RCI Northern Europe cities

Chippet

hello

Got excellent advice here recently about ports, so looking for more.

Looking to book an RCI cruise to Hamburg

Oslo

Bruges

and wondering about the accessibility of these ports and of the Navigator of the Seas.

Any advice/info welcome.

Thankyou!!:D

hello

Got excellent advice here recently about ports, so looking for more.

Looking to book an RCI cruise to Hamburg

Oslo

Bruges

and wondering about the accessibility of these ports and of the Navigator of the Seas.

Any advice/info welcome.

Thankyou!!:D

Navigator of the Sea

Oslo

Burges

First of all, did you enjoy your cruise a couple weeks ago and did you go into Oporto? Also, were you able to enjoy some Belem tarts?

Both Bruges and Oslo can be done on your own, however Oslo could be a bit of a jaunt for whoever is walking, plus require some battery power.

For Bruges, the ship offered a shuttle service to and from Blankenberge where you can take the train to Bruges. The center of Bruges is approximately a mile from the train station. Most of the stores and sites are accessible. Basilica of the Holy Blood (http://www.holyblood.com/?lang=en) has an elevator. Enlarge Google map and you will be able to determine what you want to see and do. We took one route into town and returned to the train station via a different route. There is also a city bus that runs from the port area into Bruges, but we felt more comfortable taking the train.

Oslo can also be done on your own, depending on the battery power. We took the metro to Majorstuen [T-bane] station, which is a short distance from The Vigeland Park. The Vigeland Park (http://www.vigeland.museum.no/en/vigeland-park) is definitely worth a visit. From the park we scooted through the Royal Palace grounds and on to Mini Bottle Gallery. Then on to Akershus Fortress and the Norwegian Resistance Museum. There is a very good paved trail down the mountain that comes out close to the ship. Total of approximately 4-1/8 miles getting back to the ship from the park, deleting the stop at the Mini Bottle Museum makes it approximately 3-3/4 miles. Also, there is a hill getting to the palace grounds and the Resistance Museum. To get to the metro (Stortinget Station), from the ship is approximately ½ mile. We both had a spare set of batteries with us.

Considering the distances in Oslo, an accessible tour might be more practical for you. Ruth and I were rather adventurous.

I have not ever been to Hamburg. However, Germany has been ahead of other countries in making things accessible.

Thoroughly enjoyed my cruises on the Navigator OTS earlier this year.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for replies.

We did throughly enjoy our Spain/Portugal Cruise thankyou. I think Oporto might have been my favourite port (despite the lengthy bus journey for the pier). We didn’t get to Belem, but have been previously before we had the wheelchair to consider!

Am intrigued about Hamburg - info I’ve found online suggests it is a docked port, but an email from RCI suggests it may be rendered? Don’t want to risk loosing a port considering there are only 3.

Would also consider the Brilliance from Amsterdam, if these ports/ship would be better?

Copenhagen

Stockholm

Tallinn

St. Petersburg

Helsinki

Skagen

First of all, I think you are from Great Britain. If so, check Russia's visa requirements. If same as U.S., you cannot do anything on your own without a visa. However, one can take the ship's tours or some private tours without a visa. I notice that Royal Caribbean does not currently offer any accessible tours. If you post an inquiry about just St. Petersburg, I'm sure others can provide the name of private tours.

Copenhagen is very easy to get around. If you are on the Brilliance OTS, you are in luck, it is scheduled to dock at Langelinie on 5/13/18 (if any other date, check the port's schedule). From Langelinie to Rosenborg Slot it is 5 km and that would take you by the Little Mermaid, Amalienborg Slot, Frederik's Church (the Marble Church) and through the garden to Rosenborg. There is a bridge over the moat. Portions of both castles are accessible. Look them up on line for the details. I do not know how far you can walk. I would suggest that you go to Torvehallerne and enjoy the “fish and chips”; they are good, the best. Then take the train from Nørreport St. (directly southeast of Torvehallerne) to Østerport. From Osterport station it is only 1.5 km to the ship. If you have the time and feel like going further, you can take the train to the Main station. It is very close to Tivoli. Just remember for your return that Osterport is the closest station to the ship.

Stockholm is easy if you dock in Stockholm. They currently do not have May arrivals posted. Since the Brilliance OTS is one of the smaller ships, there is a chance it will dock in Stockholm. I do not know about access from the other terminals. We limited our adventures in town due to rain. That was a few years ago and the route was painted on the sidewalk.

Tallinn is within distance. Hopefully, the large wheels on a wheelchair will eliminate some of the bumps. Tallin has the worse cobblestones we have been over. We did not attempt to go up to the top of the hill. Just stayed in town.

Helsinki – The shuttle bus into town is accessible.

Never been to Skagen; none of my family lived that far north.

Aarhus – Is very easy to get around in.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

We did a Baltic cruise in 2015 with a wheelchair. In SPB we booked the 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla which was excellent. I managed all the tour except the metro ride. I went in the bus with the driver.

In Stockholm we bought a travelcard for public transport and easily ot around on buses, tram and ferries, including a visit to the Vasa Museum.

In Tallin we took a taxi to the top of Toompea Hill and walked down. We managed, but very disabled unfriendly.

In Copenhagen we took the HOHO from in front of where our ship was docked.

Haven't been to the other places.

Sent from my iPad using Forums