-whee-1710196200 I have used it a few times.

I have been to Prague a couple times. Many years ago, while I could still get around on my own, my granddaughter and I spent a few days there. My traveling companion and I stopped there on a trip, however my converter died. Was not able to find a new one in Prague and could not risk running batteries down. We continued on to Dresden where I was able to purchase a new converter.

We know about cobble stones. I may regret having lost some excess weight.

I have had great luck with Sage travel's web site. It has a wealth of information there for Europe. We also used their tour service in Estonia and could not have been happier. The price actually came out to less than other tour companies because we were charged by the vehicle, not per person.

I know that you prefer to explore on your own but I say this in case others are looking for advice.