Panama Canal first-time cruise solo - Coral Princess or Norwegian Star?

Scougs

Planning my first ever ocean cruise (have done a couple of river cruises) as sailing through the Panama Canal is on my bucket list. I've done a lot of research and read a lot of reviews, and have whittled it down to either the Norwegian Star or Coral Princess, both departing January 2019.

I'm a young-acting fifty-something lady, and will be travelling solo. I have already decided that a balcony is a must, so I can have somewhere to sit with a bit of privacy with a drink and a book. While on ship, I'll be looking for some chill out time, some pool time, live music, entertainment - but in an adult setting. I've nothing against people wanting to have a fun, family holiday - I just want it to be anywhere around me! I see the Coral Princess has an "Adults only" spa pool - anyone know if there is a charge for this, ie only available to paying spa customers? Do Norwegian aim at the more family end of the market, and therefore their pools are likely to be full of noisy children having fun?

Anybody with any experience of Princess or Norwegian that they can share? Any tips?

On longer cruises like Panama Canal cruises, and especially if you go during times schools are in session, I think you won't find many children on board no matter which cruise line you choose. My Princess experience is many years ago now, and I with NCL I've only been on the Sky and the Getaway and not on the class of ships that the Star is part of...so I can't be much help in distinguishing between the ships/cruiselines. In general I would say that Princess' reputation is as a slightly classier line than NCL, but NCL is known for having tons of dining options available and a more relaxed vibe...if that helps at all. I'd suggest reading reviews on this site and seeing which sounds more appealing to you. Have a great cruise either way!

• 2 months later...

I’ve cruised through the Panama Canal on the Coral and loved this ship. Perfect size. I shared a balcony with a friend, but I have taken other cruises solo. I think I would have been comfortable going solo on the Coral. Since you are with them for two weeks, the steward and staff get to know you pretty quickly if you show up for the various games and activities. I have a solo booked with NCL in May but it will be my first time with them. I have heard they cater to solos so it may come down to which one fits your needs. Either way, you will have a great time.

I did the Panama canal cruise solo on the Norwegian Star a few years ago, and it was a great trip. With a cruise like you are looking at, it's more about the voyage than it is about the ship. I am sure the Coral Princess would be fine as well. When I was on the Star they opened up the bow of the ship as we were going through the canal and it was nice to get a close up view of the canal, especially as you were dropping or rising in the various locks. It is impressive going through the canal, when on the Promenade deck you start out above the canal and then as you go through the locks you are even with the sides of the canal. Whichever ship you choose, enjoy your voyage.