Probably a gormless question but....

Been a while since we sailed Thomson/TUI/Marella but seems the idea of a formal night has gone? I’m thinking that, given that mrs S2B takes enough clothes and shoes to dress a small country, I might save space by doing away with a DJ and taking a smart shirt and tie. Will I be ok on the ‘smart’ night? Just worried about the miserly 20kg weight limit. Naturally, mrs S2B will upgrade to 25kg. I don’t want to be the only bloke looking less than formal. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The formal nights are now 'dress to impress' nights and evening casual is the minimum dress standard. Your shirt and tie will be OK or you could dispense with the tie!. You will not look out of place in a suit or DJ either. You will see all the forms of dress on the night.

no fashion police on Marella

My case for a 14 nighter including a DJ is about 16KG

Thanks for that. Yes reckon I’d get away with 16kg, however Mrs S2B would soon alter all that. Thanks for the advice though, shirt and tie it is. That means 14 extra pairs of shoes, before sun, during sun, after sun, moisturiser and various other chemical concoctions. Looking forward to August, apart from Corfu Airport!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up this thread again but it seemed pointless to start another. As stated earlier, I have paid for an extra 5kg for Mrs S2B and I have just the 20 kg. I read on our paperwork that the maximum weight for a case is 23kg. So we have a dilemma; carry 3 cases, 20, 20 and 5 kg respectively or would I get away with 22kg in mine and 23kg in hers? Seems easy, but probably won’t be! Thanks

Sorry to dig up this thread again but it seemed pointless to start another. As stated earlier, I have paid for an extra 5kg for Mrs S2B and I have just the 20 kg. I read on our paperwork that the maximum weight for a case is 23kg. So we have a dilemma; carry 3 cases, 20, 20 and 5 kg respectively or would I get away with 22kg in mine and 23kg in hers? Seems easy, but probably won’t be! Thanks

Hi,is that 23kg the quayside limit,if so, I don't think 2kg would be a problem.

Shot to bits - I always pay for the extra 5kgs and my case weighs 23kgs and hubbies is 22kgs - simples Never had a problem as long as total 2 cases don't weigh more than 45kgs (although in practice it could be 46kgs if you paid for another 5kgs) but what do you do with the other 4kgs you wouldn't want 3 cases in the hold would you? Why they can't sell in 6kgs lots is beyond me but that's TUI for you

If Jet2 can give you an allowance of 22kgs why can't TUI? Thomson used to (and 10kgs hand luggage for cruisers)

It just says the maximum weight for a single case is 23kg. I expect it’s for the baggage handlers?

All the cruiselines quote that figure for health and safety.They don't make men like they used to,I used to carry 50kg cement on my shoulder.You will have no worries as long as you don't bring one of those big trunks like on the Titanic.

All the cruiselines quote that figure for health and safety.They don't make men like they used to,I used to carry 50kg cement on my shoulder.You will have no worries as long as you don't bring one of those big trunks like on the Titanic.

We must all be wimp's now ,out in the philippines i watched a guy unloading a wagon ,he was carrying two bags of cement at a time on his head ,taking them about 50 yards ,when i checked the weight they were 40kg EACH ,only a small guy as well

Everyone is at cross purposes here.The 23kg is the official quayside limit,not the airline.What happens if you fly business where you are allowed 2x30kg.Are you not allowed to board,of course you are.

Brian1 - sorry but you're wrong it's the airport baggage handlers who will not load a case more than 23kgs it's a health and safety rule (EU I believe) and seeing that 99% of Marella cruisers fly TUI airlines that's the max per case Usually at the airport my case which weighs 23kgs has a label stuck to it saying 'heavy' as a warning to the handlers

Brian1 - sorry but you're wrong it's the airport baggage handlers who will not load a case more than 23kgs it's a health and safety rule (EU I believe) and seeing that 99% of Marella cruisers fly TUI airlines that's the max per case Usually at the airport my case which weighs 23kgs has a label stuck to it saying 'heavy' as a warning to the handlers

With Emirates/Qatar, we get a 30kg limit but the weight limit is 32Kg per item due to the airport handlers

We had a 30kg allowance on one of our longer trips trips when we upgrades from economy, we rang Emirates and asked what was the best way to get round the 23kg issue they said easy 3 cases with 20kg in each keeps the baggage handles happy and sticks to regulations.

Not sure if you can do this with TUI I can usually get by with 23kg but I agree on a cruise where dinner dress is required it's harder to get by with 23kg and I usually end up having to leave something behind that I wanted to take.

If 25kg is the max I would be inclined to split it between 3 cases the same as above of course checking with the airline that it is okay.

Next year cruise on Marella Discovery 2, we have both upgraded to 25kg each and planning on taking our new suitcases as carryon under the 7kg.

The plan is to have essentials in the carryon suitcase and then when leaving the ship, carry these off with the nightwear from the last night on board and the essentials (bathroom stuff, electricals etc).

Normally we have a carrier bag and then fit it into the cases when we find them on the port side before going to the airport. Not this year or again for that matter, as when we bought our new car (mini clubman) they gave us 2 new small suitcases for free. They are the perfect size for carry on luggage and seeing as this year we are doing 16 nights, 4 cases will come in handy.

Next year cruise on Marella Discovery 2, we have both upgraded to 25kg each and planning on taking our new suitcases as carryon under the 7kg.

The plan is to have essentials in the carryon suitcase and then when leaving the ship, carry these off with the nightwear from the last night on board and the essentials (bathroom stuff, electricals etc).

Normally we have a carrier bag and then fit it into the cases when we find them on the port side before going to the airport. Not this year or again for that matter, as when we bought our new car (mini clubman) they gave us 2 new small suitcases for free. They are the perfect size for carry on luggage and seeing as this year we are doing 16 nights, 4 cases will come in handy.

You will have five cases then , your combined 50kg will have to be split across three cases.

You will have five cases then , your combined 50kg will have to be split across three cases.

Nope, just 4. I will pack a case full and see what happens at the airport.

With it being a maximum 23kg per case, why let people buy 25kg allowance, just make the allowance 23kg.

The rules might change by next year when we have left the EU and back to to the good old days of 30kg allowance per case.