Ncl 10% tax ambush!

Dodge7707

I am also on the Spirit at the moment.

A few facts:

The Spirit has been running an itinery like this from Barcelona for some years.

I have cruised this itinery many times including last January 2017.

I have always bought the Ultimate Beverage Package.

I have NEVER had to pay ANY taxes on drinks in port, Spanish waters, anywhere.

From feedback on ship this HAS changed very RECENTLY. (It has NOT always been the same)

I am expecting a tax charge of an additional $150 minimum.

The question about other shipping lines doing the same is to check the veracity of NCL’s actions. I am interested in what other recent cruisers have to say and if they were treated the same,

Please believe me, if you are Ultimate Beverage Package, or All Inclusive on NCL, this has changed, very recently.

Given this information, I am thinking someone in the Spanish tax office decided to do an audit. Consequences ensued.

Spain requires VAT be charged for on board purchases done on cruises departing Spain, purchases that are charged upon boarding. So, all cruise lines are doing it. I know HAL does.

It may have been a surprise to you, but it is not new.

It is new because they introduced it on ncl 3 weeks ago. It has been on drinks that are purchased without drinks Package or all inc. we have been doing this cruise every year so we do know what was previously charged and what was not. Thanks for your reply

Yes, that is what we experienced in FLL, on HAL > My DH and I bought a few bottles of wine form one of the bars, while we were still docked. we were charged a tax which was either state or city. After we sailed , no tax. Th is not anything the cruise line can control. The subject of the thread is not quite fair to NCL IMO

Yes you would have been charged tax as you purchased them from the bar in port. The beverage package is something purchased elsewhere and has never been subject to these taxes previously,we do this beverage package on ncl every year and it has only changed in the last 3 weeks. We were on the same ship in January so the thread is very fair and a valid criticism of ncl.

Yes you would have been charged tax as you purchased them from the bar in port. The beverage package is something purchased elsewhere and has never been subject to these taxes previously,we do this beverage package on ncl every year and it has only changed in the last 3 weeks. We were on the same ship in January so the thread is very fair and a valid criticism of ncl.

On HAL you can purchase beverage package at a bar.

I don’t know if it is the same thing, but we were charged tax having the beverage package while docked in NYC.

• 3 months later...

Even if they were to start charging taxes on the UBP it would have to be on the total amount per day not the individual drinks as these have no value and by EU regulations taxes have to be included in prices (they can't be added on later like they are in USA).

So regardless of how you want to swing it being Spain charging the taxes, NCL are still going about charging the taxes incorrectly. They can do it in Miami, NYC, Texas etc where they add the local taxes to drinks later as that is permitted in US, but out of EU they have to be included with menu or package pricing not added on later.

Also charging individual taxes with an UBP is like taxing 10% of $0.00 as it is already paid for.

I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious. How exactly are they charging tax on a pre-purchased beverage package? In other words, what are they basing it on and how is it charged?

I think some people on this thread are confusing taxes charged on individual purchases. Those have been around for a long time. This, however, is the first I'm hearing of taxes on a pre-purchased package.

Governments all over the world are looking for new sources of revenue. Taxing tourists is a painless way to do it. Those paying the tax are usually not residents, so cannot vote against those implementing it.

You would be ch arged a tax if the ship is docked in Port Everglades, Florida and buy a drink. Do not imply the cruise line /ship, is doing anything wrong. they are following local law.

Governments all over the world are looking for new sources of revenue. Taxing tourists is a painless way to do it. Those paying the tax are usually not residents, so cannot vote against those implementing it.

The loudest way to vote against them is to no longer travel there..... vote with one's wallet.

Of course, one must decide if the few dollars tax is annoying enough to deny oneself a visit to a place they otherwise enjoy.

You would be ch arged a tax if the ship is docked in Port Everglades, Florida and buy a drink. Do not imply the cruise line /ship, is doing anything wrong. they are following local law.

That's not the issue. The issue is getting charged tax on a pre-purchased beverage package. I've never been taxed on a UBP in Florida. Individual purchases, yes, but pre-purchased packages, no.

That's not the issue. The issue is getting charged tax on a pre-purchased beverage package. I've never been taxed on a UBP in Florida. Individual purchases, yes, but pre-purchased packages

I do not know the tax laws in Spain.......... how many here do?

But, again, I do not know the tax laws.

I would venture to say NCL does not keep that tax they collected. They are not enriched f rom it but e rather it is Spains' money.

Is there an implication, NCL is cheating their guests and/ or Spain? I would want to he ar evidence from someone who would actually know.

Also, I have never purchased a Beverage package.

Edited by sail7seas

Beware of taxes now imposed once you have boarded the ship when you are in Spanish waters,even if you are all inclusive or have the ultimate beverage package. This can be quite costly as it includes days in port,extra hours when passing through the straights of Gibraltar.We were ambushed with this info after we had boarded! It may be worth checking with your booking agent whether you can transfer to a non tax cruise. Has anyone found this tax on any other cruise line. We are still on board at the moment and not happy about it.[/quote

This was not an ambush.

It was a "not paying attention tax".

It has been happening for years and you may be the only person left who didn't know about it.

"Nobody told me " is not a valid excuse if you are over age 10.

Next time, you should do your homework before you travel.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Edited by sail7seas

This was not an ambush.

It was a "not paying attention tax".

It has been happening for years and you may be the only person left who didn't know about it.

"Nobody told me " is not a valid excuse if you are over age 10.

Next time, you should do your homework before you travel.

So maybe you can be the one to answer my question. How do you charge tax on a pre-paid beverage package? How is the tax figured?

The difference is that in the US particularly Florida it is acceptable and a common practice to add taxes on whilst a purchase is made, however, EU regulations stipulate that all taxes and fees must be included with the "menu" price or "package" price and adding them on after is illegal in all of EU unlike America. Basically, the price you see is the price you pay.

Also, it does not explain how they are trying to justify charging taxes on something that has no value such as a drink included in a beverage package that should already be covered as it has been paid for in full. If they want to charge taxes it has to be paid upfront with the package cost with regulations in the European Union.

It's like NCL is applying American rules and regulations regarding taxes to Europe which operates completely differently and what they are doing would be considered unlawful practice.

The difference is that in the US particularly Florida it is acceptable and a common practice to add taxes on whilst a purchase is made, however, EU regulations stipulate that all taxes and fees must be included with the "menu" price or "package" price and adding them on after is illegal in all of EU unlike America. Basically, the price you see is the price you pay.

Also, it does not explain how they are trying to justify charging taxes on something that has no value such as a drink included in a beverage package that should already be covered as it has been paid for in full. If they want to charge taxes it has to be paid upfront with the package cost with regulations in the European Union.

It's like NCL is applying American rules and regulations regarding taxes to Europe which operates completely differently and what they are doing would be considered unlawful practice.

I Have Not read the port, or Spanish tax as apply to cruis e ships so I would not say whatt they may b e doing wrong but I would want to see exactly wht the law demands of gthem before I 'a judge' hey are violating a law either in terms of to Spain OR to guests before s tating they are doing anything wrong. I do Not know they are doing anything wrong and ask how anyone here knows they are.

Some lines seem to swallow this tax on UBPs so passengers are happy but Carnival don't (if you are going to be in the Horizon) and I heard rumours Royal don't either.

On our Vista cruise some passengers fought against this and won. Some people didn't.

Some lines seem to swallow this tax on UBPs so passengers are happy but Carnival don't (if you are going to be in the Horizon) and I heard rumours Royal don't either.

On our Vista cruise some passengers fought against this and won. Some people didn't.

Seriously, they went on a cruise and fought about a tax on beverages? :eek: So m uch for chilling out and relaxing. :loudcry: Hope the few dollars was worth the high blood pressure they caused themselves while on vacation. Must be a fun crowd. :)D