Bliss or the Pearl?

fastpitchdad

My wife and I are getting ready to book our next cruise and are thinking of staying local and cruising Alaska from Seattle. We are looking at late August/early September so we can choose from the Bliss or the Pearl. We did the Star this past October out of Venice and really enjoyed the Ship. I *think* the Pearl is similar. I know the Bliss will be brand new and much bigger. Balcony pricing for each is similar and I assume the UBP works the same on each :).

We are leaning towards the Bliss but does anyone have pros/cons Bliss vs Pearl?

Your deciding factor should be the scheduled ports and the path the ship sails.

Interesting. For me it would be the brand new larger ship over an older smaller ship. A destination in itself.

But, let's face it, it's an Alaska cruise so you can't go wrong with either.

Interesting. For me it would be the brand new larger ship over an older smaller ship. A destination in itself.

But, let's face it, it's an Alaska cruise so you can't go wrong with either.

I understand the Bliss is too big to cruise Glacier bay. If it's a first time Alaska most folks want Glacier bay, so for itinerary, Pearl would be better. .

The Bliss, built for cruising Alaska, would be an excellent choice.

Just curious. other than NCL saying it was built for Alaska what evidence have you seen that it, in fact was? Was it because they put a go cart track on it. Or was it that they didn't cover main pool area? I know it the BBQ dance hall. LOL

Just curious. other than NCL saying it was built for Alaska what evidence have you seen that it, im fact was? Was it because they put a go cart track on it. Or was it that they didn't cover main pool area? LOL

I think you have your facts wrong. The Bliss has a snowmobile track and an ice rink on the top deck.

From what I heard it is the massive observation deck on front of ship. Inclosed. It will be warmer during Alaskan cruise season. How 4,000 plus can enjoy it is another thing. LOL.

Yep. that's what they said. It's the same as their jewel class ships. They just had a stage in the middle. If you wanted to look forward during the day, you just sat on either side. That kind of observation deck is on Celebrity, Royal and Holland cruise ships that I know of. I'm sure there are others. None of those lines claim they're for Alaska. It's like the Getaway was for Miami, and the Breakaway was for NYC. We was how long that lasted. They have to say there's something special about every new ship to get interest in it.

The choice between the Pearl, and the Bliss will be the number of people you are willing to put up with. We have sailed the Pearl 4 times and it is our favorite ship to date. Have yet to sail on a "mega" ship, but that opportunity (Bliss) will come in May of next year. But I do know that the Bliss has a huge observation lounge, and the buffet at the front of the ship. Two great areas to sit, and take in the sights.

Having sailed into both the Sawyer glacier, and Glacier Bay, I think you get a more up close view of the Sawyer glacier, and the trip into and out of the Sawyer is beautiful. The advantage of Glacier Bay is the different types of glaciers that you can observe. Which ever cruise you choose will be a memorable one. :D

We sailed on the Pearl to Alaska and the Escape (sister ship to the Bliss) in the Caribbean. Without hesitation, I would pick the Pearl for Alaska. As others have mentioned, the primary reason is the better itinerary (it goes to Glacier Bay). And while the Bliss gets 30 more minutes in Ketchikan, the Pearl gets much more time in Juneau and Skagway. I have also heard rumors (stress only rumors) that the Bliss may have to tender at some ports? At any rate, those Alaskan towns seemed quite crowded... seems like it would only be worse when the Bliss is in port. I joked to my wife in Skagway, "we need to get back on the ship to get away from the crowds!" The Pearl definitely did not seem crowded. As previously stated, the Pearl also has a forward observation lounge just like the Bliss, which was usually fairly empty when we were up there. (See 2:15 mark in my video,

) The mega ship was great for hot weather destinations, but for Alaska I would pick the Jewel-class ship.

I've sailed to Alaska twice and I have to say that if you are only planning on doing Alaska once, make sure Glacier Bay is on the itinerary, next would be the Inside Passage. I will be on the Bliss to Alaska (for my third Alaska sailing), and disappointed that it's not even doing the Inside Passage. The Pearl is a great ship, I actually prefer the smaller NCL ships, it was also refreshed last year. I'm excited to get onboard the Bliss as it's my first mega ship, but I'm honestly not sure if I'll like it.

I've sailed to Alaska twice and I have to say that if you are only planning on doing Alaska once, make sure Glacier Bay is on the itinerary, next would be the Inside Passage. I will be on the Bliss to Alaska (for my third Alaska sailing), and disappointed that it's not even doing the Inside Passage. The Pearl is a great ship, I actually prefer the smaller NCL ships, it was also refreshed last year. I'm excited to get onboard the Bliss as it's my first mega ship, but I'm honestly not sure if I'll like it.

We couldn't even find an inside passage cruise out of Seattle on NCL which is what we wanted because we always see ships headed that way when we drive up to Whistler on the Sea to Sky highway.

I understand the Bliss is too big to cruise Glacier bay. If it's a first time Alaska most folks want Glacier bay, so for itinerary, Pearl would be better. .

I would agree having been there. Also less people in port with a smaller ship.

We couldn't even find an inside passage cruise out of Seattle on NCL which is what we wanted because we always see ships headed that way when we drive up to Whistler on the Sea to Sky highway.

To go up the inside of Vancouver Island you have to take a ship leaving from Vancouver BC

The Jewel, sister ship to Pearl, is sailing out of Vancouver and doing the inside passage. They are one way trips but airfare from Anc to Seattle isn’t much extra.

The Jewel’s spa coed area isn’t as nice as the Pearl coed spa area if spa is important. Both spas are however at the front of the ship and a great way to relax while taking in the Alaska beauty. The Bliss spa will a undoubtedly blow the Jewel class away but I don’t think it has the primo forward location that Jewel and Pearl spas have.

Jewel hasn’t been refurbished yet, scheduled for after the 2018 Alaska season. Both ships are, “older” mid size ships I think 2006 and 2007 which isn’t really that, “old”.

The Bliss is a mega ship and imo best suited for those who don’t mind crowds, want a sparkling new ship and all the extra on board amenities that come with the mega ship. I’ve sailed the Pearl Alaska a few times and it’s my absolute favorite, as is an itinerary with Glacier Bay and inside passage. We’re going with the Jewel this year. I really want to try out a mega ship but I absolutely love the Jewel class size and amenities and I’m not a fan of big crowds.

I’d like to do the Pacific coast reposition cruise on the Bliss to get a taste of it without the $ commitment of Alaska. Bliss for me would be all about the ship. Pearl would be about the relaxing journey and the ports.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We will be first time cruisers and can't decide between the Pearl or the Bliss for Alaska this May 2018. We're specifically looking at the roundtrip from Seattle and definitely don't want to miss Glacier Bay (both offer it) but just can't decide which ship to book! On the Pearl we can get a forward balcony for about $900 cheaper than any other option as the best deal but afraid of the wind factor in May, or a mini suit aft for an additional $700, Or go on the Bliss aft balcony for only $200 more than the Pearl's mini suite's rate.. so undecided. By the way, we're a young couple (early 30s) with 4 year old. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D