Amazon Cruise Ports

Two from Virginia

We will be taking a cruise called the Amazon Explorer and will visit ports in Brazil (Macapa, Santarem, Boca da Valeria, Manaus, Parintins, Alter do Chao, Belem) Has anyone visited these ports and can offer information on tour guides, must see, transportation from port to activity, etc.? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:)

Boca da Valeria: no tour needed or ought to be offered there. It is a replica of a village representative of that area and is a tourist site, but it is worth time for a visit. Lots of photo opportunities with "residents" who display various zoological specimens: "One dollar, please" will be heard for those wanting to take pictures. Worth the visit? YES!

Manaus requires a guided tour with a visit to the Opera House a must. My tour was a Princess Tour and worth the money.

If a tour while docked in Manaus is offered to go searching for crocodiles at night: don't miss it! One of the most memorable shore excursions that I have ever experienced.

At Santarem, I had booked a piranha fishing tour. I think this could have been a good tour. Had to be cancelled due to our late arrival in that port. We were very seriously delayed at Macapa due to Immigration clearance. In fact, the Captain threatened to sail away from Macapa if the authorities did not become more cooperative. Upon that message, Royal Princess (this was the original Royal Princess suddenly got clearance to proceed.

I have no information about your other ports. One thing that vividly is recalled are the lovely sunsets and cloud formations over the jungle as we sailed the Amazon. And, do not fail to look for the "meeting of the waters" as you sail towards Manaus.

• 3 months later...

Belem has a very large market on the waterfront. I didn’t get to see it, as we chose an Amazon River and jungle excursion through the ship. Since you’ll be visiting deep into the Amazon, you’ll probably want to pass on that type of excursion in Belem.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be visiting these ports, except Macapa in 2019 so I am interested to see what people tell you.

YES! Can share much more. Happy to answer any questions on my live/blog and provide added info/background. As an example, here is these ideas for Manaus:

From the CNN news network last fall, they had this headline: “Best things to do in Manaus with these highlights: A city of 1.8 million people surrounded by 2 million square miles of Amazon jungle more than 1,500 miles from Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, it doesn't get as many tourists as those two cities. Manaus is a gold mine of brightly colored architecture, riverfront views and world-class eating, minus the huge crowds. At the turn of the 20th century, Manaus was the center of a lucrative global trade in rubber. Today, it's the gateway for thousands of tourists seeking Amazon jungle adventures at the many lodges outside the city.

For a key attraction we loved in Manaus, this article shared: "Manaus' Amazonas Theater (aka Teatro Amazonas or simply The Opera House) is an opulent ode to the rubber boom of the 1800s when rubber barons and the local government had more money than they knew what to do with. Some of that windfall was used for the construction of the theater. It took 15 years to complete and includes tiles, stained glass and other elements brought from Europe."

Many more details and pictures of Manaus are on my live/blog that is connected below. Will try to share a few visual samples on this thread that can be helpful for those planning future travel in this amazing part of the world.

Full story at:

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/manaus-brazil-things-to-do/index.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 57,679 views for these postings.

Here are a few of my visual samples from in and around Manaus. Such an amazing and interesting city. Many more pictures starting on page six of my live/blog.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 208,691 views for this posting

Here was our first sight of the Manaus area as our ship approached. This is the industrial area east of this large city of nearly two million people. In the background, you can see the 12,500' bridge that was opened in October 2011 to cross the Rio Negro. This dramatic bridge connects to towns south of Manaus, but not to another locations or cities in the main, more populated areas of Brazil.

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

FebAmazPixBB31_zpsnm4imgoc.jpg

Here is a sampling of visuals from the exterior of their Opera House and its nearby buildings/neighbors, the park in front of this structure, a nearby church, etc. Finally is a view from the second floor of the Opera House show the nearby areas, plus, as a bonus, a colorful rainbow!!:

FebAmazPixBB40_zpsz1k2cvz3.jpg

FebAmazPixBB42_zpsoyddmsqm.jpg

FebAmazPixBB44_zpss6w1q8d8.jpg

FebAmazPixBB41_zpssm2khgzz.jpg

FebAmazPixBB51_zpscdxkzyk5.jpg

Here is more "eye candy" from Manaus. Hopefully this will help building excitement if you are planning to visit there for the first time or to bring back nice memories if you have been there previously.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 228,524 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are only two of my visual samples for the interior of their famed Opera House in Manaus. The second view is from one of the two grand boxes that were immediately overlooking the stage for the rich rubber barons who lived here during the peak years of their economy.:

FebAmazPixBB45_zpsab2cx6pj.jpg

FebAmazPixBB48_zpsybnzbibd.jpg

Here is just one sample from our little "walk" in the rainforest 60 miles north of Manaus. Fortunately, no rain for us. But, we would have other challenges. When you walk into the "jungle", you get out of the sun and can really feel things not being as hot. BUT, it was still very humid. Christine, our guide from Amazon Ecco Adventure Tours, did an excellent job and was super hard-working as we "progressed" along these complicated trails that gave us a taste from being an explorer like Indiana Jones.:

FebAmazRainForA23_zps4zyvac24.jpg

Before going ashore in Manaus on our last day there, this is one of the views while having breakfast. We could see many of the nearby smaller "commuter" ships being loaded with goods and people. We were docked right in the "heart" for all of the port "action"!!:

ManausRealLifeA24_zpsnb6s4ujy.jpg

Visiting the markets of Manaus, including those that are more for wholesale fish, produce, etc., was both fund and interesting. Plus, free to do on our own.First shown is a typical local food, take-away style place. The next picture shows some from the fish market that was stimulating to experience, sample the human interactions, etc.:

ManausRealLifeA21_zpsce8iibla.jpg

ManausRealLifeA19_zpscxmhgkyt.jpg

Hello, I have read your posts and thank you for sharing. We will be cruising the Amazon in November 2018. There are several ports I am trying to find out if one is able to "Do it yourself". If so, what is the distance from the port to the "highlights"? These include: Devils Island, French Guiana, Macapa, Brazil, Boca da Valeria, Parintins, Scarborough, Tobago, and Santo Domingo? Any insight to these ports would be appreciated.

Hello, I have read your posts and thank you for sharing. We will be cruising the Amazon in November 2018. There are several ports I am trying to find out if one is able to "Do it yourself". If so, what is the distance from the port to the "highlights"? These include: Devils Island, French Guiana, Macapa, Brazil, Boca da Valeria, Parintins, Scarborough, Tobago, and Santo Domingo? Any insight to these ports would be appreciated.

Boca da Valeria is definitely a DIY. (Bring dollar bills as the locals will be posing with various creatures and expect a tip. Small items, such as candy and supplies for their school are also appreciated.) I cannot give you any advice about the other ports, some of which I have not visited.

When we did an Amazon cruise on Princess in 2010 Devils Island was a DIY stop. The area is very small and Princess had a 'destination expert' explain what we were going to see before disembarkation. They also played the movie Papillion prior to the port.

Boca da Valeria is definitely a DIY. (Bring dollar bills as the locals will be posing with various creatures and expect a tip. Small items, such as candy and supplies for their school are also appreciated.) I cannot give you any advice about the other ports, some of which I have not visited.

Thanks

Appreciate these questions, comments and follow-ups. YES, Devils Island is fairly easy to do yourself with simple "walking around". But, it can be fairly hot. Keep researching and planning. We very much enjoyed both Boca da Valeria and Parintins.

For Boca da Valeria, I knew from reading these Cruise Critic boards to bring pens and pencils and others items to share with these children in this village. I also had a good friend with Bath and Body in Columbus who got me some small samples of their products to take and deliver here. When arriving in Boca da Valeria, I first visited the school to deliver these to the school teacher. From a TV station in Columbus, Ohio, they gave me some small balls, plus four larger, blow-up plastic balls.

For Parintins on Tupinambarana Island, we had great fun and excitement. Parintins is situated in the largest river archipelago of the mid-Amazon. This area is rich in centuries-old Indian culture and celebrates an annual “Boi Bumba” festival. The yearly folkloric festival, considered second only to Carnival in Rio, is held in June. For cruise ship visitors, the townspeople re-enact this festival for visitors throughout the year. Not cheap, but nice memories. Many visuals on my live/blog. Post any added questions on that location.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 209,096 views for this posting.

Appreciate these questions, comments and follow-ups. YES, Devils Island is fairly easy to do yourself with simple "walking around". But, it can be fairly hot. Keep researching and planning. We very much enjoyed both Boca da Valeria and Parintins.

For Boca da Valeria, I knew from reading these Cruise Critic boards to bring pens and pencils and others items to share with these children in this village. I also had a good friend with Bath and Body in Columbus who got me some small samples of their products to take and deliver here. When arriving in Boca da Valeria, I first visited the school to deliver these to the school teacher. From a TV station in Columbus, Ohio, they gave me some small balls, plus four larger, blow-up plastic balls.

For Parintins on Tupinambarana Island, we had great fun and excitement. Parintins is situated in the largest river archipelago of the mid-Amazon. This area is rich in centuries-old Indian culture and celebrates an annual “Boi Bumba” festival. The yearly folkloric festival, considered second only to Carnival in Rio, is held in June. For cruise ship visitors, the townspeople re-enact this festival for visitors throughout the year. Not cheap, but nice memories. Many visuals on my live/blog. Post any added questions on that location.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 209,096 views for this posting.

Thanks. What is the link to your live blog please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks. What is the link to your live blog please?

Appreciate your follow-up. Below is that link to my live/blog.

For deec and your interest for Santarem, we had great experiences where the dark gray River Tapajos joins the brown Amazon Amazon. It is called the "Meeting of the Waters" and it is amazing to see how long these two types of waters stay distinct. Plus, exploring the local market, seeing the pink dolphins, etc.

BUT, our super great highlight was scheduling in advance and meeting up with Amazon guide Gil Serique. He is a real local who knows the region and has a super love for life, sharing, etc. We wanted to see more of the countryside and a national forest area south of the town, but given the distances and shortened time period here, we focused on the natural and very back-water regions of the Amazon River.

Starting at page four, post #74 on my live/blog, you can many more pictures and added details. Below are a few visual samples to help in building the excitement for this future exploring.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 58,870 views for these postings.

As we approached the local fish market, here are some of the two-level boats commonly used on the Amazon River for transpiration, tourism tours, etc.:

FebAmazPixA6%201_zpsxw7hotpc.jpg

From the fish market area, we got great view of the “action show” featuring the pink dolphins that are famous in this region. Very cute and active!!:

FebAmazPixA2%201_zpsven0y9zw.jpg

Now it is time to go to our boat and head into the back-water Amazon regions in search of nature, wildlife, unique scenery, etc. Our boat was fairly small, but with a powerful engine and covered to shade us from the harsh sun. Gil was on the look-out for birds, unique views and nature action. Our driver got us through very shallow and challenging areas. We also saw a number of housing structures, etc. Like the iguana shown on the tree branch below? My Nikon D7100 did well, helped by using a 55-300mm Nikkor lens.:

FebAmazPixA14%201_zpswzwufcpx.jpg

FebAmazPixA10%201_zps9cq6afsm.jpg

FebAmazPixA9%201_zpsvpaotab5.jpg

FebAmazPixA13%201_zpsegmavodq.jpg

Thanks for all the info. Has anyone been to Macapa? Do you have the name of a taxi company that is reliable and reasonable to share? We are there for a short time and would like to see Marco Zero.

Appreciate this question and your follow-up. When we did the Amazon River "adventure", our ship did stop in Macapa, but it was only a "customs-processing" port call.

Passengers did not get off the ship, do any tours and/or visiting here, etc. Sorry! Do not have any experiences and/or tips to share from this location. From what I have read from others who have done this "Zero" location, I am not sure whether it is worth the time, cost, etc., or not. Personal choice!! There might be cabs available at the port. Or, you could check through TripAdvisor for a lead on any good local tour folks. In my mind, the fact that many cruise ships do not stop or spend much time at this port says something about its potential value, etc. Maybe? Maybe not? Good luck!!

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 211,669 views for this posting.