Pearl Tips and Secrets Part 2

danak13

Going on the Pearl in just a short (or long) 40 days. I know there is a thread about the ship's tips and secrets but it was started in 2014 so trying to get another one going to learn all the fun things about the ship I shouldn't miss.

Also curious what the freestyle dining is like? It's just the two of us; did anyone have to wait for a table? Which MDR would you suggest? Best place for breakfast that is not the buffet? Best food? Best drinks? You get the picture! :D:D

On a 10-day to Alaska last year we were on the Pearl and I thought the ship was pretty great. I have to say that it was my first cruise ever so I have no frame of reference... With the rehab earlier this year it should be improved. Our favorite restaurant was Cagney's. We had a 5 meal dinner package so we were able to try each of the extra cost options. We did have a couple lunches in Summer Palace and it was nice. We had dinner once in Indigo - I don't remember the food being any better or worse than Summer Palace but I liked Summer Palace's atmosphere better - I don't remember seeing any windows in Indigo. I liked the freestyle dining a lot because we were pretty much able to eat what we wanted wherever we wanted and didn't have to wait - there is enough of a variety that we didn't get tired of the choices. We always made reservations at the extra cost spots - very easy with the kiosk-like touch screens on the walls in the elevator lobbies - you scan your cabin key and pick the place and time. Very easy. We ate breakfast at the buffet (Garden Cafe) each morning and the only issue was finding a table at peak times - but we could go out on the back deck to The Great Outdoors and always find a spot. Our cabin was on deck 11 all the way forward - a great location for using our spa passes - at the most two minutes from door to door. We loved the spa! During quiet times I thought it was relaxing to sit on one of the forward facing sofas in The Spinnaker Lounge and simply watch where we were heading - that was interesting in the evenings. Very quiet and a small handful of other people doing the same thing - no talking, just quiet.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by SuperCrewBear

Hi...wondering if you purchased the spa pass, and if so, what did you like/dislike about it. Thank you :)

Yep, we had spa passes. I think we paid about $150 each for the 10 days - well worth it. On departure day the spa was closed but we went there to pick up our wrist bands - they also put a sticker on our keycard. (They never asked about the wrist bands but did hold our keycard while we were in the spa.) They gave us a tour of the facilities that day then it opened for business the next day. Since the 1st day was a sea day we went sometime that morning. It was a little busy but probably no more than 20 people there. A lady we got to talking to was experienced and said she'd been on the Pearl multiple times - she said the first day was always a little busy but after that it wouldn't be. True. On subsequent days there was hardly anyone there - if we weren't by ourselves there was maybe 2-3 others. My favorite part was the big spa pool and my favorite part of that was the "horse head" showers (I don't know the true name) - it made a huge, concentrated stream that felt great on my back. The bubbling lounger area was pretty nice too. A lot of people brag about the heated tile loungers but I could take or leave them. In the individual sides (male & female) were several patio style chase lounges (not heated tile loungers) facing forward and those were nice too - you can relax while watching where the ship is heading. It's almost like a very private club since they only sell something under 100 passes per cruise from my understanding. I'm scheduled for the Pearl again next May and I plan on buying passes at the first opportunity. My advice is to get a pass!

Do they have hot chocolate pods?

We were on the Pearl in August and had our butler bring us hot chocolate packs. We used the hot water from the coffee maker to make our hot chocolate while we cruised Glacier Bay.

If you're not in a suite with butler, pick up some hot chocolate packs from the buffet.

We loved the Pearl and would cruise on her again.

Don

• 5 weeks later...
No they are Nespresso brand. We had one of each at the house and the pods are completely different. Nespresso coffee is much better, we think. We got rid of the Kuerig. :)

I understand the Nespresso Virtuoline pods are different than other models. Can you tell me what model? I’m worried I’ll order the wrong ones!