Any symbol/ID cane users?

Hello,

I’m visually impaired, lots of useful vision but peripheral is reduced, especially on my left side.

I’ve cruised once with P&O but that was without my symbol cane. For those who may not know, this is a short cane that doesn’t reach the ground, and isn’t used for mobility or way-finding, but to let people know you have reduced vision.

I’m now using it in crowded places as I tend to bump into people, particularly if they cut across me or stop suddenly.

Cruising on NCL in August and wondering if anyone has any advice, especially regarding going through airports with a cane, as I’ve not done that yet.

Also, I’d be interested to know if people understand what a symbol cane is, and if anyone has had any issues, either on ship, in ports or on excursions.

NCL are aware of my vision issues and know that I’m bringing a symbol cane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello,

I’m visually impaired, lots of useful vision but peripheral is reduced, especially on my left side.

I’ve cruised once with P&O but that was without my symbol cane. For those who may not know, this is a short cane that doesn’t reach the ground, and isn’t used for mobility or way-finding, but to let people know you have reduced vision.

I’m now using it in crowded places as I tend to bump into people, particularly if they cut across me or stop suddenly.

Cruising on NCL in August and wondering if anyone has any advice, especially regarding going through airports with a cane, as I’ve not done that yet.

Also, I’d be interested to know if people understand what a symbol cane is, and if anyone has had any issues, either on ship, in ports or on excursions.

I've never heard of a symbol cane.

We'd certainly want to respect it (and the owner, of course), and allow extra room, etc., or offer assistance, depending upon circumstances.

However, until just now, we wouldn't have had a clue about "whatever it was that was being carried"... so we wouldn't have been helpful in any way, except for what we would do for anyone who appeared to need help in some way.

GC

Hello,

I wanted to add... you should probably post this in the REGULAR "Disabled Cruise Travel".

This isn't a question that is specific to Europe.

And you will get a lot more people reading it in the more general section.

Maybe others know more about this.

As I already mentioned, we'd probably not even notice or just wonder what was being "held" if we noticed it at all.

(BTW, we know several people with *very* impaired sight or hearing, and thinking back, none of them has ever mentioned any such "aid", nor have we seen them use anything. I only mention that by way of wondering how widespread a device like this is, in terms of expecting others to notice and more importantly, know what it is and what it means.)

Also, if your other question (navigating airports) is about using a *regular* cane, you should probably post that separately so those familiar with regular cane use will notice and respond with suggestions.

A dear friend some years ago used to be an instructor for using those canes, including for crossing streets (with curbs) and all of that. Could you find some professional instruction before your cruise?

GC

I haven't heard of a symbol cane either. As far as getting through airports, it's probably best to arrange Special Assistance. This is done via your airline, but supplied by the airport authority.

Sent from my iPad using Forums