Blocked on Facebook

scrosser

If the Wind Surf, Wind Star and Wind Spirit were to sail all the time, most people would complain for being sick from the ship moving sideways and at an angle. WS have schedules to adhere to and believe me, all the sail ship are capable of moving with wind power only when weather cooperate.

Well, I wasn't asking about "will always sail". As someone who grew up sailing, I totally understand the issues of tacking and problems for people if the ship has a substantial heel angle. I asked which cruises would include SOME sailing, and the answer was, if I wanted to actually sail, WS was not the correct company. I thought I was asking a simple question - please tell me which trips will be the ones most likely to include sailing. Windstar said don't expect any sailing. I'd be curious as how long ago LvWindstar007 actually sailed with the company. Has it been since the ownership change?

I remember back in 2015, that we sailed from Barbados to St-Lucia and Vice-versa on the way back. Maybe the wind direction was right at the time. They feathered the prop also for a while. That was on the wind star.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks dandee2. That's sort of what I've been hearing from other Windstar guests - the ships did sail in the past, and I've also gotten a lot of comments about noticeable service level decline since the change in ownership.

A few years ago the apology would have been immediate, along with at least a shipboard credit or offer to reimburse the taxi fare (relating to the WS GSM answering my phone and cancelling the delivery of my lost luggage, which I later retrieved myself by going to the airport against WS instructions, because yes, my luggage was there even though WS insisted they had "verified" that the luggage was not at the airport (after the GSM had cancelled the delivery)). My email to guestrelations after the cruise was ignored. After two months, and questioning whether Windstar was no longer a reliable company, I sent the email again, only to be told that Mr. Delaney had reviewed and the assistance offered by the WS staff was appropriate (?? cancelling the delivery and doing nothing to assist me was "appropriate" ??) They have never disputed the facts, so I posted here and on their Facebook page. The post was deleted and I was blocked from posting on their page, but suddenly, I get an offer of a "goodwill gesture" to reimburse the taxi fare NOW, with no reference to the two earlier emails. Well, other Windstar guests told me I'd get a response if I posted to Facebook and Cruise Critic - they were right. Unfortunately, what I wanted was an apology and recognition of the mistake. Since that is not within WS's capacity, I have refused the goodwill gesture. To me, it seems like 4 months after the fact, they just want to buy me off. Why is it so hard to say "we screwed up. We are sorry. Please let us reimburse you for the taxi fare." Why didn't that happen during the August cruise? Why did it take airing the situation here and on their Facebook page (until they deleted the post) before WS thought that they should offer a "goodwill gesture". Sorry, in my book, that just shows a total lack of integrity. It's possible to have a wonderful trip with Windstar (but it probably won't include any actual sailing on the masted ships), but if there is a problem - get ready to spend hours trying to get any sort of response.

And I just want to clarify - I travel a lot, and have run into WS guests on many trips, not just during my WS cruises.

Also, when I say "decline in service level" I am referring to management and corporate; not the wonderful Indonesian staff who work very hard to meet the guest's needs.

I have been sailing Windstar since 1988 in French Polynesia, the Med and the Caribbean, and under three (four?) owners.

I haven't noticed an increase or a decrease in time under sail from years ago to now (my last cruise was June 2017), and it really hasn't varied much by location. I've been on all the sailing ships, including the Wind Song.

It's not a big deal to me what makes the ship move.

If it is for you, don't sail Windstar.

As to the luggage problem, maybe it's time to move on. Most trips have a hiccup or two. This was fairly minor in the scheme of things.

I have been sailing Windstar since 1988 in French Polynesia, the Med and the Caribbean, and under three (four?) owners.

I haven't noticed an increase or a decrease in time under sail from years ago to now (my last cruise was June 2017), and it really hasn't varied much by location. I've been on all the sailing ships, including the Wind Song.

It's not a big deal to me what makes the ship move.

If it is for you, don't sail Windstar.

As to the luggage problem, maybe it's time to move on. Most trips have a hiccup or two. This was fairly minor in the scheme of things.

The thought of the Windsurf tacking made me laugh out loud. My worst day on a Windstar cruise was far better than my best day at home. It IS a cruise, not a regatta and not the America's Cup. Agree, sometimes it's "get over it" and move on. Seriously, late arriving luggage is totally a 1st world problem. Was thinking that there are approximately 1000 people week on Windstar ships. Most I've been on have 50 to 70 percent repeat cruisers like us. Obviously not this horrible company it is being portrayed to be or they would have been long gone. Looking forward to Barbados in January and Panama Canal in March. Blessed!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The ships still sail. I have been on 20 since 1999. If I recall they have sailed on all the trips with the exception of the time I was on the Breeze ( motor) and last May Venice to Rome, Leaving Venice no sailing but the sails up a incredibly beautiful red sunset, sails with the back ground of Venice. Very Windy Med. Huge winds coming out of Kotor. We needed a tug.

If the sails are up they aid the motors as well. What I do know WS is very safety orientated. Never second guess a captain on any ship. That was what you were doing scrosser. If you want to sail bare boat.

One of the truly great things when WS sails is that people are so civilized they whisper. The silence of the Sea is extraordinary. You are angry with WS due to your luggage and the sailing. I am sorry you could not appreciate the beauty. I wish you better cruising because it is a nice way to travel and relax. Happy Sailing what diver ship you try.

A minor thing...the Windstar sail ships do not heel with the sails up. They ballast the appropriate side tanks so that they stay roughly level while under sail. They are flat bottomed ships much like the LST I used to drive years ago, essentially no keel. They do have active stabilizers which help with roll. FWIW, Jack in Reno

A minor thing...the Windstar sail ships do not heel with the sails up. They ballast the appropriate side tanks so that they stay roughly level while under sail. They are flat bottomed ships much like the LST I used to drive years ago, essentially no keel. They do have active stabilizers which help with roll. FWIW, Jack in Reno

Doesn't look flat bottom to me: http://blog.windstarcruises.com/2017/05/wind-spirit-soars-to-new-heights-with-major-dry-dock-refresh/

According to the builder, it is definitively underriged. But it does heel with the sails up - Computer release sails when over 8 degrees - which is the treshhold ordinary passengers panic angle (Wind Star, The Building of a Sailship, Joseph Novitski, Macmillan Books). Wind Star did attain 12.6 kts during sea trial under sail alone (but popped some rivet in one of her sail)

https://ellewatson94.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/111516-dry-dock-cadiz-236.jpg?w=232&h=415

And a French media story about the launch of the Wind Star back in 1985.:

I have no personal experience with the WS masted ships sailing, but I was told by the staff on one of the ships that one reason they don't sail is because some passengers can't handle the angle. I must defer to those of you who seem to have a lot of experience in this area. I was a sucker for the advertising about "iconic sailing", not understanding that "sailing" + ship with masts and sails does not actually equal a cruise that will include some "sailing". Still wonder why they couldn't have said "best opportunity to actually sail would be on the repositioning cruises".

Sailing only on repositioning not true. I have been on a WS cruise 20 times, 19 on the sailing ships. Of those 19 times, 3 trans oceans we sailed some without the motors, 1 cruise in Europe we did not due to wind conditions, 15 cruises Caribbean, Costa Rica, Europe ( north and south ) we sailed some with out motors. The sails were hoisted most of the time because the sails assist the motors and add to stability. Please get your facts straight even though you do not like the company. Wherever you cruise and in whatever ship I only wish you good cruising because honestly to be able to do this we are fortunate.

... Still wonder why they couldn't have said "best opportunity to actually sail would be on the repositioning cruises".

Probably because people like you who traveled on a cruise that wasn’t able to “sail” would waste time complaining on Facebook and message boards about how terrible the cruise line was.

We’ve been on the sailing yachts seven times now and have had time under sail on all, both TA and elsewhere.

Sorry Strenz. It just seemed like that was the "best opportunity" based on what others had posted. I'm glad you've been able to sail so often. I was asking for help from WS in choosing a cruise that would likely include sailing. Wish they had responded with "book the cruise Strenz is on" :-)

Pudgesmom - hmmm. Lots of assumptions there. You might want to read the whole thread before assuming that I began the thread because my cruise didn't include sailing.

I think we're all done with it though! Try to have a happy holiday and move on. Find a cruise line that you love and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I really hate to jump into this “discussion” but all of the windsurf cruises I have been on (3) have used the sails at some point to push the ship. On the TA we moved at least a couple of days almost exclusively on the sails. Its easy to know when - the sails are deployed and you can go up to the bridge and see for yourself if the ship is using the sails and/or the engines. Personally I could not tell the difference except for the sails being deployed. It was a nice ride either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry Strenz. It just seemed like that was the "best opportunity" based on what others had posted. I'm glad you've been able to sail so often. I was asking for help from WS in choosing a cruise that would likely include sailing. Wish they had responded with "book the cruise Strenz is on" :-)

If you really are/were a sailor then you would know that the answer to just about every question regarding sailing is "it depends". It depends on how hard the wind blows. It depends on what direction then wind blows.

Yes, I grew up sailing. I'm also familiar with the concept of prevailing winds. Apparently, I've just managed to be very unlucky in never having the wind conducive to sailing on my trips, since everyone else has managed to have at least a few hours of sailing on their cruises. I now thoroughly understand that "sailing" is "cruising", and does not imply using wind for propulsion.

As I've noted, Windstar has removed the Facebook block, and WS offered a "goodwill gesture". The story is over, the details are here. Best wishes to everyone, and thank you for your time.