Is the free dinner in the Anthem Solarium any good?

Hi everybody,

I have kids who eat pretty worldly foods and love fish (especially salmon and shrimp). I went ahead and booked the Solarium for a 1 night dinner for my family (a nice change mid-cruise from main dining), but I kinda wanted to know if the fish (or the other items) are any good:)...I mean, should I prep them to expect my cooking/a grocery counter fish, a Red Lobster experience fish, a higher end fresh fish place fish, (I doubt better than that:), etc...

Plus, I'm assuming they don't serve dessert at all...and they don't serve alcohol, either, right (or do they? My husband has the alcohol plan and I have the non-alcohol one, so if they have special stuff, I'm sure we'd order it, even if we hated it:)...

Thanks for any info and experience you can provide!

Kristy

Sorry, I can't tell you about the fish. But, I can tell you that we really did not enjoy the Solarium Bistro at all. They offer a buffet of appetizers which was really nothing special. You order off the menu for the main. I had the chicken. It was definitely Mediterranean style, but nothing special at all...certainly not special enough to eat there again on our second Anthem cruise. There are desserts at the buffet as well. Although we did not order alcohol, I am pretty sure that, as well as any other drinks that are available in the other dining rooms are also available there. I get the feeling you have higher expectations for this venue than may be warranted.

That being said, we did enjoy brunch at the Solarium Bistro on sea days as they had breakfast items much later than available elsewhere on the ship, along with lunch items and is a more peaceful environment.

We have had dinner in Solarium Bistro a bunch of times on our Anthem sailings. There is a really nice buffet of appetizers, soups, salad bar and a dessert bar. I don't always order a main course because I like the other items better. They have a delicious watermelon and feta salad and also a mango arugula salad with pistachios that was very good too. The hot appetizers include eggplant parmesan, calamari, stuffed pepper, talapia, paella, mixed fish cake (we don't like those) and many other things I am forgetting. There was hummus, baba ganoush, tzatziki and pita. Salad bar had cold premade salads and also things to make your own salad. Desserts were baklava, cupcakes, some kind of custard and a couple of different cakes.

The entrees are okay. I have had the chicken kabobs and the salmon, my DH has had the shrimp and the steak. They are alright, not fancy, but we tend to just eat off the buffet items since we like those better.

I am pretty sure you can get bar service as I remember seeing people with wine.

Sorry, I can't tell you about the fish. But, I can tell you that we really did not enjoy the Solarium Bistro at all. They offer a buffet of appetizers which was really nothing special. You order off the menu for the main. I had the chicken. It was definitely Mediterranean style, but nothing special at all...certainly not special enough to eat there again on our second Anthem cruise. There are desserts at the buffet as well. Although we did not order alcohol, I am pretty sure that, as well as any other drinks that are available in the other dining rooms are also available there. I get the feeling you have higher expectations for this venue than may be warranted.

That being said, we did enjoy brunch at the Solarium Bistro on sea days as they had breakfast items much later than available elsewhere on the ship, along with lunch items and is a more peaceful environment.

Thanks - okay, avoid chicken - check:).

Honestly, I'm just hoping it's good (I'm not expecting great or even very good - just better than frozen boxed food from Gorton's, which would be bad on my quality scale:). My son could eat salmon and shrimp all day long and twice on Sunday in almost any quality, so it's mostly for his benefit...and the benefit to the family of not seeing the same walls for each dinner all week!

Also, I think it requires no dress-up, so I thought it'd be great coming off a tour in Bermuda to have a quicker and easier dinner that night!

We have had dinner in Solarium Bistro a bunch of times on our Anthem sailings. There is a really nice buffet of appetizers, soups, salad bar and a dessert bar. I don't always order a main course because I like the other items better. They have a delicious watermelon and feta salad and also a mango arugula salad with pistachios that was very good too. The hot appetizers include eggplant parmesan, calamari, stuffed pepper, talapia, paella, mixed fish cake (we don't like those) and many other things I am forgetting. There was hummus, baba ganoush, tzatziki and pita. Salad bar had cold premade salads and also things to make your own salad. Desserts were baklava, cupcakes, some kind of custard and a couple of different cakes.

The entrees are okay. I have had the chicken kabobs and the salmon, my DH has had the shrimp and the steak. They are alright, not fancy, but we tend to just eat off the buffet items since we like those better.

Baklava - that is gonna make my spouse's year b/c I refuse to make that and it's his favorite dessert!

And you had me at mango arugula salad with pistachios - that sounds amazing! And I love the Greek dips, so I'm excited for those:)...

Baklava - that is gonna make my spouse's year b/c I refuse to make that and it's his favorite dessert!

And you had me at mango arugula salad with pistachios - that sounds amazing! And I love the Greek dips, so I'm excited for those:)...

There were a couple of dishes that had ground lamb in them, forget what they were as we don't eat lamb. I also remember some kind of stuffed squash that my DH liked.

There are also lots of different choices of rolls and breads. There are two soups, usually a consomme and sometimes just whatever soup they are having elsewhere on the ship.

The fish is not Gorton's quality stuff, it is better than that! I think there were around 6 good sized shrimp served with rice. The salmon was also served with rice and was too much salmon for me after eating all the other good stuff.

It is just a quieter, nicer experience than either the WJ or the other restaurants. We like it for a change.

There were a couple of dishes that had ground lamb in them, forget what they were as we don't eat lamb. I also remember some kind of stuffed squash that my DH liked.

There are also lots of different choices of rolls and breads. There are two soups, usually a consomme and sometimes just whatever soup they are having elsewhere on the ship.

The fish is not Gorton's quality stuff, it is better than that! I think there were around 6 good sized shrimp served with rice. The salmon was also served with rice and was too much salmon for me after eating all the other good stuff.

It is just a quieter, nicer experience than either the WJ or the other restaurants. We like it for a change.

Excellent - I wish Cruise Critic had a like button:)...

Sailing on the Anthem in late January. Was looking at my cruise planner and noticed that the Bistro is a no charge. In looking at the menu, I noticed an upcharge of $15 for lobster tail. Therefore, for $15 I'll combine it with the skirt steak, that's on the menu, and have a nice surf & turf. This will save $15/27 per compared to the SR charge. My understanding is that the size of the tail is larger that the one offered in MDR on lobster nite.

I realise the question was about Athem but just to inform you if you find it to be of any help.

We have eaten dinner on HOTS on two occasions and enjoyed them both times.

Self service buffet starter and dessert with very good selections.

Entree served at your table from the menu with no up charge or indeed we could have helped ourselves from the many buffet items.

I LOVED it. I could have easily just eaten the buffet. I love hummus, roasted veggies, shrimp etc so it was right up my alley. The mains are basically just the meat on the plate or what you ordered without sides (which you don't need). They had a very nice dessert buffet. It was better than the windjammer I felt and I like dessert more than dinner : ) Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. My kids liked it also (ages 14, 12, 11 and 5). I am pretty sure I was able to get a kids meal for the 5 year old. We brought our own wine and were not charged a corkage. That was a year and a half ago so take my review with a grain of salt.

I realise the question was about Athem but just to inform you if you find it to be of any help.

Entree served at your table from the menu with no up charge or indeed we could have helped ourselves from the many buffet items.

I LOVED it. I could have easily just eaten the buffet. I love hummus, roasted veggies, shrimp etc so it was right up my alley. The mains are basically just the meat on the plate or what you ordered without sides (which you don't need). They had a very nice dessert buffet. It was better than the windjammer I felt and I like dessert more than dinner : ) Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. My kids liked it also (ages 14, 12, 11 and 5). I am pretty sure I was able to get a kids meal for the 5 year old. We brought our own wine and were not charged a corkage. That was a year and a half ago so take my review with a grain of salt.

Excellent:)...and I am totally one who can enjoy dessert over dinner (I believe if you want a nice enough one, you skip dinner to save the calories - this causes my husband's head to explode:))...

I am happy to hear your kids liked it - my youngest likes steak, so I figure he'll have that or the chicken kabob with the fries and we won't need to worry about the kid menu for one night (my 2nd youngest, the boy fish eater, did not eat from a kids' menu once last cruise (at 8) b/c he ate salmon or steak every night with a shrimp app...kid was in heaven:))...

Hi everybody,

I have kids who eat pretty worldly foods and love fish (especially salmon and shrimp). I went ahead and booked the Solarium for a 1 night dinner for my family (a nice change mid-cruise from main dining), but I kinda wanted to know if the fish (or the other items) are any good:)...I mean, should I prep them to expect my cooking/a grocery counter fish, a Red Lobster experience fish, a higher end fresh fish place fish, (I doubt better than that:), etc...

Plus, I'm assuming they don't serve dessert at all...and they don't serve alcohol, either, right (or do they? My husband has the alcohol plan and I have the non-alcohol one, so if they have special stuff, I'm sure we'd order it, even if we hated it:)...

Thanks for any info and experience you can provide!

Kristy

We ate there during our last sailing in May. I had the Salmon and asked for it done medium. It came out perfect !! one of the best pieces of seafood I had on the trip. Also, the hot/cold appetizer bar would make a complete meal for anyone.

Enjoy !!

Steve

I agree. I like the Solarium Bistro's dinner. I also don't order an entrée, as I easily fill up on the appetizer bar and salad bar. Then I force myself to eat some baklava.

:D

The appetizers are mainly Mediterranean. If you detest Mediterranean food, you won't like this place.

I had the salmon dinner there and it was great, especially the sauce. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with both the meal, and the fact that it was free.

Excellent...and I totally get being happy about "included"...not looking to try to pick a paid place for 7 (including picky grandmom and 3 "kid-aged" kids), so happy to see somewhere extra we can try "included" in the price, b/c the price was so good to get on board already (although they did get me for the alcohol and regular beverage package, so I'm already donating my cruise fare savings back...but I'll totally enjoy the donations:)...

I also got motion sick last cruise (it was the hurricane one this year) and when on my meds, my appetite is greatly reduced, so I just don't get a lot out of the "heavy" pay restaurants, nor do I want to plan to eat there and pay, and then decide I can only eat a salad (happened on last cruise - filet night became single app crabcake and caesar salad for me, b/c the thought of anything heavier was revolting to my tummy when the rocking was SO large that the ship was leaning:)...

I figure if we do the pay places, it will 1. be way last minute (ie - I feel good and hungry right then) and 2. be on a discount that gives me all the kids free and ordering off the adult menu (both the adult one and the 3 kid aged ones)...not planning to see either of those things happen, so I'm gonna be happy with my "included" items and over the moon if I get anything better:)...

I only went a couple of times on HOTS but the SB there is much better than the one on Anthem now. Baklava was tasty on both ships.

We ate there one night on the Anthem cruise in September 2016, because my wife was doing the thriller dance, and with other activities there was just not enough time to do dinner in one of the main restaurants. It was not special, but the atmosphere was nice. The food was slightly healthy, and you could easily order off the menu and get finished in at least an hour less time than any other dining room other than the WJ. We spent so little time there that I didn't find the baklava.... I like baklava. I need to go back. For a buffet it is better than the WJ. I am not a huge fan, but it was not bad.

JC