Hurtigruten midnatsol february 3 to 17

harbormaster

We have just returned from our Hurtigruten Midnatsol cruise to Antarctica via the Chilean Fjords. We were thrilled with the itinerary and Antarctica. We were pleased that, after a lot of studying, we chose this line and this ship for our dream trip.

In short, we found the ship to be extremely comfortable, expedition staff first rate, spectacular scenery, good food and interesting fellow passengers. This ship was the right size to get into and explore Antarctica. Along the way we encountered Celebrity and Holland who just cruised by, and Seabourn as well as the Fram. But we felt we had a great experience and chose well. There were a few glitches, and we have done a complete review which can be found here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=567395

We would recommend this cruise to anyone who wants to experience the wonders of Antarctica.

John and Kathy

788357973_Penguinsship.jpg.4fcc959781edf31ee8e0bf6c443c76a9.jpg

After reading your so inclusive review I feel like booking this trip! I'm taking my second Hurtigruten trip in May, and might have to consider your trip for the future. Your description of all you did and saw is very inspiring. That was surely a strange experience you had in the dining room!

• 3 months later...
We have just returned from our Hurtigruten Midnatsol cruise to Antarctica via the Chilean Fjords. We were thrilled with the itinerary and Antarctica. We were pleased that, after a lot of studying, we chose this line and this ship for our dream trip.

In short, we found the ship to be extremely comfortable, expedition staff first rate, spectacular scenery, good food and interesting fellow passengers. This ship was the right size to get into and explore Antarctica. Along the way we encountered Celebrity and Holland who just cruised by, and Seabourn as well as the Fram. But we felt we had a great experience and chose well. There were a few glitches, and we have done a complete review which can be found here:

We would recommend this cruise to anyone who wants to experience the wonders of Antarctica.

John and Kathy

Just reading your full review (belatedly).

We'll be on the sister ship, Trollfjord, next March, for the regular RT Norway Coastal cruise.

Same suite! :) (Not sure if they are identical ship to ship.)

We've been intrigued about an Antarctic cruise for some time, but we only recently stumbled across Hurtigruten (and booked very quickly!).

Your Drake Passage outbound sounded surprisingly idyllic.

And then... your report about the return trip. YIKES!!

I've never yet been seasick, large ship or small boat, but... I do get *scared*.

But you wrote that you were never really concerned?

If you'd care to send us more info at our email below (in our "signature"), we'd love to hear more.

I'm just not sure...???

How difficult was it getting in and out of the Zodiac, especially getting on/off to the excursions on the land portion?

Many thanks for such a detailed Review.

(We'll hope for better with the dinner service. That seems extremely odd, especially repeatedly.)

Hi sorry for the delay in answering. We've been occupied with planning for this week's Oceania Marina Baltic cruise.

Looking back we are happy that we took Hurtigruten Midnatsol for our Antarctic trip. We loved the ship and cabin and the zodiac trips were the highlight. They were easy to get in and out of, and there always was crew to help you aboard and using hand to wrist grasps made it efficient. About 20 people in each zodiac. Definintely wear waterproof pants on all zodiac cruises and landings. And, the waterproof boots they give you to use are important as you sometimes have to walk in the water when landing. It is part of the fun.

As to the Drake passage, it is a dice roll as to how the weather will be. We can tell you that the ship is very stable and safety is always in the crew and officers' minds. We did not know it was a hurricane until it was over, and we did pretty much stay put in the cabin. Not the most fun, but now we look at it as part of the adventure. Do go. It was the experience of a lifetime. If you want more info, just let us know and we will email you.

Hi sorry for the delay in answering. We've been occupied with planning for this week's Oceania Marina Baltic cruise.

Looking back we are happy that we took Hurtigruten Midnatsol for our Antarctic trip. We loved the ship and cabin and the zodiac trips were the highlight. They were easy to get in and out of, and there always was crew to help you aboard and using hand to wrist grasps made it efficient. About 20 people in each zodiac. Definintely wear waterproof pants on all zodiac cruises and landings. And, the waterproof boots they give you to use are important as you sometimes have to walk in the water when landing. It is part of the fun.

As to the Drake passage, it is a dice roll as to how the weather will be. We can tell you that the ship is very stable and safety is always in the crew and officers' minds. We did not know it was a hurricane until it was over, and we did pretty much stay put in the cabin. Not the most fun, but now we look at it as part of the adventure. Do go. It was the experience of a lifetime. If you want more info, just let us know and we will email you.

Yes, we would LOVE to get more details.

We may not decide for sure until after we've had our Trollfjord trip in Norway next March, but Antarctica has been on my "dream list" for a long time.

Email is below, in "signature" area.

Many thanks!!

• 2 months later...

I am thinking about taking the Hurtgruten Antarctica cruise that you mentioned in your great review on another thread. Can you describe how you got the 24 sale? Can you get it if you are not signed up yet? Can you get it by signing up at the Hurtgruten web site?

Thanks, Rick

• 3 months later...

John and Kathy

Hi. We are going to Antarctic on Midnatsol Feb 2018. Flying from UK. Wondered if I could dispense with the 'recommended' jacket for first and last dinners? Such a pain to have to find room in luggage for an item to be only worn twice. Priority is the outdoor clothing. We have done two round trip Hurtigruten Norway coastal voyages in winter and have loved it.

Hi. We are going to Antarctic on Midnatsol Feb 2018. Flying from UK. Wondered if I could dispense with the 'recommended' jacket for first and last dinners? Such a pain to have to find room in luggage for an item to be only worn twice. Priority is the outdoor clothing. We have done two round trip Hurtigruten Norway coastal voyages in winter and have loved it.

"Jackets for first/last dinners" on Hurtigruten?

We'll be doing the Coastal RT in March, on the sister ship, Trollfjord.

DH might be bringing a jacket/etc., as we'll be in Oslo for a week or so first (and especially if he arranges a business meeting there!?!), but I guess I missed this suggestion. We were planning mostly for outdoorsy/warm clothing, too.

If there is something more about this, could you perhaps show a link?

If we enjoy the Coastal cruise as much as we hope/expect to, we may well be making reservations for Antarctica.

It would be *amazing*.

I just worry about being so far from medical care, for so long... Probably silly, but still...

As we get older, we are just more aware.......

Yup, we should have done a LOT of this type of travel when we were younger, but those ships have sailed :D

GC

Nobody was dressed up for dinners on Midnatsol in Antarctica last month. People were tidy, that was about it.

Hurtigruten ships are expedition ships, not cruise ships with formal nights. No requirement for jackets or dressing up. Being tidy dressed is what you need.

4E3Ag_SNQhQ

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...