Galapagos Wet Suit

JCBD12

We are taking a Galapagos cruise. The vendor supplies snorkeling equipment, but surprisingly, not wet suits. We have our own but do not want to be burdened with them for the 2 weeks travel preceding the Galapagos. Has anyone dealt with this? Would shipping our suits to the cruise vendor work? Or would the possible customs issues make it risky that we'd ever see our suits again? How about renting in the Galapagos? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this will be of the slightest value to you, but I thought I would reply since nobody else has. Unless you are determined to wear wet suits while snorkeling, I would not bother to take them. On our Galapagos cruise I snorkeled every day possible for as long as possible. I never wore a wet suit. In most locations the water was very comfortable- not "Caribbean-toasty" but definitely comfortable. Only once was I genuinely cold, and that was in a rocky, not-great location where I was the only one in the water. Unless this is a major issue for you, I would not worry about it.

By the way, be prepared for some absolutely great snorkeling experiences. A few: playing with the sea lions, massive schools of anchovies that part as you pass through, the "sleeping" sharks, and swimming with marine iguanas. Enjoy your trip!

We were there in July. Another experience I'll never forget: suddenly hearing a bull sea lion barking at me underwater! He thought I was getting too close to his women, I guess. They weren't my type, anyway.

Best of luck on your cruise. You will love it. We leave in the morning for an Orient cruise, so over and out.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back (so a late September, early October trip). The naturalists called the water "refreshing" I called it "freaking freezing". I was very glad to have my 3mm full wetsuit. Our ship provided shorties which most people said were okay ("after a few minutes you can't feel your legs anyway").

Most naturalists wore wetsuits even, just a few did not.

I'd deal with the hassle of bringing one if you are going this time of year.

• 7 months later...
We are taking a Galapagos cruise. The vendor supplies snorkeling equipment, but surprisingly, not wet suits. We have our own but do not want to be burdened with them for the 2 weeks travel preceding the Galapagos. Has anyone dealt with this? Would shipping our suits to the cruise vendor work? Or would the possible customs issues make it risky that we'd ever see our suits again? How about renting in the Galapagos? Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you have been on your cruise by now, but we were there Ap. 2015 and the water was 87 degrees and quite comfortable for swimming without wet suits.