What to Do????

teacherman

We are taking a TA to Amsterdam and then a train to Paris for a few days. We are looking to buy one way Business Class home to DTW. Prices for Delta, which flies non-stop are way high. But in playing around on the Air2Sea site, it appears we could take a flight from Paris to AMS, on our own, for about $50 each, spend the night at an airport hotel, and then take a Delta flight home for almost $700pp less than from Paris. Or we could take the high speed train to AMS.

Another strange thing is that if we were in AMS, we could also take a flight that would take us back to Paris and then transfer to a non stop home to DTW. This would still be far less than just booking from Paris. Now, we have more choices. This is all so strange, but these are the choices being offered.

IF you are looking at Air France, take a look at La Premiere pricing too.....last spring when some friends thought they would go in biz, from IAD to CPH they happened to notice that first was only $500 bucks more. So they ended up with the 1st lounge in IAD to themselves along with all four seats on the plane to themselves as well as the limo service from plane to lounge in Paris.

Apparently, AF greatly discounts La Premiere when flying somewhere other than Paris - just need to make sure you are in the new cabins.....we flew them in biz in the new seats and loved them but for an additional $500 I would gladly pay to be in La Premiere!

We've added a night at the Sheraton in AMS once when it worked out for us (couldn't find FF flights from Munich, but could find them from AMS). Hotel rate was good since it was a Sunday night. Took the train from the airport back into town for dinner. Hotel is connected to the terminal so it was an easy departure day...we could even sleep in a bit.

Only you can be the judge if the added trouble is worth about $1.2K (after hotel and dinner expenses).

Are you already committed to the train to Paris? If not look to see if you can do the flight from AMS to Paris, then a stop over, then the CDG to DTW... might work, might not. Fares go up and down and often make little sense because computers are forecasting passenger loads and demand based on history rather than on current events.

Another strange thing is that if we were in AMS, we could also take a flight that would take us back to Paris and then transfer to a non stop home to DTW. This would still be far less than just booking from Paris. Now, we have more choices. This is all so strange, but these are the choices being offered.

It's not strange if you think about it. Airlines sell for what people are willing to pay, not what it costs to provide a service. Non-stops are generally seen as being preferred so that demands a premium.

My brother lives on the island of Jersey and if I fly JFK-LON-JER return it's much less than JFK-LON return. The last time I did it I flew First on BA on the JFK-LON-JER itinerary for less than the price of Club World on JFK-LON. I still have family in the UK so even with bookending my trips with Jersey visits and doing 8 flights all in First and business class I'm still ahead of the game versus just buying business outright on a simple transatlantic return.