Docking and shuttle buses in the Canaries

Going on Ventura next April, visiting Madeira, La Palma, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and La Coruna. Are there shuttle buses in all these ports to the centres if we want to do our own thing and do they take folding wheelchairs? I can walk up a few steps to the bus.

At any of these ports can we walk instead of taking the bus?

• 3 months later...
Going on Ventura next April, visiting Madeira, La Palma, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and La Coruna. Are there shuttle buses in all these ports to the centres if we want to do our own thing and do they take folding wheelchairs? I can walk up a few steps to the bus.

At any of these ports can we walk instead of taking the bus?

Recently back from the Canaries and Gran Canaria and La Coruna do not have shuttles but are an easy walk into the centres, Tenerfife and Lanzarote are berth dependent, the others do have shuttles, and if you can walk onto the bus you will not be limited to the accessible buses.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just booked to go to the Canaries at the end of January (took advantage of the misfortune of the people who had their 50 days on Oriana cancelled). Last time we went I used a manual wheelchair and hubby pushed. This time I will be taking a powerchair so it will be interesting to see the difference.

• 2 months later...
We have just booked to go to the Canaries at the end of January (took advantage of the misfortune of the people who had their 50 days on Oriana cancelled). Last time we went I used a manual wheelchair and hubby pushed. This time I will be taking a powerchair so it will be interesting to see the difference.

hi how did you find the wheelchair access in canaries as going in october and wheelchair reliant. could you advise further thanks.

hi how did you find the wheelchair access in canaries as going in october and wheelchair reliant. could you advise further thanks.

I ended up just using the manual chair with OH pushing. We pottered around in port (visited Madeira, La Palma, Tenerife, Lanzarote and Lisbon) and didn't have any problems with access. I'm afraid I cannot comment about excursions as we didn't take any. There were wheelchair accessible shuttles in just about every port (cannot remember if it was every port).

• 1 year later...

its more the destinations. ports are quite good in general for disabled, but we had our own private tours booked mostly. the only resort that was difficult was lisbon, the streets are cobbled at best, few up and down pavement ramps and narrow streets. most of the rest were good depending on how much you want to do. Madeira is probably best by tour guide as quite hilly but beautiful.

.most of the canaries are upgrading their ports for mega ships but still lots to do. leave plenty of time to get back on board as it does take longer with their traffic to get back and we did cut it fine once. any other questions do let me know.