Special dinner

blindrid

Happy Birthday!

Did you want to stay in Phillipsburg or are you willing to head to Grand Case.

Lots of really good restaurants in Grand Case. Some with local fare, some with French fare, some on the ocean, some across the road. Look up Pressoir, Auberge Gourmande, le Soleil, or Ocean 82.

If you want top stay near the ship in Phillipsburg, there are plenty of restaurants around. One of the better for dinner is Antoine's, also Escargot. Chesterfields is a fun place for birthdays.

In Simpson Bay, you have the Greenhouse, So French, and greatr Thai place-Avantix (?).

I'm sure those who have stayed on the island for longer periods have their favorites and hopefully will share.

For a fun, celebratory dinner a couple spots pops out - Pineapple Pete's and Topper's in Simpson Bay. We just spent a week on SXM and enjoyed several restaurants around the island. We enjoyed great cuisine at many, but we had our most memorable and fun evening at Pete's - excellent dishes and a fun vibe. After dinner and dessert have a drink at the bar, or hit nearby Topper's, especially if there on a Thursday evening for Karaoke. Topper's is also a great spot to celebrate a birthday in a fun way.

For a great lobster or fish dish Skip Jack's is excellent, more a dining experience on the water. You could go to Pete's or Topper's after if you want a dinner like that as these are all in Simpson Bay.

There are a ton of restaurants in Philipsburg including the Greenhouse and Chesterfield's. But the locals will recommend the spots we enjoyed.

Enjoy your evening!

We have been to St Maarten many times. Temptation is a very nice restaurant near Maho. Family owned and operated and is where we always have our anniversary dinner. You will not be disappointed! Grand Case has several nice restaurants as well.

Nearly (with a few exceptions) all the best restaurants are in the Grand Case area. This is a small town (where we have rented condos) which has more then a dozen decent restaurants...some of which are owned and operated by award winning French Chefs. One such chef/owner (whose Marseille area restaurant had a Michelin Star) explained to us that his restaurant in France would be full nearly every night...and after he paid his staff and the high French taxes he did not make any real money. On St Maarten (the French side) he pays much lower taxes, his expenses are lower, and he still is covered by the French healthcare and social systems.

As to which Grand Case restaurant, it would be hard to find even locals that would agree on which is best. We think there is just a lot of personal preference involved...so prospective diners might want to do some online research and read lots of reviews. Just keep in mind that some of these restaurants are not cheap....although they are certainly reasonable for the quality delivered.

Hank

I would suggest looking at Trip Adviser. Some of the suggestions on here would not be worth a visit on an ordinary 2 week vacation never mind one dinner that's a birthday dinner!

Personally, I would pick the best food for my price range for the meal and go to a bar for the "fun" part of the evening.

Personally, we would just spend the evening in Philipsburg instad of traveling back and forth to Grand Case, no matter how wonder the restaurants, and they can be wonderful.

Where are you staying overnight on Frontstreet?

As mentioned by crewsweeper, Antoine's would be our choice for a bottle of wine or two and a great dinner with a view of the beach and the Cruise Facility. I must disclaim, as Antoine's has changed management since our last (several) visits, but I doubt that they have disturbed the ambience and menu too much.

th_DSCN1016.jpg th_DSCN1027.jpg th_DSCN0778.jpg

(click)

My second choice for in Philipsburg would be Pasanggrahan. It's also on the Boardwalk/Beachfront, and a very calming spot in our opinion.

th_DSCN1582.jpg th_DSCN1587.jpg

You may even be staying there, a lovely place where we've stayed twice.

gary

Personally, we would just spend the evening in Philipsburg instad of traveling back and forth to Grand Case, no matter how wonder the restaurants, and they can be wonderful.

Where are you staying overnight on Frontstreet?

As mentioned by crewsweeper, Antoine's would be our choice for a bottle of wine or two and a great dinner with a view of the beach and the Cruise Facility. I must disclaim, as Antoine's has changed management since our last (several) visits, but I doubt that they have disturbed the ambience and menu too much.

th_DSCN1016.jpg th_DSCN1027.jpg th_DSCN0778.jpg

(click)

My second choice for in Philipsburg would be Pasanggrahan. It's also on the Boardwalk/Beachfront, and a very calming spot in our opinion.

th_DSCN1582.jpg th_DSCN1587.jpg

You may even be staying there, a lovely place where we've stayed twice.

gary

OP is "docked" overnight.:D

God, I love these suggestions as they make me look forward to the 15th :)

OK, maybe not but still looking forward to another adventure in my life....but still another decade down the path.

Thank you all, Randy

Another good thing is I have a week in SXM in the spring in a condo. Another first!

Edited by blindrid

If you decide to stay right in Philipsburg, or go to Temptations or another more upscale restaurant, be sure to enjoy Pete's or Toppers in Simpson Bay when you return! Just fun places where everyone has fun, especially Toppers after dinner!

Edited by blue_water

Another good thing is I have a week in SXM in the spring in a condo. Another first!

Now you are speaking my language!

You visiting for a week soon, changes everything to me!

An overnight cruise stop in St. Maarten would probably be the only time that I would ever have dinner in Philipsburg! I would probably pick our go to place, Chesterfield's near the port where locals, vacationers and yauchter's frequent, for sunset and drinks and then walk downtown and try a new for me restaurant called Sheer. I avoid Philipsburg after dark but I would think that security would be increased if a ship is in port so I would take the opportunity and have dinner in Philipsburg and go somewhere that is not on the water at dark because for lunch I want to sea that turquois water!

I would taxi back from Philipsburg to the ship at night personally.

I would save the Grand Case restaurants for my island visit if I were you.

Have a wonderful Birthday!!

Edited by Karysa

I think Karysa nailed it - best restaurants on the island are probably all clustered in Grand Case. Chesterfields is fun for a drink - and a friend has let me know that Sheer is very good, if somewhat pricey. I was disappointed by the place at Holland House -,forget the name, a great location but high prices and unimpressive food and service. Philipsburg is a bit iffy late in the evening, so taxi is strongly recommended.

I think Karysa nailed it - best restaurants on the island are probably all clustered in Grand Case. Chesterfields is fun for a drink - and a friend has let me know that Sheer is very good, if somewhat pricey. I was disappointed by the place at Holland House -,forget the name, a great location but high prices and unimpressive food and service. Philipsburg is a bit iffy late in the evening, so taxi is strongly recommended.

When we stay on the island we never venture into Phillipsburg after dark. Not sure that crime is a big problem, but its just a place that most staying on the island avoid. In fact, the only time we ever go to Phillipsburg (when staying on the island) is on weekends when there are few to no cruise ships. Otherwise, islanders think of Phillipsburg as a place to avoid when cruise ships are in town. Grand Case is just the opposite. The small town can be totally dead during the day, but there are plenty of folks around at night because of all the good restaurants and even the decent LoLo (locally owned locally operated food stalls).

Hank

When we stay on the island we never venture into Phillipsburg after dark. Not sure that crime is a big problem, but its just a place that most staying on the island avoid. In fact, the only time we ever go to Phillipsburg (when staying on the island) is on weekends when there are few to no cruise ships. Otherwise, islanders think of Phillipsburg as a place to avoid when cruise ships are in town. Grand Case is just the opposite. The small town can be totally dead during the day, but there are plenty of folks around at night because of all the good restaurants and even the decent LoLo (locally owned locally operated food stalls).

Hank

In 2010 we were on a flight from SXM to Charlotte NC with a swim team of young teenagers that lived in and around Philipsburg. They were telling our daughters that getting broken into at night occurred about once a month for most of them! :eek: That certainly has stuck with me, and them too!

I like Philipsburg (in the day) when up to 3 ships are in town. It's lively!:) Parking stinks though but if you park at Chesterfield's they validate for 2 hours of parking so you only end up paying for another 2 hrs at $1 per hour and its a nice walk to town from there.

The LOLO's lost me when I SAW cockroaches on my table in the middle of the day many years ago now. Just too many other choices in Grand Case for us to return after that!

Edited by Karysa

Happy Birthday!

Did you want to stay in Phillipsburg or are you willing to head to Grand Case.

Lots of really good restaurants in Grand Case. Some with local fare, some with French fare, some on the ocean, some across the road. Look up Pressoir, Auberge Gourmande, le Soleil, or Ocean 82.

If you want top stay near the ship in Phillipsburg, there are plenty of restaurants around. One of the better for dinner is Antoine's, also Escargot. Chesterfields is a fun place for birthdays.

In Simpson Bay, you have the Greenhouse, So French, and greatr Thai place-Avantix (?).

I'm sure those who have stayed on the island for longer periods have their favorites and hopefully will share.

The Thai place and So French and Shiv Shika(?) the Indian restaurant across from the Atrium are the only Simpson Bay restaurants that we visit. I've gotten fussy in my old age as I am very spoiled regarding the restaurants that I go to even at home. Many of those are business dinners so I'm not paying for them but it really has spoiled me when on vacation. Even on a cruise we go to the specialty restaurants because of the decreased quality in the MDR.

That's funny how you mention that. With age, experiences, whatever you call it, I'm probably pickier than most. Few restaurants overly impress me but the services does.

The best nights are fun atmosphere, fun staff and good (doesn't have to be great) food.

That's funny how you mention that. With age, experiences, whatever you call it, I'm probably pickier than most. Few restaurants overly impress me but the services does.

The best nights are fun atmosphere, fun staff and good (doesn't have to be great) food.

"Great company" and then great food, and the rest is a bonus to me. Great service equals a great tip so there is definitely motivation for that. 😀

I was trying to think of a fun place with great service in St. Maarten with "good" food and if that's what you are really looking for then Pineapple Pete's may be the place for you. Pierre is originally from Quebec City and he is a very nice guy who has owned and operated this restaurant for over 10 years. They often have live music. We have only been once for dinner which was on St. Patrick's day in 2006 and we chose it as our last vacation meal pretty much for the reasons that you are looking for. Other than no green beer :eek::D it was everything that we were looking for. They even had poutine on the menu :), which given his roots is a nice touch.

Perhaps a little Internet research and a walk on the boardwalk in Philipsburg on the night that you are ported would be a way for you to find the restaurant that will give you what you are looking for to celebrate your special day.

For great service, less "fun", but fantastic food I would suggest the restaurants in Grand Case (for your island vacation nights). Many of them have one partner running the front of the restaurant and the other is the chef. This combination is a winning recipe for a great restaurant to me.

Edited by Karysa

We stayed on the beach in Grand Case last January prior to our cruise. The restaurants in Grand Case are amazing and I would highly recommend taking a taxi to eat your birthday dinner there. We celebrated my birthday there for several nights, each restaurant choice better and better!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums