Baltimore - Do they go down the Chesapeake Bay

Gma&Gpa

I've looked and looked and it seems like the ships go all the way down the Chesapeake Bay. Is that the case? Do they really go all that way - and then out to the ocean by Virginia Beach? If that is the case, how long does it take to get out there? Or maybe there's another waterway that I'm just not finding?

I've looked and looked and it seems like the ships go all the way down the Chesapeake Bay. Is that the case? Do they really go all that way - and then out to the ocean by Virginia Beach? If that is the case, how long does it take to get out there? Or maybe there's another waterway that I'm just not finding?

All the way down the bay then out to the ocean. It usually takes about 10 hours or so to reach open water.

All the way down the bay then out to the ocean. It usually takes about 10 hours or so to reach open water.

Correct. If the ship departs on time it will usually be passing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel between 11:30pm and midnight and out past Va. Beach into the open ocean 30-40 minutes later.

We did this cruise 2 years ago and are doing it again this summer. About 2 hour out of port you'll sail under the Route 50 Bay Bridge; about 8-9 hours out you sail through the Chesapeake Channel of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Then out into the Atlantic. We really enjoyed sailing down the bay.

Edited by nybumpkin

There is a canal that runs from the upper Chesapeake to Delaware bay that would be a little shorter in distance to ports in New England/canada... The problem is that the maximum height above the water line allowed is only 132 feet.

The cruise down the Bay takes about 8 hours or so, and is actually pretty scenic.

I was plesently surprised on board the Enchantment of Seas open her shops and casio at 6:30pm while we were still in the Bay!

Aloha,

John

Wow - thanks for those answers. We are looking at booking for 2013 - and decided to try Baltimore - as it's only a little over 3 hours from home. Sounds interesting to be going down through the bay for so long.

So great to hear about the length of cruising time in the bay! I didn't even think it would take that long...now I wish the ship didn't arrive back so early on the last day so I could see it again! Thanks for the post! :)

• 2 years later...
So great to hear about the length of cruising time in the bay! I didn't even think it would take that long...now I wish the ship didn't arrive back so early on the last day so I could see it again! Thanks for the post! :)

I found this response elsewhere on CC - Correct. If the ship departs on time it will usually be passing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel between 11:30pm and midnight and out past Va. Beach into the open ocean 30-40 minutes later.

• 3 weeks later...