We're Live from St. Maarten

The thread should really be titled "Live from St. Maarten -- And What Are You Waiting For?!" -- there's so much progress here on the island, check out our report. The biggest news has nothing to do with hurricane damage at all -- it's about the fantastic new Rockland Estate Eco-Park, with its deepest-vertical-drop zipline and 1,000 ft. mountaintop views. Whether you've been to St. Maarten a million times or you're thinking about a first trip, it's exciting....

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8225

Carolyn

The thread should really be titled "Live from St. Maarten -- And What Are You Waiting For?!" -- there's so much progress here on the island, check out our report. The biggest news has nothing to do with hurricane damage at all -- it's about the fantastic new Rockland Estate Eco-Park, with its deepest-vertical-drop zipline and 1,000 ft. mountaintop views. Whether you've been to St. Maarten a million times or you're thinking about a first trip, it's exciting....

Carolyn

Thank you! That was helpful. We are scheduled to dock on December 26 on the Jewel. Our favorite spot in the Caribbean was Orient Beach. We chose this cruise specifically to return. In the article, it says that Orient Beach is still completely closed. Are any of the bar/restaurants from there operating in some fashion somewhere else?

We are a beach family. The more information on which beaches are safe and have services (bars, restaurants, bathrooms) the better. We are excited to return!

Thank you for the thread.

Renee

Hi, jsglow. Holland House was open for business and looked gorgeous, particularly the restaurant. One of the pics in the piece was from the restaurant there, looking out at the beach....

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn. So it seems fair to say that Phillipsburg is ahead of the game. Holland House open or opening soon?

Hi, let's go cruising. Orient Bay has no services, everything was pretty much demolished, so you may want to give it a miss this time around. Frankly, it was heartbreaking to see the mangled trees and trash everywhere. That part of the island was really hit hard.

You might try Kim Sha Bay, which is between the airport and Simpson Bay, on the Dutch side. It's got fairly gentle waters, services, restaurants, lolos, etc. And watersports vendors. Mullet Bay also looks great and has a pop-up bar/grill but less services. And Front Bay Beach, the closest to where the ships dock (but not too close) also is open for business, and there are open eateries and watersports vendors there.

A lot could change in a month -- progress is moving so quickly, particularly on the Dutch side, but I wouldn't count on Orient being ready.

Have a great trip and report back on your experience if you can!

Carolyn

Thank you! That was helpful. We are scheduled to dock on December 26 on the Jewel. Our favorite spot in the Caribbean was Orient Beach. We chose this cruise specifically to return. In the article' date=' it says that Orient Beach is still completely closed. Are any of the bar/restaurants from there operating in some fashion somewhere else?

We are a beach family. The more information on which beaches are safe and have services (bars, restaurants, bathrooms) the better. We are excited to return!

Thank you for the thread.

Renee[/quote']

Hi, let's go cruising. Orient Bay has no services, everything was pretty much demolished, so you may want to give it a miss this time around. Frankly, it was heartbreaking to see the mangled trees and trash everywhere. That part of the island was really hit hard.

You might try Kim Sha Bay, which is between the airport and Simpson Bay, on the Dutch side. It's got fairly gentle waters, services, restaurants, lolos, etc. And watersports vendors. Mullet Bay also looks great and has a pop-up bar/grill but less services. And Front Bay Beach, the closest to where the ships dock (but not too close) also is open for business, and there are open eateries and watersports vendors there.

A lot could change in a month -- progress is moving so quickly, particularly on the Dutch side, but I wouldn't count on Orient being ready.

Have a great trip and report back on your experience if you can!

Carolyn

Thank you. I really appreciate the information. I will post after we visit.

Renee

On my visit, on a very quiet Sunday, Great Bay beach (did I call it Front Bay before? Sorry), was definitely pretty much there. The Holland House was open and its sprawling bar and restaurant looked gorgeous. Chaises were out. Merchants were working on getting stores ready -- a few were open but again, it was Sunday and no cruise ships until early December, so it'll get busier the closer they get....

Carolyn

I presume for your above comments that Great Bay beach and facilities are all up speed ?

On my visit, on a very quiet Sunday, Great Bay beach (did I call it Front Bay before? Sorry), was definitely pretty much there. The Holland House was open and its sprawling bar and restaurant looked gorgeous. Chaises were out. Merchants were working on getting stores ready -- a few were open but again, it was Sunday and no cruise ships until early December, so it'll get busier the closer they get....

Carolyn

Thanks for your posts about St. Martin/Maarten, post hurricane.

Viking Ocean will be one of the cruise lines that will stop there Dec - March. I look forward to this port as we sail on the TA to Barcelona on the Viking Sea, , will be in St. Maarten on March 28.

It will be my first Viking Cruise, and I remember your detailed reivew of the Viking Star on her maiden voyage.

Hi, Azulann, lovely to hear from you. Glad to know you're on Viking again. I figure by March 28 things will be back to normal in St. Maarten, save perhaps for hotels. Look forward to hearing about it!

Our next cruise is on Viking to Cuba. A first time for me!

Carolyn

Thanks for your posts about St. Martin/Maarten, post hurricane.

Viking Ocean will be one of the cruise lines that will stop there Dec - March. I look forward to this port as we sail on the TA to Barcelona on the Viking Sea, , will be in St. Maarten on March 28.

It will be my first Viking Cruise, and I remember your detailed reivew of the Viking Star on her maiden voyage.

Hi Carolyn,

I'm an organizer for a small group cruise and St. Maarten is on one of the itineraries we're looking at for Feb. 2019. From the sounds of what you're reporting it seems as if things should be just fine by then. One of our group who is an experienced cruiser and a very strong personality seems to think that won't be the case. Can you please confirm so I can put that chatter to rest?

Thanks,

Carolyn

The hurricanes will be long forgotten by then! Good luck, and yes, hope this puts the chatter to rest.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

I'm an organizer for a small group cruise and St. Maarten is on one of the itineraries we're looking at for Feb. 2019. From the sounds of what you're reporting it seems as if things should be just fine by then. One of our group who is an experienced cruiser and a very strong personality seems to think that won't be the case. Can you please confirm so I can put that chatter to rest?

Thanks,

Carolyn

We will be there in late December and an excursion that is offered by RCCL is an Amazing Race type of activity. We enjoyed this tremendously on Cozumel and wondered if it seems like a good time (recovery-wise) to take off running through the city looking for clues. Any thoughts? Family does not enjoy sitting on a beach.

I'd look into the Rockland Eco-Estate, just outside of Philipsburg. It's a brand new attraction (I looked up shore excursions on Royal's website and was surprised it wasn't on there) that I wrote about in the Live from St. Maarten story. It's built on an historic estate, and includes a vertical zipline for the adventurous, a very lovely chairlift ride (as with skiing) to the top of a mountain with a great viewing platform and awesome views out over the island, that's nice for those of us who can do with a little bit less daring! At base, there's a museum about the estate, a restaurant helmed by a trendy local chef, and a shop.

You don't need a tour to do it but would need to get a taxi....

Here's the story: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8225

We'd love to hear about your experience on the island when you're back....

Carolyn

We will be there in late December and an excursion that is offered by RCCL is an Amazing Race type of activity. We enjoyed this tremendously on Cozumel and wondered if it seems like a good time (recovery-wise) to take off running through the city looking for clues. Any thoughts? Family does not enjoy sitting on a beach.

looking at going to pinel island in the first part of march 2018. I know that is like 3 months away. I believe that there will be activity and some restaurants around by then. the paddle company appears to be active and replying to emails

but my question is will it have regrowth and be pretty by then.

Carolyn

So - the wonderful, unique culture on the French side (Grand Case/Orient Bay, etc.) is practically destroyed, but we're all good because the Caribbean now has another zip line :rolleyes:

Sorry to sound snarky, but the "Eco-Park" looks just like every other tourist attraction in the Caribbean to me. It will help the Dutch side economy, which is very good news. But the French side will be down and out for years, if the three years it took them to rebuild from the last hurricane is any indication. And that was only partial destruction, compared to total destruction with this one. So, so sad.

So - the wonderful, unique culture on the French side (Grand Case/Orient Bay, etc.) is practically destroyed, but we're all good because the Caribbean now has another zip line :rolleyes:

Sorry to sound snarky, but the "Eco-Park" looks just like every other tourist attraction in the Caribbean to me. It will help the Dutch side economy, which is very good news. But the French side will be down and out for years, if the three years it took them to rebuild from the last hurricane is any indication. And that was only partial destruction, compared to total destruction with this one. So, so sad.

Yes

looking at going to pinel island in the first part of march 2018. I know that is like 3 months away. I believe that there will be activity and some restaurants around by then. the paddle company appears to be active and replying to emails

the paddle board company states there is one restaurant open on pinel island as of a few days ago.

Hi, Johnmc1234. It's already gotten regrowth, everything was lush and green.

It was a pleasant surprise. One islander told me that there was so much rain after the hurricane moved through that it washed the salt away and prevented serious root damage. So everything's flowering and flourishing.

Carolyn

Carolyn

Some of the best news I've heard in a while! We are scheduled to make a stop next June on Freedom of the Seas, and St Marteen was something we looked forward to. This will be our first cruise, so we have nothing to judge it by. But from this story and words around the internet, I'm excited instead of concerned now! See ya next year 1f642.png

the paddle board company states there is one restaurant open on pinel island as of a few days ago.

When I was there 2 years ago, there were only two restaurants anyway and a lovely outdoor gift shop. It's a very small island with chairs on two sides. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, got an email from St. Maarten's tourist folks with the latest updates on improvements and such. Not in there, but worth noting for folks who like to hang out at Maho and watch the wide-bodies: AirFrance has resumed its flights (once a week, on Saturdays); it will increase frequency in June. Anyway, here's the update:

Carolyn

I have more updates! I know some of the below is already on your radar, but I wanted to give you the full update as of now. We're excited that Disney is will return this month.

Only four months after Hurricane Irma, St Maarten is steadily recovering and showing visible signs of progress. I had the opportunity to visit the island in late December and am thrilled to say that the Dutch side experience is both delicious and fulfilling. It's very green, safe, the roads are clear, an extraordinary number of restaurants and bars are open, and the beaches are clean and already hosting parties. The people are determined - not disheartened. In short, the progress on the Dutch side three months after Irma was truly impressive. Here's a link to images of St. Maarten in December 2017.

Please see below the most updated information in the island by product category.

Cruise

December marked the much-anticipated reopening of St. Maarten’s cruise port. Viking Cruises’ Viking Sea ship and Marella Cruises’ Marella Discovery sailed into port on December 4 and 5 respectively. Royal Caribbean’s Grandeur of the Seas made its return to the beloved Philipsburg port on on December 17. Disney Cruises will return January 13, 2018.

Airline

Princess Juliana International Airport reopened for commercial flights on October 10, 2017. Currently, American Airlines and Delta Air Lines operate daily flights to St. Maarten through Miami and Atlanta respectively. JetBlue resumed twice-weekly flights through New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport on November 2, 2017. Carrying capacity will continue to increase in 2018.

Hotel

St. Maarten's boutique hotels and guest houses are open for business. You can rest your head at the following properties: Baker’s Suites, Horizon View Beach Hotel, Carl’s Unique Inn, The Paradise Inn, Travel Inn Hotel, Princess Heights, Holland House Beach Hotel, Sea Palace Resort, Atrium Resort & Spa, and several others. Oyster Bay plans to reopen in April and Sonesta Ocean Point in Q4. Further booking options and general hotel updates can be found on the St. Maarten Tourist Bureau website. (I stayed at Baker's Suites and Holland House - normal great experience at both.)

F&B

Simpson Bay (just a short drive from the airport) is bustling with f&b and entertainment options. Bars and restaurants currently open for business include Topper's, Pizza & Co. (amazing pizza named after iconic Hollywood movies and actors), Captain D's Roadside Grill (a personal favorite for BBQ ribs), Little Jerusalem, Bombay Bites, Lee's Roadside Grill, Avantika (Thai!), Marty's (traditional Dutch), Rhythm & Booze, Pizza del Sol, Jungle Steakhouse, Sale & Pepe and more. For fine dining, zip over to the Rockland Estate for island-inspired fare by acclaimed St. Maarten chef, Dino Jagtiani - the fondue gouda Johnny cakes are a must try!

Activities

Just one month after Irma, 80% of land-based activities and 64% of sea-based activities were back in action. This number has steadily increased since. Here are several activity options currently available in St. Maarten.

Philipsburg - Decorate yourself with diamonds and cool off with a guavaberry colada in the Dutch side capital. 90% of the shops on Front Street are open.

Rainforest Adventures - Sweeping views of the entire island and the steepest zipline in the world? Whether it's breathtaking sights or adventure you're after, Rainforest Adventures' has you covered.

Aqua Mania Adventures - Family owned and operated for over 20 years, Aqua Mania didn't miss a beat with Irma. Adventures include diving, sailing, kayak rentals, and excursions to neighboring island Anguilla.