QuietVox and Hearing Aids

MikeandBobNC

This will be our first Viking cruises - river and ocean. Can anyone tell me about the compatibility of the QuietVox for people that wear hearing aids?

I normally wear an "in ear" model of hearing aid, but I also have "behind the ear" model. On planes, the Bose headsets with cushioned ear-pieces work well. But from the picture I have been able to find of the QuietVox, it doesn't appear they will work as well.

Is it possible to bring my own headset? If so, how do I determine the correct connection type?

Also, are the QuietVox blue-tooth capable? Both sets of my hearing aids have blue-tooth.

Looking forward to the cruises, but I know the excursions will be more enjoyable if I can make sure the QuietVox works well with my hearing aids.

Thanks!

My mom wears the in-ear type hearing aids, and we were on the Sky in January. I can’t really explain without pictures exactly how the QuietVox fits around your ear, but it worked without any problem with her hearing aids. She was able to leave her hearing aids in and use the Q.V. on several tours with no trouble at all, and could hear the guides perfectly. I don’t think you need to worry about any special arrangements at all.

just off the sky

the set has an over the ear type of headset (one ear only) ... but the plug is also a standard size you you can bring your own over the ear headphone too.

I'd also mention that on our 'midnight sun' trip where we did the included tour in every port the QV was used ONCE ..... we took one option tour where they said bring the QV and it was used for about 5 minutes of the entire excursion ..... VERY DIFFERENT from our experience on river cruise excursions (Viking)

QV was not bluetooth .... headphones use a cord.

btw ... for movies under the stars a similar device is used - they do not blast the movie sound but provide individual headsets. Here the headphones are large over the ear cup type .... they said they were Bose but I never saw an actual label .... similar to good quality noise cancelling headsets. Mrs really enjoyed these movies ... reminded her of going to the drive in (except no necking .....)

QuietVox are not Bluetooth compatible. It has a wired, standard plug, mono, earbud. There is only one earpiece for safety reasons. They want the other ear uncovered so you can hear street noise, car horns, bicycle bells, etc. If you can put a standard earbud in one ear and hear OK, you'll be fine.

This will be our first Viking cruises - river and ocean. Can anyone tell me about the compatibility of the QuietVox for people that wear hearing aids?

I normally wear an "in ear" model of hearing aid, but I also have "behind the ear" model. On planes, the Bose headsets with cushioned ear-pieces work well. But from the picture I have been able to find of the QuietVox, it doesn't appear they will work as well.

Is it possible to bring my own headset? If so, how do I determine the correct connection type?

Also, are the QuietVox blue-tooth capable? Both sets of my hearing aids have blue-tooth.

Looking forward to the cruises, but I know the excursions will be more enjoyable if I can make sure the QuietVox works well with my hearing aids.

Thanks!

My husband brings his own over-ear headphones. I find them more comfortable so I use them too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm actually with my Dad on a trip right now to visit his audiologist...he also has both "in ear" and "behind ear" models, so I asked him his thoughts based on our December/January Viking Star experience. He suggested that you should definitely walk with your own headphones as he felt the comfort and the quality of sound through the headset Viking provided with the QuietVox device negatively impacted his tour experience. I would add that the headsets are not particularly comfortable...On my next Viking cruise I plan to walk with my own headphones and I don't have any hearing issues thus far...my sister and my son both opted to use their own headphones for the duration of the cruise as they found this a more comfortable option (my husband and I only had Bluetooth headphones with us, which didn't work..sighhhhh).

There is no stadard on Viking. I called Viking before each cruise and asked that they provide the loop compatable with most hearing aides. They assured me that there were loops on every ship. Not true! On one cruise, they had the loop which worked with the aide. Next cruise, had a different system and no loop. Luckily had my own Bose headphones and used them. There were a large number of people wearing aides that did not have headphones. They could not hear the guides. Be proactive and bring ypur own pair of headphones.

On our last Viking Cruise one person had what appeared to be a wireless transmitter that seemed to be hearing aid compatible. The guide wore it around his neck. Don't know much more about it except on the one tour when VOX wasn't used he was better off than the rest of us.

Edited by azdrydock
english