Watch your cards!

Elusive_Cruiser

We’re normally pretty cautious with our credit and debit cards when we travel. We just got home from 3 weeks in Florida/cruising and have managed to have my visa card and my DHs debit card compromised on this past trip 

Why? Because we were lazy!

While in Cozumel, we decided to rent some scooters for the day. I usually preplan EVERYTHING, but this trip we were throwing caution to the wind!! (yeah, NEVER do that). We walked off the ship with some cash, visa card and a debit card. We did something we’ve never done before.... go up to a local vendor, with no reservation, and rent scooters. He didn’t take Visa and it turns out, I had $1 less than I needed to do the rental. Buddy says to other buddy “take these kind people to ATM”. Off I go. Used my DHs debit card in ATM, a couple of times, and it just didn’t want to work. Shrugged it off (NEVER do that!) and convinced operator to send us off, $1 short, with our scooters. That was the $750 mistake!

Once we got back from our scooter adventure, we purchased a couple of hats, using my visa, as we no longer had any cash on us.

Of note: Both vendors were right at the port.

When we got back to Fort Lauderdale, I used my visa to check us into the hotel (and it worked) and an hour later, I received the call from Visa security that my card was being used, in Boca Raton, and had just been declined due to inaccurate PIN. A number of purchases had already been made. Card cancelled immediately. Thankfully, we had my DHs card to get us through to the end of our trip.

Today (four days after returning home), I log into my banking site and notice multiple withdrawals done today, at banking machines. One, for $100, a quick call confirmed, was my DH. Then there were two others, for odd amounts...520.64 and 263.54. On the phone to the bank quickly confirmed these withdrawals were being done in Florida (hence the odd $ amounts – mine is a Canadian account). They immediately cancelled both our debit cards. Thankfully, we are protected from fraud so will get all this $ back.

We’re positive where my DHs debit card was compromised, as it was only ever used once on this trip and the scammers had the PIN. We’re not certain where my visa got hit, as they did not have the PIN.

Anyway, just wanted to share our experience. It’s easy to get complacent, but very important that we never do and that we stay diligent. Fortunately, we have simply been inconvenienced.

Safe travels everyone!

We made the mistake of using our ATM card at a machine in a convenience store in Mexico and it was cloned and we had a bunch of withdrawals in St Petersburg, Russia the same time we were in Mexico. Needless to say we canceled the card.

Since then we only use our ATM card in machines in banks and have had no further problems.

Edited by Viv0828

We made the mistake of using our ATM card at a machine in a convenience store in Mexico and it was cloned and we had a bunch of withdrawals in St Petersburg, Russia the same time we were in Mexico. Needless to say we canceled the card.

Since then we only use our ATM card in machines in banks and have had no further problems.

Hope you had the same card protection we have and were not out of pocket.

We NEVER use debit cards when traveling, unless we are using them at a bank ATM location. (We NEVER use those stand-alone ATMs in stores, restaurants, etc - even at home.)

We always use credit cards, which are all protected against fraud.

Even though our debit cards also have the same protection, it is linked to our bank accounts - and that alone is reason NOT to use them when traveling.

When we travel, we call the companies for the credit cards we will be using, and tell them our travel plans, so they know which days we will be in which countries/locations. So if they get a charge from St. Thomas 3 days after we were supposed to leave there, they will try and contact us, and if they can't contact us, they will cancel the card. We always travel with two credit cards for just that reason.

We NEVER use debit cards when traveling, unless we are using them at a bank ATM location. (We NEVER use those stand-alone ATMs in stores, restaurants, etc - even at home.)

We always use credit cards, which are all protected against fraud.

Even though our debit cards also have the same protection, it is linked to our bank accounts - and that alone is reason NOT to use them when traveling.

When we travel, we call the companies for the credit cards we will be using, and tell them our travel plans, so they know which days we will be in which countries/locations. So if they get a charge from St. Thomas 3 days after we were supposed to leave there, they will try and contact us, and if they can't contact us, they will cancel the card. We always travel with two credit cards for just that reason.

What do you do when you need cash?

In Miami last year after a nice lunch we paid the the bill,

When the receipt cam back to sign I did noticed the waiter

Slipping the Credit Card into his apron and going into

The back of the Restaurant, I really couldn't believe this,

Cancelled the card immediately, seems it was cloned

As when I got home the fraud dept of my Card company called

seems over 3 days 25 transactions all for just less than

$100 were attempted to put through on the card

Edited by swigso

My bank advised me to open a separate travel checking account that is not tied to my other accounts. When I travel overseas and want to make sure I have extra cash if needed I'll put a certain amount in that account that I can access if needed.

Moral of story is debit card usage = no.

I work for bank and never understand why one exposes themselves to the risk.

I agree - call me old fashioned but I do not understand the draw of a debit card and I have never used one. A debit card is directly linked to your account - I had a niece once working in Chicago and her account got cleaned out when she used a ATM with a fake reader on it.

My credit card was recently part of a Travel Agent hack (they were unsuccessful in using it as my billing address had changed) but you are never trying to get your money back - just disputing charges.

Moral of story is debit card usage = no.

I work for bank and never understand why one exposes themselves to the risk.

Someone who works for a bank should know that customers can get a debit card for a separate account where they expose themselves to no risk at all.

That is what we and others we know do.

We maintain a low balance travel account in addition to our regular bank accounts.

Before a trip, we transfer the amount of cash we anticipate we will need for the trip into that account, so we have it available for cash withdrawals at ATMs along the way as needed.

This way we never have to worry about carrying around large amounts of cash that may be lost or stolen.

Although our debit cards have never been compromised, we have no need for concern because even if someone were to wipe out the entire balance of that small account completely, we would lose nothing and our "real" bank accounts would not be affected at all.

Additionally, for those of us who are Americans it looks like it is only a matter of time before most banks and credit card companies in the USA will also be issuing the safer chip and pin cards that are already widely used in Europe and are already available at some places in the USA.

Edited by varoo

My bank advised me to open a separate travel checking account that is not tied to my other accounts. When I travel overseas and want to make sure I have extra cash if needed I'll put a certain amount in that account that I can access if needed.

That's what I did for a recent European cruise. I had a low balance that I was willing to lose if compromised without endangering my other real checking accounts.

Although I didn't use the debit card, I had it as a cash back up, with fair exchange rate, if needed. I can't ever recall having a debit card before that trip since I've always declined a bank issuing me one.

I agree with blindrid though. Usage=no.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

For us in the UK, the Post Office offer a travel card. I top that up with what cash I think I might need for the holiday. It's them used like a debit card with chip and pin or at an ATM. If I want to put more money on it during the holiday, just need access to the Internet and do a bank transfer.

As for cruising, we tend to only use cash off the ship. Am I right in the thinking there's a way of getting extra cash on board? (ATM / guest relations?)

Someone who works for a bank should know that customers can get a debit card for a separate account where they expose themselves to no risk at all.

We maintain a low balance travel account in addition to our regular bank accounts.

Before a trip, we transfer the amount of cash we anticipate we will need for the trip into that account, so we have it available for cash withdrawals at ATMs along the way as needed.

This way we never have to worry about carrying around large amounts of cash that may be lost or stolen.

Although our debit cards have never been compromised, we have no need for concern because even if someone were to wipe out the entire balance of that small account completely, we would lose nothing and our "real" bank accounts would not be affected at all.

Additionally, for those of us who are Americans it looks like it is only a matter of time before most banks and credit card companies in the USA will also be issuing the safer chip and pin cards that are already widely used in Europe and are already available at some places in the USA.

As many of you will be staying on over our side of the pond, a Brits view follows:

While I agree that here in Europe the chip and pin cards are safer, we still have problems with scammers. Like a previous poster we try not to use an ATM in the street. Look for a bank with one in the lobby. Debit cards are used much more frequently because it is safe and easy to make a small purchase in a store and ask for "cash back". There is usually a limit of £50. It is normally supermarkets and larger stores that offer this service. For those of you renting cars, beware of petrol stations, a tv documentary recently showed how cards were being cloned by gangs of criminals. It happened to us. Try to pay cash for fuel. When paying by card in a restaurant there is no need to let your card out of your sight. The waiter should bring the card machine to the table and you enter your pin number yourself. If they want to take the card, say no, or follow them to the desk. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I travel on business a lot. We often are in several countries so need access to a range of currencies. So we have to use cards and have them attached to reasonable limits.

I do use a debit card, but always at a Bank ATM. You can actually check for skimming devices on a street facing machine. Next time you go to an ATM look at and feel the card insert area on the machine. There will be a straight "entrance" for your card. A machine that is skimming will be ridged- Google for pics for more info

Never let your credit card go away from your hands. We are pleased our banks saw sense to move to chip and pin only cards some years ago. When we have a bill to pay in a restaurant, we say "this needs a pin". 99% of the time they know to get a hand held terminal and bring it to the table. If they do not have a hand held terminal we get up and go to their till and if they say no we take we say we no pay then.... Somehow that always works!

The scam patterns are standard these days - low value amounts online first ( sadly often to Oxfam or another charity) often odd pence amounts they then leave it two days and if the card still works for a lower amount on day three they go for the big one.

My advice is

Always choose your own ATM, never ask anyone else where to go

Use debit cards for cash only

If you haven't got a chip and pin card get one, your bank is letting you down if they don't offer them. They dont remove all risk (ie being cloned as a result of an online transaction and insecure payment site) but they do help massively

Your card can be compromised any place including at the bank your money is in. My wife's debit card was hacked when she withdrew money from our checking account at the branch in our home town. Apparently someone installed a card reader in the ATM. The best thing you can do is to set up alerts for withdrawals that can be text or emailed to your mobile phone. Texts are better because they come through immediately. Set the alert for a low dollar amount because they usually try to make small purchases first to see if the card works. The alerts can be set up for credit cards or debit cards.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Your card can be compromised any place including at the bank your money is in. My wife's debit card was hacked when she withdrew money from our checking account at the branch in our home town. Apparently someone installed a card reader in the ATM. The best thing you can do is to set up alerts for withdrawals that can be text or emailed to your mobile phone. Texts are better because they come through immediately. Set the alert for a low dollar amount because they usually try to make small purchases first to see if the card works. The alerts can be set up for credit cards or debit cards.

Was the ATM your wife used INSIDE the bank?. I would have thought it would be quite difficult to install a card reader in full view of the bank staff. If it was outside then it makes little difference if it is your own bank or not. Those outside machines are fair game and you can't trust any of them.

Was the ATM your wife used INSIDE the bank?. I would have thought it would be quite difficult to install a card reader in full view of the bank staff. If it was outside then it makes little difference if it is your own bank or not. Those outside machines are fair game and you can't trust any of them.

Yes it was. It's a busy branch with a few ATM machines in the lobby. We both received an alert on our phone for $18 and change for a charge we knew we didn't make. My wife called the bank immediately and the person she spoke to told her that they had several calls and all of the victims made withdrawals at that machine. The bank told her that the reader was installed in two of the 6 ATM s at that branch. The bank refunded our money immediately. Also the withdrawal was made first thing in the morning during banking hours.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Yes it was. It's a busy branch with a few ATM machines in the lobby. We both received an alert on our phone for $18 and change for a charge we knew we didn't make. My wife called the bank immediately and the person she spoke to told her that they had several calls and all of the victims made withdrawals at that machine. The bank told her that the reader was installed in two of the 6 ATM s at that branch. The bank refunded our money immediately. Also the withdrawal was made first thing in the morning during banking hours.

As I say simple check of the device before inserting the card would have avoided this. Here is one article on it but there are lots

http://uk.pcmag.com/feature/36627/how-to-spot-and-avoid-credit-card-skimmers

But you are right you have to be vigilant everywhere. When we were young in the bank all the focus was what to do if there was an armed raid. Criminals now don't need to go down that route and can net a lot more by these other methods which is why in house training talks so much about it and so little about cash robberies

Last time I cruised, when I called my credit card company to advise them as to my travel plans, they ask me to come in and order a new credit card with the safer chip. I did and it came in two days.

All of this is interesting. Chip and pin is available now in the US and all cards should be chip and pin within 6 months!

Where can you safely get cash using a debitcard? Simply go inside the bank and hand it to a teller! They will put it in a machine at their window and you put in your pin. Safe and secure. Anyplace else is looking for trouble.

It simply takes a bit of planning. As for purchases - who in their right mind would use a debit card for a purchsase as you lose both and rewards you might get and you have no purchase protection - none. A credit card can get hacked - chip and pin VERY difficult - but then you have no liability. Always take two sets of cards for a couple. 2 credit cards each and one debit card. That way if one set stolen you then both still have a credit card and together a debit card.

The thing is, even with a special vacation account, if someone gets the debit card particulars they can clean that account out and the cash is gone. You do not have the same rights with Fraudulent transactions on a debit card as a credit card.

If you have a debit card, money is gone. No research, no put the money back in the account until the research of the dispute is resolved the case is just gone!

If you have a credit card compromised, the Credit car d companies immediately refund the disputed balances to the card and will only take it back out again should the merchant involved provide appropriate back for the charge.

So debit card and special savings accounts you ice cafd day 1, day 2 someone scams your card and money is gone, never tho reappear, and you have no way to pay for your extra vacation needs.

Visa card, use it day 1, someone scams it day 2, you dispute the charges, balance is restored to your account, and VISA sends you a new card overnight unless they agree to keep current account open for you. You are not out any money.

DIBIT card- no guarantees to get scammed money back.

CREDIT card - scammed money is returned almost instantaneously.

We always carry some cash, and simply pay for whatever we can with credit cards.

In all of our travels, we have never run out of cash or had any problems where we needed to get more cash.