OBC from TA refundable?

dszrew

Sailed with Silversea several years ago through a trip arranged from work, and have done several cruises with Celebrity and thinking about doing a special trip again with Silversea. I'm used to having OBC from the TA able to be refunded if we don't use it. The Silversea contract says OBC isn't refundable, and searching the forums there are posts from people wondering how to use the OBC that isn't refunded. Is the OBC from a TA treated differently and can that balance be refunded after the cruise?

Sailed with Silversea several years ago through a trip arranged from work, and have done several cruises with Celebrity and thinking about doing a special trip again with Silversea. I'm used to having OBC from the TA able to be refunded if we don't use it. The Silversea contract says OBC isn't refundable, and searching the forums there are posts from people wondering how to use the OBC that isn't refunded. Is the OBC from a TA treated differently and can that balance be refunded after the cruise?

Fairly sure that all SS OBC is treated the same, non refundable. There are plenty of helpful hints on these boards of how to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The TA that quoted the additional OBC says it's refundable, but I found only one reference on the boards that suggested it might be (and that was a few years old). Just trying to verify before I commit to anything. Internet and shore excursions are about all we'd use OBC for.

The TA that quoted the additional OBC says it's refundable, but I found only one reference on the boards that suggested it might be (and that was a few years old). Just trying to verify before I commit to anything. Internet and shore excursions are about all we'd use OBC for.

Just had the choice from my TA. I took the cash.

The TA that quoted the additional OBC says it's refundable.
OBC’s aren’t refundable, either use it or lose it.

Quick question... why bother with an OBC from a TA at all? If the OBC is truly coming from the TA and not another party, just have the TA mail you a check after you take the cruise. This is what our TA does and it works perfectly. This way you ensure you get the full value of the discount offered and don’t have to worry about spending money on things you may not otherwise typically purchase just to “use” an OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the last ten years+, on nearly a dozen Silversea cruises we have had both refundable and non refundable ship board credits. It depends on how your TA codes the SBC when forwarding to SS.

On the other hand if you use an American Express Platinum or Centurion card to pay for your SS cruise, the $300 or $500 SBC is not refundable.

Now, instead of using AMX card to get a $300 SBC we use a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card to get more than $300 SBC, instead we get about $500-$1000 cash back depending on the cruise fare. Plus, if we are sailing in the new year (Jan-Mar) our Chase Card gives us a $300 travel credit (good for ship board expenses). We also take our US Bank Altitude card that in the new year gives us a $325 travel credit. Looking forward to spending these travel credits next month on our Lima to Buenos Aires voyage.

Hope this helps.

Edited by WesW

OBC’s aren’t refundable, either use it or lose it.

Quick question... why bother with an OBC from a TA at all? If the OBC is truly coming from the TA and not another party, just have the TA mail you a check after you take the cruise. This is what our TA does and it works perfectly. This way you ensure you get the full value of the discount offered and don’t have to worry about spending money on things you may not otherwise typically purchase just to “use” an OBC.

And some travel agents send you the check BEFORE the cruise, along with your cruise documents. :)

I know. [emoji4] Those are the best! I appreciate their trustworthiness.

On our recent SS cruise, out TA offered a large OBC with the options to receive it before, on board, after, or a combination of any of these options. We chose to have it entirely onboard and spent most on shore excursions and cashed out the rest at the reception desk on the last day of sailing.