Vision OTS - Stabilizers???

texnewbie

I don't know who told you that. If it was a crew member and not an officer or the captain, I would tend to doubt the veracity of their statement. Of course I don't know if they were broken or not, but I think that the stabilizers are moving parts that are usually repaired in a timely manner.

Stabilizers work to counteract rolling, they have little or no effect to counter pitching. And in really heavy seas, nothing helps.

Langoustine is correct regarding the function of the stabilizers. 6936c96629ae65821f2df6a32ae2b5ce.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stabilizers work to counteract rolling, they have little or no effect to counter pitching. And in really heavy seas, nothing helps.

Yes, stabilizers do not stop the ship from rolling. Stabilizers only slow the roll down to a comfortable "period" (the time from one end of the roll to the other). Stabilizers actually need some roll motion to start to react. Cruise ships with their high center of gravity in relation to their center of buoyancy, tend to be very "stiff", meaning their roll motion is quick and jerky, which is not comfortable. The stabilizers slow this roll motion down to a more moderately slow and smooth motion. Stabilizers will also be affected by the ship's speed. The slower the ship moves, the less effect stabilizers have (think airplane ailerons).

Was on Vision in November and during behind the scenes tour asked Captain Marek about the stabilizers and he replied the port side stabilizer was deployed. So they were working and deployed on November 5th. However as was stated before they will only help so much. Have a great cruise.:cool: