Safes

Hello

We will soon be on the Dream and I was wondering if the safes are free or do Thomson charge for them. If so how much ?

Are we better spending Sterling or Euros on the flight and the boat.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

Or, if you wish, instead of giving your card details, you can deposit cash at reception. My husband prefers this and usually hands over more than is required, always in sterling. Any that is not spent on board, we get back at the end of the cruise.

Purchases on the aircraft are in sterling but they will take euros, however at a very poor exchange rate.

You don't have to purchase the safe if you are happy not to.

I'm pleased to say the safes on the Discovery ships are free.

Or, if you wish, instead of giving your card details, you can deposit cash at reception. My husband prefers this and usually hands over more than is required, always in sterling. Any that is not spent on board, we get back at the end of the cruise.
It has been £200 for a week on our Thomson cruises - maybe that has changed more recently ?

You can check your onboard account daily at guest services, and they will flag up when your credit is getting low so you can top up.

I've use my debit card to settle any difference when the final statement is published.

Avoid using Euros on Thomsons flights - as mentioned above, their exchange rate is very unfavourable to the customer.

Thomsons (in conjunction with New Day) relatively recently launched their own credit card - no fees on deposits and balances if you book a Thomson or First Choice holiday or cruise.

Nice one - except they still apply percentage fee on settling cruise accounts and purchases on their flights !!!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
How cane one cruise line justify charging for a safe on one of their ships and not others?

Actually it is 2 ships, Celebration and Dream. You pay for the safes on other cruise lines as well but it is 'free', in other words part of the fare. Charging foe a safe is a very easy way to make lots of money. I suppose Marella could make the safe 'free' on the 2 ships and just increase the base fare by £15