Radiance of the Seas - question about disabled assistance

I wonder if anyone has any experience who could give some advice ... hubby and I are booked on Radiance in March 2018 Sydney - NZ - Sydney. My brother and his partner are coming along as well as my Mum. Hubby and I have a Grand Suite on deck 10. Brother and his partner have an oceanview cabin on deck 4. Mum has a single inside cabin on deck 4.

Mum had lung cancer and surgery last year which left her with only 1 lung. This has severely impacted on her ability to walk any real distance or exert herself at all. She uses a walker mostly to get around.

I was hoping that someone could tell me if there is any assistance offered in Sydney on boarding and disembarking and assistance with on and off tenders. I seem to recall that I read somewhere that to get to tenders that you have to walk down several sets of stairs on the ship before reaching the tender platform. Is There A lift down to the tender level that one can use? What about going back up? Also do staff assist getting in and off tenders and can her walker be taken on the tenders for use on shore?

Thanks in advance .... we are looking forward to this cruise but these questions are causing some anxiety not knowing how much assistance, if any, will be offered.

We are doing the same cruise but in April 2018 and have previously cruised on radiance of the seas.

The ship departs from the Overseas passenger terminal in circular quay. On arriving you will drop your bags near the entrance to the terminal. There will be customer service staff checking documents prior to you going into the terminal. Mention that you require priority disabled assistance boarding. You can also email Royal Caribbean to request this. They will send up up in a lift to the priority boarding checkin area. Rather than standing you are offered a seat and the wait is minimal. If you require further assistance you can ask there. They are loverly and very accommodating.

You are right. There are steps to get down to the tender platform. They have many staff to assist with guests getting onto the tenders. I'm not sure about a lift to the tender area.

I'm sure that she will be able to take her walker. Is it a folding one? This might make it easier for her.

On boarding go to the guest services desk and mention your concerns. They will be able to advise you as to what they can do to assist.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise and that your mum gets to enjoy herself after all she has been through. The staff on radiance of the seas are loverly and will do what ever they can to ensure that you all have a good cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't advise on the specifics as I have never sailed from Australia but I can share with you my own experience sailing with a disability. I have respiratory problems with 10% of normal capacity. Elderly parents who have sailed with me have had their own mobility and frailty problems.

With sailings from Europe and US, arranging wheelchair assistance to board the ship has never been a problem. I would assume similar arrangements exist in Australia.

Now, the main reason for my post is to advise caution regarding tenders. It is a safety issue, especially with the challenge of boarding and debarking the tender. I with my limited lung function and other mobility problems have never had a problem getting on and off the tender even when the seas are rough. My parents have had some problems when the seas have been a little choppy. The crew may advise against or even decline a person boarding a tender if they feel it is unsafe. It is a decision you should make yourself as well depending on the circumstances. Rough seas are a bigger problem than calm seas. My advice is to avoid itineraries that require tenders or take an objective view on whether to visit a port that requires a tender.

If you have any concerns talk to the crew on board and they should be able to advise but also follow your instincts and stay safe.

I agree with the previous post. Remember a tender moves up and down, sometimes opposite of the ship moving up and down. The ramp, is constantly moving.

My wife is disabled, and I make a point of not booking trips with tenders. If we do have one, than she decides on that day. We usually have a travel scooter on land, and they usually not allowed on tenders.

You might want to consider getting a scooter, or renting a scooter. Sometimes you can get scooters for not much more money than renting them!

Thank for all the responses - they hold some helpful and interesting information.

We booked this cruise as there isn’t a great deal out of Sydney that we could do for around the 10 day-ish length and the pacific islands didn’t really interest us - we have done NZ before but as it only has 2 tender ports and 2 dock ports it looked a good itinerary.

Esilef - yes her walker is a folding one which is good because as she has an inside single cabin I believe there’s not much room in there!! Good idea about letting the ground staff know about requiring assistance in advance. As hubby and I have a Grand Suite our boarding time is 11.30am but mums isn’t until 4pm - would they let her board earlier with us under these circumstances or would we have to wait until her boarding time do you think ? I suspect she will stay on the ship on tender port days.

Yuvraj - thanks for your input - 10% capacity must be a challenge. Mum has about 30-40%. As I mentioned above I think Mum will probably stay on board on tender port days but this is concerning me.

Havingfun2010 - is never thought about renting a mobility scooter ... it could be a good way for her to be able to move about the ship a bit easier - although it might take a few lessons!!

Yvonne, your Mum can get wheelchair assistance to board the ship at the terminal.... You can check in together... on entering the building let them know you need assistance. They will send you to the assistance check in area on the ground floor. After you check in they will take you up by lift to level 3 where you will pass through immigration and security.... then it’s on to the ship.... you can also get assistance for disembarkation at the end of the cruise

I agree with the previous post. Remember a tender moves up and down, sometimes opposite of the ship moving up and down. The ramp, is constantly moving.

My wife is disabled, and I make a point of not booking trips with tenders. If we do have one, than she decides on that day. We usually have a travel scooter on land, and they usually not allowed on tenders.

You might want to consider getting a scooter, or renting a scooter. Sometimes you can get scooters for not much more money than renting them!

I'm sure it's way too late to book an accessible cabin and no way to get a scooter into a regular interior. I know they can get a scooter onto a tender if seas are calm.

Yvonne,

We're on this cruise with you and also have a GS on the 10th floor. I would suggest renting a scooter and keeping it for your mom in your room. There's plenty of space. I just rented one on our recent Oasis cruise.

I've been on many tenders that allow scooters. She'll have to walk a few steps on to the tender and the staff will load the scooter.

You can call RCCL and request assistance at the Terminal in Sydney. We did the 13 day NZ cruise on the Radiance 3 yrs ago and getting on & off the Tenders, they will assist you. I don't recall if we went down any stairs or walked out unto the platform. if the platform is used then as previously mentioned, that will be moving sp she will need assistance over to the Tender

There will be no issues with her booking in early with you as you are in a GS. The mobility scooter is a great idea. Even if she stays on the ship on tender boat days she will have beautiful views. New Zealand is spectacular. She may enjoy using this time as quite time and just to relax.

Try buying a secondhand travel scooter prior to the cruise. This way she can get used to it. A couple of years ago I looked to rent one in Sydney but it was expensive. I'm selling one but in Melbourne

• 1 month later...

Probably not as an official activity. Post this question on your roll call to see if there is any interest. Also, since not all on the cruise are on Cruise Critic, when you get on board, post a note on the Community Board (located usually near Group Services) to see if there is any interest.

I wonder if anyone has any experience who could give some advice ... hubby and I are booked on Radiance in March 2018 Sydney - NZ - Sydney. My brother and his partner are coming along as well as my Mum. Hubby and I have a Grand Suite on deck 10. Brother and his partner have an oceanview cabin on deck 4. Mum has a single inside cabin on deck 4.

Mum had lung cancer and surgery last year which left her with only 1 lung. This has severely impacted on her ability to walk any real distance or exert herself at all. She uses a walker mostly to get around.

I was hoping that someone could tell me if there is any assistance offered in Sydney on boarding and disembarking and assistance with on and off tenders. I seem to recall that I read somewhere that to get to tenders that you have to walk down several sets of stairs on the ship before reaching the tender platform. Is There A lift down to the tender level that one can use? What about going back up? Also do staff assist getting in and off tenders and can her walker be taken on the tenders for use on shore?

Thanks in advance .... we are looking forward to this cruise but these questions are causing some anxiety not knowing how much assistance, if any, will be offered.

Yes you can take a walker or wheelchair onto a tender

We cruised on the Radiance with my mother in -law who had heart surgery and uses a walker..The crew are wonderful with helping people get on and off the ship .And we had no problems with getting my mother in-law onto the tender as they do have a lift that will help anyone that needs assistance get down the platform for the tender.

Hiring a scooter is also a good idea. A friend hired one for their father last year from a company in Sydney from http://www.wheelchairstogo.com.au/wheelchair_hire_rental_sydney.html

and it made getting around the ship a lot easier.

Edited by Jasp 0401