Drink Package Questions (Several Threads Merged)

photomikey

Hi,

I received the free Classic Bev Pkg in my upcoming cruise, and I'm considering upgrading to the premium. I drink mostly gin & tonic and a variety of beers. How many of those will be included in the classic, and which will require the premium?

Any advice on which to choose?

Thanks!

It will depend on the type of gin you want and whether you are okay with the beers available in the classic.

For example, Tangueray Ten is only in Premium. I think it is Beefeater and regular Tangueray in classic.

For beers, your staple American beers are included such as Coors Light and Bud. Do you like those?

You'll need to answer those questions first and then you'll have your decision.

Hi,

I received the free Classic Bev Pkg in my upcoming cruise, and I'm considering upgrading to the premium. I drink mostly gin & tonic and a variety of beers. How many of those will be included in the classic, and which will require the premium?

Any advice on which to choose?

Thanks!

I upgrade for the beers/craft beers alone. If you can get by on the yellow fizzy stuff they offer on the classic package, you're better than me.;)

We upgrade our last 2 cruise's, and will again this Nov. It makes it totally hassle free for $12 a day each. What is to question? Just the speciality coffees and water made it a no brainer:D but oh the larger selection of wines with dinner, simply amazing! Then the show while watching our martini flight being made! The fog coming off the whatever it was named at the Mocular bar:eek: And for me, trying to sample the 30-35-40 beers at the GastroBar while watching college football and the NFL.

Can ya see why we did it!

ps: Bud an Miller ain't beer!

Edited by wallie5446

Each their own...why not just wait til you are onboard and see what there is to offer..as you can very easily upgrade to the premium pkg at each bar! I'm quite happy with the classic pkg..here in Ecuador I get 600ml of Pilsner for $1...love it.... Feel bad for people that have to spend $5 + on a beer to enjoy it,lol Better in my pocket than someone elses. Enjoy the cruise

Each their own...why not just wait til you are onboard and see what there is to offer..as you can very easily upgrade to the premium pkg at each bar! I'm quite happy with the classic pkg..here in Ecuador I get 600ml of Pilsner for $1...love it.... Feel bad for people that have to spend $5 + on a beer to enjoy it,lol Better in my pocket than someone elses. Enjoy the cruise

From Celebrity:

Hi all,

I wanted to share some news that we just received regarding our beverage packages.

Beginning on April 6, 2015 for all sailings beginning on or after that date, we will be raising most of our beverage package prices onboard. *From April 6, 2016 - April 19, 2015, our current prices will remain pre-cruise, thereby giving a "pre-cruise pricing advantage." *As of April 20, 2015, however, the pre-cruise prices will be raised to match the onboard prices.

The following changes will be:

Soda Package $8.00 --> $9.00

Premium Water Package $14.00 --> $16.00

Classic N/A Beverage Package $16.00 --> $18.00

Premium N/A Beverage Package $20.00 --> $22.00

Classic Beverage Package $49.00 --> $55.00

Premium Beverage Package $59.00 --> $65.00

Please note that the same beverages will still be available under each package, and that no drinks will be removed from any of these packages. The prices also do not include the 18% gratuity. Lastly, the wine package pricing will not be changing.

My Commentary:

The above is information posted by Celebrity on another CC Celebrity thread called "Beverage Package Pricing Increase". If you are thinking of upgrading, please check out this thread because it may be more economical to upgrade now rather than waiting until you are on the ship. Also you may want to do a "search" on Cruise Critic for a list of the beers and liquors offered in the Celebrity Classic package. The liquors offerings are o.k., but the beers are lame - even for a U.S. resident.

Hope this helps.

Just off the Solstice a few weeks ago and whilst not a spirit drinker I did manage to put a few cocktails away. I am however a beer drinker. Solstice doesn't yet have the Gastropub so the beer was limited to a good international variety of commercial beers and a handful (or less) of what I would call 'craft beers' (i.e. the good stuff!).

We had the classic package as part of the 123 Go promo and decided to upgrade pre cruise. If you're going to have a few drinks and maybe try a few different things then I think it's a no brainer. On a couple of occasions a drink was ordered which we didn't like - we just didn't finish it and ordered something else. We probably wouldn't have done that if we had to pay for it whether we liked it or not. It was so nice just handing over the card and knowing that there would be no further charges (there wasn't much that was not included in the premium package).

I don't think I'd ever cruise without a drink package again!

As someone else said, each to their own. And another said, don't overlook the fact that all premiums coffees, premium waters are included to. If you want cocktails at Molecular they are $15 each so if you have 1 of those a day, it's paid for itself.

Here's a link to a thread with the beers I drank on board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2187612

And here's a couple of photo's of the passport bar beer list and prices which might help you decide.

Enjoy

2106035539_2015-03-0912_30_02.jpg.44d3daba4dab29bb36c04bc6c68e0930.jpg

210686739_2015-03-0912_30_09.jpg.060b607eb97cd18ba76dd95f8c1cd49e.jpg

here in Ecuador I get 600ml of Pilsner for $1...love it.... Feel bad for people that have to spend $5 + on a beer to enjoy it,lol

Don't feel bad, you don't know what you are trully missing in a great brew! 17.1% ALC and I gladly pay $9.00 here in Dallas. After they age it in bourbon barrels for 6-9 months and the ALC goes to 18% it will set me back $17.00. I paid $32.00 for a 22oz bommer on Equinox last yr. As you said, to each their own, but a buck a brew aint worth nothing up here.

image.jpg.242c9dd88941997ed63c6e29fb6a8cea.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

Last July we weren't going to upgrade, but changed our minds. Just lovely to order whatever wine we liked regardless of price. Sometimes even the gap wasn't charged. :p. This August - there is no decision to be made. It will happen.

Don't feel bad, you don't know what you are trully missing in a great brew! 17.1% ALC and I gladly pay $9.00 here in Dallas. After they age it in bourbon barrels for 6-9 months and the ALC goes to 18% it will set me back $17.00. I paid $32.00 for a 22oz bommer on Equinox last yr. As you said, to each their own, but a buck a brew aint worth nothing up here.

I'm actually Canadian..normally live in the USA..been around the world, like many of you....Each their own when it comes to taste.... Drank some $$$ beer, ya it was fine, but glad my taste buds like the cheap stuff,lol More so now that the prices are going up. Which I guess if one is going to upgrade to the premium pkg, best do it before the change (apr 20th)

As far as I'm concerned the liquors offered in the Classic package are fine. In a gin and tonic, where Tanqueray used to be top shelf back a few years ago, the tonic is more important that the gin. For a true martini, not a banana chocolate mintini or the likes, Gordons and Beefeater do just fine and always have.

The rums usually wind up in a mojito or other mixed drink and Bacardi 8 is fine with me.

The vodkas list is fine and includes another "used to be top shelf" Absolute as well as Smirnoff, both of which almost always finish in the top 5 or 10 list when blind taste tests are done comparing them to the new trendy growing vodka list.

The beers are a problem as I have been making my own for as long as I can remember and do not enjoy any on either list so when I want a beer with my dinner I just order a Guinness and a New Castle and mix my own Blackcastle at the table and am happy with the extra charge to my account.

Not that fussy :)

bosco

Hi all,

We have booked our first Celebrity cruise for Feb, 2016 with a group of friends. We booked with the classic bev package included. There are a couple of whiskeys we can't seem to find which package they are under.

Canadian Club - classic or premium?

Crown Royale - classic or premium?

Are cosmo's covered under the classic package?

Debating on wether to upgrade to premium now before prices go up or wait to do it on board?

We have not cruised in 12 years but are going to try it because we got a great deal on the southern caribbean itinerary on Summit.

So if anyone wants to give us any tips or suggestions - feel free.

Thanks!!

Hi all,

We have booked our first Celebrity cruise for Feb, 2016 with a group of friends. We booked with the classic bev package included. There are a couple of whiskeys we can't seem to find which package they are under.

Are cosmo's covered under the classic package?

Debating on wether to upgrade to premium now before prices go up or wait to do it on board?

We have not cruised in 12 years but are going to try it because we got a great deal on the southern caribbean itinerary on Summit.

So if anyone wants to give us any tips or suggestions - feel free.

Thanks!!

Any cosmo, mojito, gin and tonic, etc is covered as long as you don't ask for a liquor that is on the premium list.

Hi all,

Thanks!!

Seagrams and Canadian Club haven't been a problem with the Classic package on my cruises. Crown Royale ???

bosco

Where do you find the list of what is available for each package? We just booked a cruise under the last promo which includes the Classic Beverage package. We may need to consider "upgrading".....

Thanks for all of your help!

Thank you for that link. It really spells it out. I hope they don't have too many changes between now and 2016!

Hi All, Just need some advice on the different drinks packages.

In your experience how much alcohol and coffee would you have to drink to make the 2 different packages worthwhile?

We would have to pay full price as we didn't get the offer in our booking.

Any advice will be gratefully received. Just don't know what to do for the best. With the prices being increased I need to book soon if I want to save money.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Catherine

Hi Catherine

As I'm sure every other reply you'll get on here will say, it really depends on how much, and what, you like to drink.

We always purchased the premium package before any packages were included, and would alway upgrade to premium if we'd been given the classic.

Our thinking has always been - we love the coffee in Cafe El Bacio, we would probably have a glass or 2 of wine if we have lunch on board, we drink loads of water, we love the Martini bar and Molecular bar, and when you factor in wine at dinner, it really does work our well for us. I'm sure someone will have up to date prices (as I can't remember exactly) but coffee at around $6, wine by the glass (certainly the ones we like) around $10-12, Martini bar $12 now?, Molecular bar I think is now £14.75.

You may want to wait until you are on board and see how it goes. However, don't forget you will be paying the new prices if thats after April 20th I believe.

Good luck

Lou

Hi Catherine

As I'm sure every other reply you'll get on here will say, it really depends on how much, and what, you like to drink.

We always purchased the premium package before any packages were included, and would alway upgrade to premium if we'd been given the classic.

Our thinking has always been - we love the coffee in Cafe El Bacio, we would probably have a glass or 2 of wine if we have lunch on board, we drink loads of water, we love the Martini bar and Molecular bar, and when you factor in wine at dinner, it really does work our well for us. I'm sure someone will have up to date prices (as I can't remember exactly) but coffee at around $6, wine by the glass (certainly the ones we like) around $10-12, Martini bar $12 now?, Molecular bar I think is now £14.75.

You may want to wait until you are on board and see how it goes. However, don't forget you will be paying the new prices if thats after April 20th I believe.

Good luck

Lou

Thanks Lou, Just been checking out the prices online. It would work out for us about £1100.00 for both of us on the premium package.

I know it might seem a lot to pay before the cruise but I'm thinking about the price increase. Our cruise isn't until June and we have never been with celebrity before.

The prices you have stated would definitely add up by the time you factor in water, smoothies and coffees. Not forgetting cocktails and martini prices.

Catherine

I had no drink package last time. Decided i had enough calories in food so didn't do smoothies. The shipboard coffee was strong and good for me. i had a few cocktails and in no way approached spending as much as a drink package would have run me.

But this time i can tell you I'm looking forward to the package and am definitely upgrading to premium, and not for the alcohol. I want the daily Pelligrino.

So like people say, it is all up to your preference and budget

Thanks Lou, Just been checking out the prices online. It would work out for us about £1100.00 for both of us on the premium package.

I know it might seem a lot to pay before the cruise but I'm thinking about the price increase. Our cruise isn't until June and we have never been with celebrity before.

The prices you have stated would definitely add up by the time you factor in water, smoothies and coffees. Not forgetting cocktails and martini prices.

Catherine

We purchased it yesterday before the price increase, it's actually £1176.58 for our 13 night in November. Do a Google search for Celebrity drinks prices then make a note of every type of drink, water, Coffe, Soda, Spirits, Cocktails,wine and convert into pounds. Then make an honest list of what you woukd drink each and add that up, don't start adding on drinks to justify purchasing the package, it's easy to get into that mindset. Remember you will drink more on an at sea day.For the two of us we came up with a price of £1300. So for us a bit of a no brainer but as I say you do have to be honest with what you would really drink.