2017 - 2018 Mariner Tiles series?

Alphen

Did Captain Card do the designs?

No, they have not been for some while, designs are based on his paintings, but he is not involved in the tiles anymore. New designs are by Sander Alblas, who is designer at Royal Goedewagen in Holland where the tiles (which are made in the UK) are printed.

I like that one, thanks for posting! That clock tower kinda resembles the former HAL HQ in Rotterdam (now Hotel New York) minus the "Halve Maen" on top

maxresdefault.jpg

Well, if you look at this picture, it actually is, including "De Halve Maen".

IMG_0060_zps47r8mlxi.jpg

My favorite photo shot of the Rotterdam port are the names on the godowns - far away places with those formerly strange sounding names. Java -Sumatra - Borneo - Celebes. Hope they show up on a future tile too.

Pardon my ignorance ... even though I am 4-star (soon to be 5!) ... I'm not an expert on HAL trivia ... what is the "Halve Maen" :confused:

"De Halve Maen" is the ship that was in the previous logo of Holland America, it is a ship of the famous "Dutch East India Company". Legend has it that "De Halve Maen" set out to discover the so called "Northern Pasage" around 1609, under the guidance of an english captain; Henry Hudson. Eventually the ship ended up a river on the east coast of America, the river was later named after him, the Hudson river.

In later history, two replica's have been made, one in the early 1900's, with hometown in Manhatten, later burned in the late thirties and another replica was made also in the US. More recently the ship was moved to the Dutch city of Hoorn, where it will be on loan for a couple of years.

It has been part of the HAL logo for many years.

Pardon my ignorance ... even though I am 4-star (soon to be 5!) ... I'm not an expert on HAL trivia ... what is the "Halve Maen" :confused:
As Alphen said, Henry Hudson's ship. In English, Half Moon, from which we get Half Moon Cay and a Half Moon room on several ships. Edited by catl331

They did a really nice job on the Halve Maen replica. "Halve Maen" is old Dutch for Half Moon

halve-mean-2.jpg

Fabulous photos, John. Thanks for postting them. I am still so sad about the change in HAL Logo........... I cannot fafthom whyfthey fhink it is better now. Of c ourse, IT IS NOT So sorry they tgook away Halve Maen. . Waste of money having to change all items which have the 'old' logo .

I understand that HAL is starting with the issue of the new series of Mariner Tiles? I noticed a picture of the new series on Facebook somewhere.....

You probably found the picture on the Dutch site (via Facebook) "Vrienden die Holland America Line leuk vinden" (Friends who like HAL). In a few days the new series (at this moment 6 pieces) will be published on the bilingual website of Ton Rijppaert from the Netherlands (tonrijppaert.nl). He has the world's largest HAL tile collection of about 350 pieces.

I like that one, thanks for posting! That clock tower kinda resembles the former HAL HQ in Rotterdam (now Hotel New York) minus the "Halve Maen" on top

maxresdefault.jpg

Does HAL have a special tile for Alaska cruises this year to celebrate their 70 years of sailing there?

Does HAL have a special tile for Alaska cruises this year to celebrate their 70 years of sailing there?

Haven't heard about a Delft's Blue tile yet, but they came out with a pin for crew to wear on their uniforms. Want one?

AK_70_logo.png