DIY UK Tour after Greek Cruise

I see nothing wrong with Brentford as a compromise for both parties. Any further West (Windsor for example) means a longer ride into London for that group.

Not convinced at all by this, but you must be more familiar with Brentford than I am. I can't imagine recommending anyone I know to stay there to visit Bath, Cardiff and the Cotswolds OR central London :) It depends quite where is meant by Brentford, of course.

But staying in Reading, for example, means just 30 minutes on a main line train into Paddington, which is a similar time, and a better journey off-peak IMHO, than the tube into the centre of town from South Ealing (which may be quite a way from "Brentford"). Easy access to the mainlines going west (an hour to Bath, 90-ish minutes to Cardiff) or the motorway network from there. Staying in Windsor means some tourist sites on your doorstep (of course, from Brentford one could easily do Kew, Syon, Osterley etc, but that didn't seem to feature on the OP's list).

I don't think there are mainline trains from Ealing Broadway to Bath or Cardiff, by the way. It tends to be served by the stopping Reading and Oxford services?

I see you are adding in a night away for the Western party in to your itinerary. That makes a lot of sense, but brings a whole host of other options in to play!

Have you considered doing Dublin as the last part of your tour? In my opinion it's the best airport in the British Isles to fly from when travelling to the US. You can clear US Customs and Immigration in Dublin airport which saves a lot of time queuing after a 5.5 - 6 hour flight.

Also Shannon Airport has US Pre-Clearance.

On the driving side, I reckon the three hardest features to master are Roundabouts (entering the roundabout and who has right of way), turning right when proceeding down a one way street (remember to keep to left side of road when you turn)and the fact that Red Lights mean STOP. Even if no pedestrians cross the road, you cannot creep around.

On the driving side, I reckon the three hardest features to master are Roundabouts (entering the roundabout and who has right of way), turning right when proceeding down a one way street (remember to keep to left side of road when you turn)and the fact that Red Lights mean STOP. Even if no pedestrians cross the road, you cannot creep around.

GREAT advice! Thank you!! I read that we do not need to apply for an international driver's license to drive in Ireland - added bonus.

Not convinced at all by this, but you must be more familiar with Brentford than I am. I can't imagine recommending anyone I know to stay there to visit Bath, Cardiff and the Cotswolds OR central London :) It depends quite where is meant by Brentford, of course.

But staying in Reading, for example, means just 30 minutes on a main line train into Paddington, which is a similar time, and a better journey off-peak IMHO, than the tube into the centre of town from South Ealing (which may be quite a way from "Brentford"). Easy access to the mainlines going west (an hour to Bath, 90-ish minutes to Cardiff) or the motorway network from there. Staying in Windsor means some tourist sites on your doorstep (of course, from Brentford one could easily do Kew, Syon, Osterley etc, but that didn't seem to feature on the OP's list).

I don't think there are mainline trains from Ealing Broadway to Bath or Cardiff, by the way. It tends to be served by the stopping Reading and Oxford services?

I see you are adding in a night away for the Western party in to your itinerary. That makes a lot of sense, but brings a whole host of other options in to play!

Reading would be okay I guess, but the morning trains will be packed with commuters and Paddington is not that great as a starting point for a day out in London. Brentford trains will be packed too, but there is a direct service to Waterloo (30 mins) I was starting from to POV of the OP already having found an apartment.

Bath, of course, is a popular tourist destination, but Cardiff, nice though it is, does not seem to offer a lot to an overseas visitor.

The problem with asking for opinions on an itinerary like this is that you will get several different ones.

We are Americans and spent a month driving and sightseeing around Great Britain and Ireland with another couple. My husband did the majority of the driving. We had no problems driving other than our GPS kept sending us down lanes - the worst had grass growing in the middle and was single lane and we met a tractor. Anyway, we had a blast, didn’t put any scratches on the car. The left hand drive is really not difficult and the round abouts are no different than those in the US.

We picked up a stick shift rental car in London, drove around southern England and through Wales took the car on a ferry from Holyhead, Wales to Dublin, Ireland drove most of the southern and western coasts of Ireland, northern coast of Northern Ireland. Took the rental car across another ferry from Larne, Northern Ireland to Cairnryan, Scotland then drove much of Scotland before driving south back into England. This trip was round trip from London.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few assorted comments..........

Brentford.

Is a mainly residential suburb of Greater London. Not touristy & a strange choice for a tourist, but there are a few places of interest like Kew Gardens or the Kew Bridge Steam Pumping Station (now an industrial museum)

As Bob's post it's handy to the M4 motorway, convenient for driving to Bath & Cardiff and tolerably convenient for driving to Stonehenge & the Cotswolds.

But although it's convenient for train travel into central London, its very inconvenient for train travel to the places you mention - those train journeys will involve two, mebbe three changes.

Consider instead Oxford or Reading, both of which have excellent rail links.

Oxford of course is a major tourist draw, and you can book a Cotswolds van tour from there. If you book a hotel in central Oxford you need one with guaranteed parking or return the car to the depot at the end of your day.

Reading is a rather mundane mainly residential town & not touristy. But it's popular with London commuters because of its excellent rail links. It's also likely to be cheaper than Oxford. It's adjacent the M4 and has other good road links.

Windsor is ideal if you have a car, but it's expensive and again you need guaranteed parking. Like Brentford it's convenient for train travel into London but not to elsewhere, though Bath only needs one change of train.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

You've mentioned Windsor, Stonehenge, Bath, Cardiff and the Cotswolds.

You won't fit them all into 2 days, you'll have to pick & choose.

Windsor in half-a-day is OK.

Stonehenge needs about 90 minutes on-site

So those two could be in one day by car.

Bath is worth a full day but plenty of folk are happy with a half-day plus travel time.

So you could combine Bath with Stonehenge or Windsor.

The Cotswolds are worth a full day, though I guess you could drive to Bath for the morning & wend your way back thro the Cotswolds.

Cardiff is quite a long way. Any particular reason for including it?

Your revised driving itinerary makes some sense, tho you'd have little or no time to see Bath on Day 1, so it'd have to be the morning of Day 2 at the expense of Cardiff . Or skip Stonehenge on Day 1..

Driving on the left is pretty easy. Your car will be right-hand drive, much of your driving will be on divided highway, and there'll mainly be plenty of traffic so it's just follow the guy in front.

The times of risk are:

When you leave a parking spot or gas station, esp on the wrong side of the road - so leave yourself a note on the seat.

At turnings, most especially if you make a late manoeuvre - so if you spot your turn late, skip it & turn round further down the road.

More important to flip thru some of the driving laws in the UK, like:

- no turn-out on red. Red means red.

- no overtaking on the nearside. Keep to the left lane & only overtake on the right - same logic as on some US rural interstates.

- we're keen on taking up the correct lane, & don't baulk anyone when switching lanes.

- we have a lot of roundabouts (traffic islands). Same as the few in the US, you yield to traffic that's already on the roundabout.

- there are no four-way stops. At junctions one road will have priority.

- there are a lot of fixed speed cameras in the UK. If the traffic that's bombing along over the speed limit all slow down for no apparent reason, it'll be locals who know there's a camera.

Unless you specify automatic, most rental cars in the UK & Europe are shift-stick.

Rent as small a car as you'll fit in. Makes it easier on narrow roads & parking.

JB :)

We are Americans and spent a month driving and sightseeing around Great Britain and Ireland with another couple. My husband did the majority of the driving. We had no problems driving other than our GPS kept sending us down lanes - the worst had grass growing in the middle and was single lane and we met a tractor. Anyway, we had a blast, didn’t put any scratches on the car. The left hand drive is really not difficult and the round abouts are no different than those in the US.

We picked up a stick shift rental car in London, drove around southern England and through Wales took the car on a ferry from Holyhead, Wales to Dublin, Ireland drove most of the southern and western coasts of Ireland, northern coast of Northern Ireland. Took the rental car across another ferry from Larne, Northern Ireland to Cairnryan, Scotland then drove much of Scotland before driving south back into England. This trip was round trip from London.

Thanks so much for this post! Sounds like a FANTASTIC trip!!! My kind of trip. My in-laws were not up for driving around the UK for one month, hence the flights between London/Dublin, Shannon/Edinburgh and Edinburgh/London.

What size of car did you rent? Since there are 7 of us and that we are driving around the countryside, I rented (2) SUV (Nissan Qashqai type). But after reading the advice on this thread, I may reconsider and get (3) small cars instead.

I booked auto transmission for both cars - and WOW the upcharge from manual to automatic!!! We were concerned with having to drive a stick shift and navigating. Sounds like it is not an issue???

A few assorted comments..........

Brentford.

Is a mainly residential suburb of Greater London. Not touristy & a strange choice for a tourist, but there are a few places of interest like Kew Gardens or the Kew Bridge Steam Pumping Station (now an industrial museum)

As Bob's post it's handy to the M4 motorway, convenient for driving to Bath & Cardiff and tolerably convenient for driving to Stonehenge & the Cotswolds.

But although it's convenient for train travel into central London, its very inconvenient for train travel to the places you mention - those train journeys will involve two, mebbe three changes.

Consider instead Oxford or Reading, both of which have excellent rail links.

Oxford of course is a major tourist draw, and you can book a Cotswolds van tour from there. If you book a hotel in central Oxford you need one with guaranteed parking or return the car to the depot at the end of your day.

Reading is a rather mundane mainly residential town & not touristy. But it's popular with London commuters because of its excellent rail links. It's also likely to be cheaper than Oxford. It's adjacent the M4 and has other good road links.

Windsor is ideal if you have a car, but it's expensive and again you need guaranteed parking. Like Brentford it's convenient for train travel into London but not to elsewhere, though Bath only needs one change of train.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

You've mentioned Windsor, Stonehenge, Bath, Cardiff and the Cotswolds.

You won't fit them all into 2 days, you'll have to pick & choose.

Windsor in half-a-day is OK.

Stonehenge needs about 90 minutes on-site

So those two could be in one day by car.

Bath is worth a full day but plenty of folk are happy with a half-day plus travel time.

So you could combine Bath with Stonehenge or Windsor.

The Cotswolds are worth a full day, though I guess you could drive to Bath for the morning & wend your way back thro the Cotswolds.

Cardiff is quite a long way. Any particular reason for including it?

Your revised driving itinerary makes some sense, tho you'd have little or no time to see Bath on Day 1, so it'd have to be the morning of Day 2 at the expense of Cardiff . Or skip Stonehenge on Day 1..

Driving on the left is pretty easy. Your car will be right-hand drive, much of your driving will be on divided highway, and there'll mainly be plenty of traffic so it's just follow the guy in front.

The times of risk are:

When you leave a parking spot or gas station, esp on the wrong side of the road - so leave yourself a note on the seat.

At turnings, most especially if you make a late manoeuvre - so if you spot your turn late, skip it & turn round further down the road.

More important to flip thru some of the driving laws in the UK, like:

- no turn-out on red. Red means red.

- no overtaking on the nearside. Keep to the left lane & only overtake on the right - same logic as on some US rural interstates.

- we're keen on taking up the correct lane, & don't baulk anyone when switching lanes.

- we have a lot of roundabouts (traffic islands). Same as the few in the US, you yield to traffic that's already on the roundabout.

- there are no four-way stops. At junctions one road will have priority.

- there are a lot of fixed speed cameras in the UK. If the traffic that's bombing along over the speed limit all slow down for no apparent reason, it'll be locals who know there's a camera.

Unless you specify automatic, most rental cars in the UK & Europe are shift-stick.

Rent as small a car as you'll fit in. Makes it easier on narrow roads & parking.

Hi JB - Brentford was selected because it came up on the various home rental sites. I have never heard of it before then. I will check out Reading.

Cardiff, Bath, Stonehenge: I have been to Bath before and thought my in laws will enjoy it. Cardiff - no particular reason for going to Cardiff. I saw that it was close to Bath and thought to add it as a stop. Stonehenge - no reason other than to see Stonehenge, which I am not even sure is worth the extra drive.

Windsor: We will visit the afternoon we arrive on the day we arrive in London.

Thanks everyone for the great advice so far!!!

Thanks so much for this post! Sounds like a FANTASTIC trip!!! My kind of trip. My in-laws were not up for driving around the UK for one month, hence the flights between London/Dublin, Shannon/Edinburgh and Edinburgh/London.

What size of car did you rent? Since there are 7 of us and that we are driving around the countryside, I rented (2) SUV (Nissan Qashqai type). But after reading the advice on this thread, I may reconsider and get (3) small cars instead.

I booked auto transmission for both cars - and WOW the upcharge from manual to automatic!!! We were concerned with having to drive a stick shift and navigating. Sounds like it is not an issue???

I would definitely rent 3 small cars. Some of the roads are narrow for us Americans and parking is so much easier...especially when making stops at small pubs and tourist attractions along the way. The upcharge for automatic is significant. DH said if you are comfortable with a stick shift it really isn’t much of an adjustment to driving one on the opposite side of the road.

I have notes on our trip if you have specific questions email me at wayfairers@gmail.com.

Look at Rock of Cashel south of Dublin...it was a fun stop along the way. Also the Dingle Peninsula north of Ring of Kerry was amazing and less touristy than Ring of Kerry. Are you going anywhere near the Isle of Skye...absolutely gorgeous.

We spent only one day in London because the other couple had been there several times and we will return to see it another time. We preferred to see other areas

2 cars or 3?

I'm guessing 3 will be more expensive, esp the add-ons.

Driving in convoy doesn't work well on our crowded roads, you'll find it slow & even then you'll lose each-other from time to time.

But small cars are easier to drive & to park, though that depends where you plan to go - roads to the places you've mentioned won't involve little narrow lanes, and whilst small gaps for parking are easier you'll need three spaces instead of two. And three cars give you the flexibility to go off to different places.

Don't drive into central London - roads get congested, navigation is difficult even with sat-nav, parking is difficult, time-consuming and expensive, London drivers take no prisoners - and your driver might end up a quivering nervous wreck

Automatic simplifies things for you at a time when you have driving on the left & different traffic laws to contend with. If it's a while since you drove shift-stick this probably isn't a good time to go back to it.

But if you're used to shift-stick the only problem is that for a while you'll be trying to change gear using the door-handle :D

I do have a question - I do not fully understand what you mean by clear US Customs and Immigration in Dublin? You mean I would not have to go through Customs again in US? In the US we have Global Entry, so clearing customs is pretty quick and easy.

It's a brilliant system - I've copied the wording from the Dublin airport website to help explain.

The US Preclearance (USCBP) facility at Terminal 2 in Dublin Airport is a purpose built facility that allows US bound passengers to undertake all US immigration, customs and agriculture inspections at Dublin Airport prior to departure.

Dublin Airport is one of only a handful of airports outside North America that offers a US Preclearance facility. The benefit is that having cleared USCBP, passengers arriving in the US are treated as domestic arrivals, allowing them to avoid immigration queues upon arrival and pick up their bags and go.

In addition, this benefits onward connecting passengers in the US who will have their baggage checked through to their final destination.

I do have a question - I do not fully understand what you mean by clear US Customs and Immigration in Dublin? You mean I would not have to go through Customs again in US? In the US we have Global Entry, so clearing customs is pretty quick and easy.

It's a brilliant system - I've copied the wording from the Dublin airport website to help explain.

The US Preclearance (USCBP) facility at Terminal 2 in Dublin Airport is a purpose built facility that allows US bound passengers to undertake all US immigration, customs and agriculture inspections at Dublin Airport prior to departure.

Dublin Airport is one of only a handful of airports outside North America that offers a US Preclearance facility. The benefit is that having cleared USCBP, passengers arriving in the US are treated as domestic arrivals, allowing them to avoid immigration queues upon arrival and pick up their bags and go.

In addition, this benefits onward connecting passengers in the US who will have their baggage checked through to their final destination.

That is brilliant! I need to research the countries that have that. Had I only known....

As Wayfairer mentioned some laneways can have substantial grass growing!

Another couple of thoughts.......

No matter how long or short you think it will take to get from 'A' to 'B', when in Ireland, double it! Getting somewhere quick is a dream, not a reality here.

Renting a GPS when renting a car is expensive. Check about buying a basic GPS from a store/supermarket in UK (make sure it has maps of Ireland!), or, check your cell phone provider about using data in Europe and use Google Maps. Alternatively, you can get 30day SIM only mobile plans that have data. As your first call is UK perhaps some of the UK posters could suggest a provider.

As Wayfairer mentioned some laneways can have substantial grass growing!

Another couple of thoughts.......

No matter how long or short you think it will take to get from 'A' to 'B', when in Ireland, double it! Getting somewhere quick is a dream, not a reality here.

Renting a GPS when renting a car is expensive. Check about buying a basic GPS from a store/supermarket in UK (make sure it has maps of Ireland!), or, check your cell phone provider about using data in Europe and use Google Maps. Alternatively, you can get 30day SIM only mobile plans that have data. As your first call is UK perhaps some of the UK posters could suggest a provider.

SIM only idea - assuming that your phone/s are not locked to a particular network it is possible to buy a UK SIM and some will offer the chance to buy just a 1 month package with no further commitment - GiffGaff.com is worth looking at as I see from their website that you can order the free SIM and they will send SIM's overseas ready to activate when you arrive in UK.

Another benefit is that all GiffGaff customers can call each other for free - could be useful if your party go their own way and wish to stay in touch.

There are other providers, but I don't have experience of them.

Ok - the other group said seeing London is not a priority for them.

Day 1: Fly into Heathrow. Rest.

Day 2: Drive to Bath and Stonehenge

Day 3: Windsor - any other recommendations?

Day 4: Fly to Dublin. Drive to Cashel

Day 5: Rock of Cashel, Blarney Stone, Blarney Castle. Arrive in Killarney

Day 6: Ring of Kerry

Day 7: Rest

Day 8: Drive to Cliff of Mohers

Day 9: Overnight in Shannon

We will fly out of Shannon to Edinburgh.

The original plan was to fly into Dublin and overnight there. However, it is pricey to stay in Dublin with 2 or 3 car rentals. I would love any feedback on whether it is doable to drive around Dublin for a few hours and then head out to Cashel overnight. Or should we stay in Dublin overnight?

TIA!

Just a quick heads-up.

If you're going to do both in one day (perfectly feasible, whether you then overnite in Bath or head back to London area) then do it in the reverse order, ie Stonehenge first, then Bath.

Stonehenge offers advance purchase of admission tickets, you choose your arrival time within a half-hour slot. If you're not there within your slot you risk delayed entry if Stonehenge is chock-a-block.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/

It's less-crowded and easier to gauge your arrival time if it's your first stop of the day.

Figure your timing, then book for a half hour or an hour later to allow for any travel delays. If you're not delayed en-route the prospects are that you'll have no problem going straight in earlier than your slot, but at worst you'll have a wait of half an hour or so until your slot. If you arrive later than your slot you might be in for a very long wait.

Stonehenge has its limitations, you might be enthralled for a couple of hours or you might be bored after an hour. Bath has lots of places to see & it's a more interesting place to take a break for a coffee or a beer or a spot of lunch so there's no such thing as "too long" in Bath,.

Ok - the other group said seeing London is not a priority for them.

Day 1: Fly into Heathrow. Rest.

Day 3: Windsor - any other recommendations?

Day 4: Fly to Dublin. Drive to Cashel

Day 5: Rock of Cashel, Blarney Stone, Blarney Castle. Arrive in Killarney

Day 6: Ring of Kerry

Day 7: Rest

Day 8: Drive to Cliff of Mohers

Day 9: Overnight in Shannon

We will fly out of Shannon to Edinburgh.

The original plan was to fly into Dublin and overnight there. However, it is pricey to stay in Dublin with 2 or 3 car rentals. I would love any feedback on whether it is doable to drive around Dublin for a few hours and then head out to Cashel overnight. Or should we stay in Dublin overnight?

TIA!

I would avoid using a car in Dublin as traffic is a nightmare and parking is difficult and expensive. Perhaps stay near the airport and use the HO-HO bus to get around the city. You could take a bus from the airport hotel into town to join the HO-HO. Another reason is that the M50 motorway is very close to the airport and this leads to the M7/M9 which goes to Cashel. There are not many places to stay close to Cashel, and as far as I know, not many places to eat.

Just a suggestion, have a look at something like this............

rent your cars at Dublin airport and drive along M50 to Mora's Red Cow hotel. (check with your rental company how they deal with the electronic toll on M50!). From here you can take the Luas (tram) to James' Street, which is close to Guiness Storehouse. You can pick up HO-HO bus at Guiness Storehouse to visit the other sights (sites!) in Dublin. Then take Luas back to hotel.

Next morning you are situated at the start of the road to Cashel and do not need to negotiate the city traffic.. About 90 minutes drive.

Just a quick heads-up.

If you're going to do both in one day (perfectly feasible, whether you then overnite in Bath or head back to London area) then do it in the reverse order, ie Stonehenge first, then Bath.

Stonehenge offers advance purchase of admission tickets, you choose your arrival time within a half-hour slot. If you're not there within your slot you risk delayed entry if Stonehenge is chock-a-block.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/

It's less-crowded and easier to gauge your arrival time if it's your first stop of the day.

Figure your timing, then book for a half hour or an hour later to allow for any travel delays. If you're not delayed en-route the prospects are that you'll have no problem going straight in earlier than your slot, but at worst you'll have a wait of half an hour or so until your slot. If you arrive later than your slot you might be in for a very long wait.

Stonehenge has its limitations, you might be enthralled for a couple of hours or you might be bored after an hour. Bath has lots of places to see & it's a more interesting place to take a break for a coffee or a beer or a spot of lunch so there's no such thing as "too long" in Bath,.

Thanks JB for the advice. I have already contacted 3 tour companies; and the quotes are less than train tickets!!! It makes sense for 7 people.

So, next question. I am looking into a home/apt rental. What area(s) should we look? We want to centrally located to Windsor and Heathrow. The tour companies will pick us up for the stonehenge and Bath trip.

Thanks again!!!

I would avoid using a car in Dublin as traffic is a nightmare and parking is difficult and expensive. Perhaps stay near the airport and use the HO-HO bus to get around the city. You could take a bus from the airport hotel into town to join the HO-HO. Another reason is that the M50 motorway is very close to the airport and this leads to the M7/M9 which goes to Cashel. There are not many places to stay close to Cashel, and as far as I know, not many places to eat.

Thanks VMax - this is the info I am looking for regarding driving in Dublin.

We booked a B&B in Cashel. I am considering cancelling it.

How long does it take to get from the airport hotel to Dublin?

Just a suggestion, have a look at something like this............

rent your cars at Dublin airport and drive along M50 to Mora's Red Cow hotel. (check with your rental company how they deal with the electronic toll on M50!). From here you can take the Luas (tram) to James' Street, which is close to Guiness Storehouse. You can pick up HO-HO bus at Guiness Storehouse to visit the other sights (sites!) in Dublin. Then take Luas back to hotel.

Next morning you are situated at the start of the road to Cashel and do not need to negotiate the city traffic.. About 90 minutes drive.

Is there a site I can go to see where all the tolls are along our route? We are driving Dublin-Cashel-Killarnay-Cliff of Mohars- Shannon.

Thanks JB for the advice. I have already contacted 3 tour companies; and the quotes are less than train tickets!!! It makes sense for 7 people.

So, next question. I am looking into a home/apt rental. What area(s) should we look? We want to centrally located to Windsor and Heathrow. The tour companies will pick us up for the stonehenge and Bath trip.

Thanks again!!!

JB - I found a B&B in West Drayton and various homes in Twickenham, Straines upon Thames, Slough. Would love to get your thoughts on the locations!

Day 1: Fly into Heathrow. Relax

Day 2: Private tour to Stonehenge and Bath

Day 3: Windsor Castle

Day 4: Mid morning flight to Dublin.

I am sill kicking myself on flying into Dublin instead of Cork. Originally those in the group wanted just a quick "look" in Dublin. But have since changed their minds when we read up more on driving in Dublin.