Tour of New Locks Observation Center

Camille43081

We are doing our second Panama Trip in February, doing a partial transit of the old locks. Their is a tour offered when we moor in Gatun Lake through HAL called "New Locks & Former Canal Zone". Does anyone have any experience with this tour? It is unclear, but I think once off the boat via Tender, it's all motor-coach to get to the center, and then back to Colon to rejoin the ship after it locks back out of Gatun Lake. Anyone have experience with this one?

While I have not taken that shore excursion as constituted by a cruise line, what you describe is how that tour operates. Certainly the new locks will be of interesting, however the tour of the former Canal Zone might or might not be of particular interest. This area consists primarily of former US military installations and civilian town sites during the US administration of the Canal. This part of the tour would probably attract someone who has spent time in the area previously.

While I have not taken that shore excursion as constituted by a cruise line, what you describe is how that tour operates. Certainly the new locks will be of interesting, however the tour of the former Canal Zone might or might not be of particular interest. This area consists primarily of former US military installations and civilian town sites during the US administration of the Canal. This part of the tour would probably attract someone who has spent time in the area previously.

Understood. I don't think we even get off the motor coach, just drive through it.

You will certainly get off at the Visitor's Center which has visual presentations, area to purchase refreshments along with a nice viewing area. This will more than likely be first on the agenda being so close where you tender off the ship. Don't know what exactly what they have planned for drive through of the former Canal Zones areas, but distance wise from the Visitor's Center it's only around 12 miles or so. Probably no stops on this portion of the tour.

We are doing our second Panama Trip in February, doing a partial transit of the old locks. Their is a tour offered when we moor in Gatun Lake through HAL called "New Locks & Former Canal Zone". Does anyone have any experience with this tour? It is unclear, but I think once off the boat via Tender, it's all motor-coach to get to the center, and then back to Colon to rejoin the ship after it locks back out of Gatun Lake. Anyone have experience with this one?

The tour "New Locks & Former Canal Zone" is also offered by HAL from Fuerte Amador. The description says that the Observation Center is a park-style concept based on open platforms and roofed terraces built over an area of 10 acres. I am confused as to whether the Observation Center Canal Expansion is separate from the Agua Clara Visitor Center. Does anyone know if these are two different places or just two names for the same place?

It is the same place. However with the tour originating from the Pacific side they could very well offer different areas of the former Canal Zone to visit than they would taking the passengers to Colon to rejoin the ship.

Thanks. Not being a Zonie, my interest is in the new locks. The Canal Zone is gravy.