Celebrity says St. Maarten not ready...

JustAGirl79

We are also on the Grandeur. Tours through RCCL are a bit limited. I do know the America’s Cup Experience is closed until January, and the tall ship Mercedes is not operating yet. Will probably be a light shopping and beach day, end with a bar stop at Phillipsburgh. Hopefully the water taxi between town and the cruise piers is running. (I haven’t checked)

We just got switched to St Maarten over Tortola for our Disney cruise arriving on January 16th. It’s interesting that we’ve traded one rough island for another.

They did the same for our Disney Cruise the week after yours. I thought it was interesting as well.

They did the same for our Disney Cruise the week after yours. I thought it was interesting as well.

RCI switched us from the undamaged St. Kitts to St. Thomas. Since St. Thomas was never on our it, I have to assume there is a very big financial incentive for RCI. They haven't answered our message.

RCI switched us from the undamaged St. Kitts to St. Thomas. Since St. Thomas was never on our it' date=' I have to assume there is a very big financial incentive for RCI. They haven't answered our message.[/quote']

If you have San Juan PR and St Maarten as ports I think that switching St. Thomas out for St Kitts makes sense. The 3 islands other than St Kitts were hit hard by hurricanes this year.

Our HAL cruise is still planning a stop in St. Maarten in early January. Apparently a lot of people have cancelled out on the cruises. It's hard to know what's best for the people hurt by the hurricanes, but we're hoping our tourist dollars will help!

Our HAL cruise is still planning a stop in St. Maarten in early January. Apparently a lot of people have cancelled out on the cruises. It's hard to know what's best for the people hurt by the hurricanes, but we're hoping our tourist dollars will help!

I am thinking the same as you. Everything that I have read from the people on the island that we know and from reading many other sites makes me believe that going and spending money is what is needed now. There are limited places to stay and limited flights and cruiseships calling so it's not like the island will be close to pre Irma visitors.

I too am concerned about St. Martin/ Maarten. Currently our ship, Allure of the Seas, is scheduled to port there on March 8th with 4 other ships. Total tourist count will be approx. 17,000. Even when the island was at full running, this is a very busy and crowded tourist day. For them to have this many people there on a single day could be very difficult.

I too am concerned about St. Martin/ Maarten. Currently our ship, Allure of the Seas, is scheduled to port there on March 8th with 4 other ships. Total tourist count will be approx. 17,000. Even when the island was at full running, this is a very busy and crowded tourist day. For them to have this many people there on a single day could be very difficult.

Don’t forget though that the multiple timeshares and resorts are not up and running and they are generally at or near full capacity at that time of year. There are no planes from Canada and limited ones from the US until the end of April at least. Cruisers tend to forget or perhaps are unaware just how many “stay” vacationers St. Maarten has had in the past.

I think that giving the island the chance to prove they can handle a ship in and work up from there makes sense.

Mostly I am hearing positive things, especially from the Dutch side of the island. The Med school is apparently due back in the middle of January. The Heineken Regatta is scheduled for late feb-early March. Slowly things are improving. They had a terrible blow from Mother Nature but they are “St. Maarten strong” and they are picking up the pieces and moving forward.

It’s probably a good time to book a boat tour. I have a feeling that those with a plan will be the ones coming back reporting that they enjoyed their day on St. Maarten. It kind of reminds me of visiting Samana DR back in 2009. We planned a great day and thoroughly enjoyed our day because my research had suggested that we do just that. We heard such grumbling on the ship after that port stop from those that decided to wing it. It’s not a surprise that St. Maarten will not be the same as in recent years, adjust and I bet that you will not only have an enjoyable day but you may even feel good knowing that you contributed to the rebuild in a small way.

Don’t forget though that the multiple timeshares and resorts are not up and running and they are generally at or near full capacity at that time of year. There are no planes from Canada and limited ones from the US until the end of April at least. Cruisers tend to forget or perhaps are unaware just how many “stay” vacationers St. Maarten has had in the past.

I think that giving the island the chance to prove they can handle a ship in and work up from there makes sense.

quote]

Great point - many of the thousands who are usually staying on the island will not be there - making whatever facilities that are available essentially fully devoted to cruise passengers.

There are some reports of some restaurants being open and beaches still accessible. Hopefully some of those cruisers now returning from first visits will report back on these threads.

We are looking forward to our late January port call (a poor substitute for our usual stay on island).

quote]

Great point - many of the thousands who are usually staying on the island will not be there - making whatever facilities that are available essentially fully devoted to cruise passengers.

There are some reports of some restaurants being open and beaches still accessible. Hopefully some of those cruisers now returning from first visits will report back on these threads.

We are looking forward to our late January port call (a poor substitute for our usual stay on island).

I just heard that Le String on Orient beach is planning to open a temporary place in January. I know that Orient is not where you usually go but I thought that I would pass on this news.

Mostly I am hearing positive things, especially from the Dutch side of the island. The Med school is apparently due back in the middle of January. The Heineken Regatta is scheduled for late feb-early March. Slowly things are improving. They had a terrible blow from Mother Nature but they are “St. Maarten strong” and they are picking up the pieces and moving forward.

It’s probably a good time to book a boat tour. I have a feeling that those with a plan will be the ones coming back reporting that they enjoyed their day on St. Maarten. It kind of reminds me of visiting Samana DR back in 2009. We planned a great day and thoroughly enjoyed our day because my research had suggested that we do just that. We heard such grumbling on the ship after that port stop from those that decided to wing it. It’s not a surprise that St. Maarten will not be the same as in recent years, adjust and I bet that you will not only have an enjoyable day but you may even feel good knowing that you contributed to the rebuild in a small way.

You hit this on the head. They need the chance to build themselves back up, and with the lack of land tourists visiting, they will have extra room to accommodate more. And, you're also correct on saying that St.Maarten will not be an island where you could just "wing" it for a while, you will need a set plan. I hope to make it back sometime soon, I was there 2 weeks before the hurricane. It has always been my favorite, since the first time I went. When I went in August (9 days on land), I had the option between Bermuda, Curacao and St.Maarten, with St.Maarten being the only one I had been to on that list. I don't know why, but for some reason I couldn't turn a trip to SXM down. I am so glad I did that (I always was, but even more so since the storm), because I got to see St.Maarten one last time the way I always remembered it. However, I hope to go back, and see how the island bounced back, and see just how those resilient people overcame this...

We are sailing the Oasis and planning to be in St Maarten on January 3. I understand a few ship excursions have been cancelled (likely because the operators are not ready) but I have not heard anything about RCCL changing/cancelling the stop. The cruise only has three stops scheduled, St Maarten, San Juan and Labadee. It will be interesting to see what the actual itinerary will be.

M

We will be on Azamara Quest 12/22/17-1/4/18. We were notified that there is a change from St. Barts to St. Maarten on December 26th. Reading the previous posts on this thread makes me wonder!

I have followed their rebuild and know the island well. The Dutch port area appears to be operational. We do not plan to travel to the French side.

We were also changed from Tortola to St. Thomas on 12/31/17.

Should be interesting and hoping all islands can rebuild after such devastating storms this past hurricane season.

We were also scheduled to visit Dominica but they need time given the damage to the island.

We live in South Florida so have some small idea ( and there is no comparison) to what these islands faced between Irma and Maria.

I hope for future hurricane seasons we do not see these mega Category 4-5 storms that flatten everything in their path.

I hope in some small way we can contribute our tours/shopping etc. to help the islands begin to generate revenue that has been lacking since these storms hit.

I am in awe of the strength and resilence of those living in these beautiful islands.

We will be on Azamara Quest 12/22/17-1/4/18. We were notified that there is a change from St. Barts to St. Maarten on December 26th. Reading the previous posts on this thread makes me wonder!

I have followed their rebuild and know the island well. The Dutch port area appears to be operational. We do not plan to travel to the French side.

We were also changed from Tortola to St. Thomas on 12/31/17.

Should be interesting and hoping all islands can rebuild after such devastating storms this past hurricane season.

We were also scheduled to visit Dominica but they need time given the damage to the island.

We live in South Florida so have some small idea ( and there is no comparison) to what these islands faced between Irma and Maria.

I hope for future hurricane seasons we do not see these mega Category 4-5 storms that flatten everything in their path.

I hope in some small way we can contribute our tours/shopping etc. to help the islands begin to generate revenue that has been lacking since these storms hit.

I am in awe of the strength and resilence of those living in these beautiful islands.

I'm a little concerned hearing that there are multiple ships in st maarten on the 25 and 26th of December. I would suggest booking a boat trip or something. There is always less open on these days and less taxis.I hope that the island can handle the amount of tourists that are expected on these days during the holidays.

I'm a little concerned hearing that there are multiple ships in st maarten on the 25 and 26th of December. I would suggest booking a boat trip or something. There is always less open on these days and less taxis.I hope that the island can handle the amount of tourists that are expected on these days during the holidays.

We will be visiting next week and already reserved a boat tour. My gut tells me despite the holiday (St. Maarten is religious with much faith) they will ask for Heaven's forgiveness and open up as many stores as possible on these two days n order to strike a match to their lively hood tourism. My faith says that they WILL be forgiven. They have suffered enough and need the tourist dollars.

We will be visiting next week and already reserved a boat tour. My gut tells me despite the holiday (St. Maarten is religious with much faith) they will ask for Heaven's forgiveness and open up as many stores as possible on these two days n order to strike a match to their lively hood tourism. My faith says that they WILL be forgiven. They have suffered enough and need the tourist dollars.

I don't know of a holiday next week. What holiday is that?

Only two ships on the 25th (Independence of the Seas and Marella Celebration - 6200 passengers total) and only one ship on the 26th (Jewel of the Seas - 3360 passengers total), so it should not be too bad.

Those will be the first stops since 19 Dec - a 5 day hiatus - so the folks in St Maarten should be glad to see those ships, even if it is on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Only two ships on the 25th (Independence of the Seas and Marella Celebration - 6200 passengers total) and only one ship on the 26th (Jewel of the Seas - 3360 passengers total), so it should not be too bad.

Those will be the first stops since 19 Dec - a 5 day hiatus - so the folks in St Maarten should be glad to see those ships, even if it is on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Schedule is changed for us on Grandeur of the Seas and I believe for NCL Gem. We are going to St Maarten on 26th rather than on 29th.

In today (RCL Grandeur of the Seas). Only ship in port. Sufficient number of shops open and prices good. I wish I knew my liquor prices better, seems to be better than I expected.

Had a nice lunch at Antoine's on the beach (turn left off water taxi). They were closed 3 months. Worth stopping here for lunch.

Plenty of storm damage but they are rebuilding. I would not worry about coming here on a cruise.

Tours were limited. More coming back in January.

princess is still scheduled jan 11 on st maarten. as this was a last minute booking for me, i've done no research on the island. if anyone goes in the next 3 weeks id love to hear about some free/cheap/close to port/easy things to do. ive heard maho beach is gone so cannot really sit there and watch the planes plus if the cruise port site i look at is right, there are 19K people in town that day and would be full anyway.

Port of st maarten has 2 ships on the 25th and 3 on the 26th and 2 of the 3 are RCCL ships and the other is Azamara Quest. I personally think that's setting the island up for failure as these are public holidays but I hope that I am wrong.