HOHO bus with collapsible wheelchair in Mallorca, Mareseilles?

CronFest

Anyone have experience with HOHO buses using a collapsible wheelchair? Also in these ports can you get on a sidewalk easily? Hoping to just do our own thing at some ports. This would be cheapest. Thoughts? UGH sorry about the typo

I checked the itinerary you apparently have booked. There are a lot of ports and most have their unique aspects. If you are interested in the hoho buses, look up the hoho buses for that specific port. Some do have stops at the cruise ship docks. Most hoho buses do have a lift, but am not sure all do.

Barcelona do not worry about. You can get anywhere and everywhere in Barcelona on the public buses. The metro is also good, however if you are physically using the wheelchair, some of the stations are not accessible. Look up the Barcelona buses and metro on the internet. It is very well detailed. Not being familiar with the area, I just used Google maps to plan out everything. Suggest you spend a few days there. There is a couple hoho bus routes in Barcelona, but we never used them.

Marseille – With a folding wheelchair you should be able to make a deal with a taxi driver to take you into town and later pick you up and take you back to the ship. With this type of deal you do not pay the taxi until he gets you back to the port. It has been a number of years since I've been there and at that time there was not any public buses or hoho buses coming to the port. Taxi or a ship's tour bus was the only options. I'd suggest you check to see if the ship or port has arranged a shuttle bus service or if there is a hoho bus in town that stops at the port. Many of the European ports have a shuttle service for visiting ships and the cost is very reasonable.

La Spezia – have not been there.

Rome – You have some options here. You can just wander around Civitavecchia or get a train to and from Rome. Civitavecchia is an interesting little town, but it definitely does not have what Rome has to offer. The train station in Civitavecchia was within walking distance of the shuttle buses to and from the ship, however someone suggested that the shuttle bus stop has been moved. Link for train schedules: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en There is a hoho bus stop near the main train station in Rome. Having limited time, that might be the most practical. If you desire to use the wheelchair on the train, look under their “Information and Contacts”. There was two of us on mobility scooters and they were great to assist.

Sorrento – Never docked in Sorrento. Years ago we considered a tour stopping there, but at that time they did not offer much of anything for those of us on mobility scooters.

Valencia – I was there before I became disabled. Remember wandering all over town on foot, but do not remember what the streets or sidewalks were like.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Have you emailed RCI, shorexaccess@rccl.com, about their wheelchair accessible tours? We us the info Royal send us to plan our excursions. We once found out, from RCI, that Vigo had an accessible HOHO bus. With ports that have HOHO buses, we have found that, only 1 bus may be wheelchair friendly, for those that are confined to their wheelchair, the rest are not.

I have tried contacting Royal Caribbean and both times I was shunted off to the handicapped services and never got an answer to the call! It is very frustrating. We will have a concierge but we don't really want to wait that long to get a game plan. I guess I should just keep calling at all different times of the day and see if I get farther. Thanks for the input!

I have tried contacting Royal Caribbean and both times I was shunted off to the handicapped services and never got an answer to the call! It is very frustrating. We will have a concierge but we don't really want to wait that long to get a game plan. I guess I should just keep calling at all different times of the day and see if I get farther. Thanks for the input!

Sorry to hear this.

I always email I never ring. If they have not replied after 3 weeks I email again. In the second email I politely point out that this is my second email to them and the next one I send will be an email of complaint. In 12 cruises, with my wheelchair confined son, I have only had to email a second time once.

Sorry to hear this.

I always email I never ring. If they have not replied after 3 weeks I email again. In the second email I politely point out that this is my second email to them and the next one I send will be an email of complaint. In 12 cruises, with my wheelchair confined son, I have only had to email a second time once.

I like your style! I have an email out to them but it has only been 3 days. We'll see. I will be using your follow up suggestion if I don't hear in 2 weeks :-)

So. I got a reply in a timely manner, with a great bunch of excursions to choose from, on the wrong cruise, on the wrong date, on the wrong side of the world. They have not replied to my second email. Oy.

Sorry to hear.

You really are not having any luck with RCI Shore excursions. The only other thing I can suggest is that you post this thread on the normal RCI forum. Someone on there might know about the HOHO bus in Mallorca and Mareseilles

• 2 weeks later...

All the European HOHO buses have a ramp, so are disabled friendly. We had three days in Marseille last year and were going to take the HOHO, but the driver said ramp was not working. TBH I think he was too lazy to put it down. The public transport buses are also accessible.

Much of the centre of Palma is pedestrianised, so better to use public bus or take taxi (cheap) to the centre.

Sent from my iPad using Forums