Renting a car in Pensacola, cruising out of Mobile

R Prim

Sorry for the long title but wasn't sure how often this topic had been covered. We are flying into Pensacola (seeing our grandson in the Navy). We will be renting a car at the airport and would like to drop if off near the Mobile Cruise Port. Anyone done this? What are our options? While we cruise often, never been our of Mobile before - a new adventure!

There is a Hertz located downtown at the Renaissance hotel, close to the Mobile Cruise Terminal. Enterprise has a downtown location about 1 mile away at 64 N Broad Street. All other companies will require you to drop off the car at the Mobile Airport, which requires a 30 minute taxi or Uber ride to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

One question is whether there will be a substantial upcharge for renting a car in Pensacola and turning it in somewhere in Mobile. An alternative would be to return the rental car to the Pensacola airport and from there take Uber/taxi transportation straight to the cruise terminal.

Google Maps indicates the distance as 56.6 miles. I have never used Uber and can't speak to that experience, but entering Uber Pensacola into Google leads you to the "fare estimator" on their local website and a "$79-$104" esimtated cost for the 1-hour ride. Another option is regular taxi service.

So you might compare that cost to the upcharge for turning in your rental car in Mobile, plus any costs involved in getting from the car rental facility to the cruise terminal. Then again, there is the convenience factor of being delivered right to the cruise terminal without the hassle of first turning in a rental car in Mobile. Just an option to consider. :cool:

Edited by Taldon
typo

One question is whether there will be a substantial upcharge for renting a car in Pensacola and turning it in somewhere in Mobile. An alternative would be to return the rental car to the Pensacola airport and from there take Uber/taxi transportation straight to the cruise terminal.

Google Maps indicates the distance as 56.6 miles. I have never used Uber and can't speak to that experience, but entering Uber Pensacola into Google leads you to the "fare estimator" on their local website and a "$79-$104" esimtated cost for the 1-hour ride. Another option is regular taxi service.

So you might compare that cost to the upcharge for turning in your rental car in Mobile, plus any costs involved in getting from the car rental facility to the cruise terminal. Then again, there is the convenience factor of being delivered right to the cruise terminal without the hassle of first turning in a rental car in Mobile. Just an option to consider. :cool:

Thank you so much for your input. I will definitely look into the Uber option from Pensacola - that thought never even entered my mind. It looks like we can rent a car at PNS and drop it off at the Mobile airport for about $80 total. Then probably take an Uber from the airport to the cruise port (which would all have to be done following the cruise as well).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I live in Mobile. I have never used them and I don't know how expensive it would be, but there is a shuttle service from Pensacola Airport to Mobile, I'm sure the cruise terminal would be a common stop for them. Google Pensacola Airport shuttle.

Also if you decide to drop a rental at the airport in Mobile, leave yourself plenty of time to get the cruise port, it is a solid 30 minutes. And, while the drive from Pensacola is an easy straight shot, you still have to get across the Bayway and through the tunnel - 95% of the time that will be no problem at all, that last 5% can be bad. You can Google Mobile Bayway traffic and get a live traffic cam, or try our local TV WKRG.com, they show live conditions in Mobile and Pensacola. You will be able to see the Fantasy at the dock, look toward the left as you pass the battleship and then again after you come out of the tunnel ;).

I'm assuming your grandson cannot get leave to drive you over and pick you up, but if he has been stationed in Pensacola for awhile, he might know about the ins and outs of getting over to Mobile.

Either way, welcome to the Gulf Coast! I've made it sound difficult, but it will be an easy trip, we fly out of Pensacola every once in awhile.

• 2 weeks later...