Sydney port to airport questions

CruisinPashmina

Anyone know which cruise terminal The Shadow will be using on January 3rd? I understand, from Master Echo’s recent post that SS is now not always tied up in the Circular Quay. If we have to tie up at The White Bay Port, how long would it take to get to the airport? Actually, just in case we do use the Circular Quay, how long would the ride to the airport take? I have, stupidly, booked an 11:15am flight and am having serious panic attacks. ALL advice will be very appreciated.

We made that journey in February 2016 on a Saturday morning. We were first off the ship at 8 o’clock (thank you Saskia), jumped in a pre booked taxi, called in at a Circular Quay Hotel to leave two large bags and headed to the airport for a flight to Melbourne. The flight was at 1100, not international and we made it easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we have to tie up at The White Bay Port, how long would it take to get to the airport? Actually, just in case we do use the Circular Quay, how long would the ride to the airport take?
Hopefully drron29 or rojann19 will chime in here as they know Sydney very well.

Hopefully drron29 or rojann19 will chime in here as they know Sydney very well.

Thanks Brian !

Yes according to the White Bay Cruise Terminal the Shadow docks at 6am on Wednesday 3rd Jan.

Silver Shadow3-Jan-2018 06:00 (Wed)4-Jan-2018 02:00 (Thu)White Bay Cruise TerminalISS V Ships Leisure SAM

Now it depends on if you are flying domestic or international Cruising Pashmina !!

As the ship is coming from NZ you will have cleared immigration in Hobart - so that is good, as it means you could leave the ship early if needed.

Flying domestic you will have no problems - disembarking at 9am, pre order a taxi and half and hour taxi ride to the Domestic Terminal. You could check in on line 24 hours ahead and just do bag drop.

Now if you are flying international you will need to check in early, there are 20 international flights leaving Sydney between 11am and noon. 3 separate flights to the USA ( AA, United and Qantas) so the airport will be busy. I would want to be there at 8am ( but that is me - I am A type :o ) So that would mean leaving the ship at 7.30 into your pre-ordered taxi !

The domestic terminal is 5 kilometres from the International terminal.

Any other questions ??

Websites:

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/

https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/

https://www.silverservice.com.au/ ( taxi company )

I have question on the reverse-Airport to white Bay cruise terminal. We are arriving same day, which I never do except now! On Regent Sydney to Auckland. Our flight is supposed to arrive at 8:30 am. How long will it take us to clear customs, etc, get out of the airport and get to the ship? Should I book a private car or even plan for a city tour since we can’t embark till noonish?

I have question on the reverse-Airport to white Bay cruise terminal. We are arriving same day, which I never do except now! On Regent Sydney to Auckland. Our flight is supposed to arrive at 8:30 am. How long will it take us to clear customs, etc, get out of the airport and get to the ship? Should I book a private car or even plan for a city tour since we can’t embark till noonish?

Hi Rachel, ! Mornings are the busiest time at Sydney airport for arrivals. You will have approx. 30 - 40 flight arrivals between 6am and 8.30am. Saying that I have been through in 20 minutes or it could take you 90 minutes ! I would book a car and do a city tour - you should have 2 1/2 hours before embarking, and there isn't anything to do at the cruise terminal ! If you bring any food into Australia - our customs are really severe with that - declare it. No fruit. All bags are x rayed and there are dogs patrolling the bag carousels. Have a great time !

Ann

Edited by rojaan19

We disembarked at White Bay a few weeks ago, there were plenty of taxis waiting at the cruise terminal and we were at the airport in less than 30 minutes. Having said that it was a Sunday but at the time of your arrival most of Sydney will still be on holiday.

Jenny

CruisinPashmina-

I understand your panic. In all likelihood, it will work out although you will have a whole lot of stress to deal with. I suggest you speak to the airline and see if there is a later flight that you could change to if things do not go as planned. These days, I try to look at "what is the worst thing that could happen?", and in this case, it is simply (or not so simply) buying a very expensive airplane ticket home. And if the worst did happen you could consider spending a few days in Sydney as a second vacation.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Don't let it spoil your trip.

Edited by Emtbsam
spelling

Rachel,

These two tips may (or may not ...) save you a heap of time when you arrive at Sydney Airport.

1. When you pass passport control there are often long lines to clear customs as they are keen to find a wide range of items with the focus on vegetation or items that might hold insects. When you arrive at the luggage carousels, if you look carefully around you you will see some people walking unobtrusively around with clipboards. They are both "spotters" to try and identify people worthy of a closer look, but are also authorised and can do express clearance at the carousel. If you have genuinely nothing to declare having read the declarations carefully which you will,complete and sign whilst on board, then approach one of these people with a cheery smile. and ask if they are a customs official and if they say yes ask if they could "clear you". If they agree they will ask you for your signed and completed entry card, you a few questions and if you pass, they will give you a pass to get out of the airport bypassing the queues and much more quickly.

2. If you do not see such a person, then another tactic if the "nothing to declare" ie green queues are long then have a look at the "too declare" ie red line which is nearly always much much shorter. It is often quicker to join that line and "declare"allowable medication even if it is only paracetamol on the basis that you "weren't sure so thought you should be cautious and that you would ask". This tactic works well in most airports.

I have used both methods and they do save a lot of time.

EDITED: This is the card you will read and sign on the plane and which the "spotter" will take from you ..... make sure you have decent glasses if you need them as the print is small and the plane is moving ... but at least you can now read the form at leisure before your flight!

https://www.border.gov.au/EnteringorleavingAustralia/Documents/english-ipc-sample.pdf

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

CrusinPashmina -- I too will be on the 11:15 AA flight from Sydney in February but am taking the SS shuttle so I can only assume they will get me to the airport on time since they will have my departure time. Or I can always arrange for a private taxi.

Thanks for all the tips.

Jaci

CruisinPashmina, we arrived into White Bay on Shadow last Tuesday. Whilst our Customs procedures were carried out in Darwin, the ship still wasn’t cleared by Sydney Port authorities until close to 8:00am, even though we were tied up alongside by 7:00am.

We were in the first group off the ship and passed through the terminal very quickly: from leaving the ship to getting into our taxi (not prebooked) was around 10 minutes. Then a 30 minute ride to the domestic airport and arrived with plenty of time to spare for our 10:45am flight.

Whilst you are probably cutting it quite fine you will likely be okay if all goes smoothly BUT Sydney traffic is often horrendous and an accident may mean you won’t make your flight.

Hope this helps (and enjoy your cruise).

CruisinPashmina I really think you will be OK. That Wednesday the traffic wont be full on as it is still a "holiday" week. Just pre book a taxi for peace of mind and be packed a ready early. I will be in Florida thinking about you and Rachel !

I really appreciate all the very helpful information..this situation is entirely my fault and I’ll just have to deal with it and hope that I will be okay. I certainly should have known better. This could be one terribly expensive lesson.

Hi C,

You do seem to be concerned about it and if you are cutting it fine, you need to just question and make sure you don't risk spending some of the precious last few days of your cruise fretting about it instead of biting the bullet and making some changes.

Dear Cruisin Pashmina,

Echo Badgerdee's comments re our arrival at White Bay. In fact, this is a better location for a fast run to the airport than Circular Quay, and I also managed an unimpeded run to the airport International Terminal in around 30 minutes, and I didn't have a pre-booked taxi.

All the traffic congestion was inbound and anybody making an airport to ship journey in the morning rush hour should factor that in.

Please be warned that luggage trolleys have to be paid for at the airport and from recollection this was $4 Australian, unrefundable, but for which payment can be made by card.

Please make sure that you tell your driver which airline you are flying with, so that he can drop you off at the appropriate door into the terminal, because it is a long walk end to end.

If you are travelling business class or above, there is a security fast track area and I had no delay at all negotiating this. It might be worth informing guest relations that you need to be disembarking at 8.00 am, so that they are at least aware of the time critical aspect of your departure.

DONT PANIC - just be organised - you will be fine!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Just a heads up on the declare no declare lines.

This is no longer the case as everyone goes down the same channel and is met by an officer who then moves you into an appropriate lane based on the length of the line.

It used to be a great option and those in the know used it.... they worked that out!

Pashmina I know you are onboard now but don’t panic, plenty of time just de bark around 8. The slowest bit at the airport will be the traffic as they have redone the approaches and the queues to get in can be the worst part.

As you are flying to the US you will have a double security but in business class you will have a fast track lane. Theres a separate entrance which is behind the Qantas check in counters. Don’t panic if you miss it as you can still get in the fast track from the normal line.

Hope you are having a wonderful trip. Wish we were on board

Dear Cruisin Pashmina

How lovely to hear from you and I am so pleased that you are having a good time:)

Do please give my regards to Martin, Kirk, Grant, Louis, Haris, and Sergio and I wish you all a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2018.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

xx