Ncl 10% tax ambush!

Dodge7707

Beware of taxes now imposed once you have boarded the ship when you are in Spanish waters,even if you are all inclusive or have the ultimate beverage package. This can be quite costly as it includes days in port,extra hours when passing through the straights of Gibraltar.We were ambushed with this info after we had boarded! It may be worth checking with your booking agent whether you can transfer to a non tax cruise. Has anyone found this tax on any other cruise line. We are still on board at the moment and not happy about it.

Beware of taxes now imposed once you have boarded the ship when you are in Spanish waters,even if you are all inclusive or have the ultimate beverage package. This can be quite costly as it includes days in port,extra hours when passing through the straights of Gibraltar.We were ambushed with this info after we had boarded! It may be worth checking with your booking agent whether you can transfer to a non tax cruise. Has anyone found this tax on any other cruise line. We are still on board at the moment and not happy about it.

You make it sound like NCL is the one doing the Ambush . I think the 10% Tax applies to all Cruise lines that visit Spain

You make it sound like NCL is the one doing the Ambush . I think the 10% Tax applies to all Cruise lines that visit Spain

Exactly. Same thing that happened in the States when the cruise lines had to start charging the sales tax on drinks at the Embarkation ports or any port they stopped in that was in the US. Nothing new

Being we are still on the cruise we are not at all sure if it is all cruise lines or not. Hence we are seeking confirmation here on this forum, thanks for all replies.

Not sure what difference it would make to you as to what other Lines do

you are on the cruise and have to pay it whatever the answer.

There are threads that mention P&O and RCCL so it suggests that

all cruise lines have to collect this tax - how much, and where you are

cruising may make a difference and depending on where you live (ie outside the EU) you may be able to claim it back. The tax also seems

to be payable for ships sailing from Italian ports.

I would just enjoy your cruise and research it when you get back so that you know the position for the future. Maybe add your findings to this thread to help others.

Being we are still on the cruise we are not at all sure if it is all cruise lines or not. Hence we are seeking confirmation here on this forum, thanks for all replies.

Spain requires VAT be charged for on board purchases done on cruises departing Spain, purchases that are charged upon boarding. So, all cruise lines are doing it. I know HAL does.

It may have been a surprise to you, but it is not new.

It depends on the itinerary. If you are going on an itinerary that does not leave the Schengen region, the ship is required to charge VAT on all purchases throughout the cruise. If it goes to a non-Schengen port, then its only while in Spanish waters.

At least from what I've heard this is the case, I might be wrong.

This is not new. Has been discussed here for several years now. I believe Spain is the only one charging VAT in this circumstance. All cruises starting in Spanish ports are subject to this tax charge.

Yes, it's been the case for a number of years.

But it's a little more complicated than that.

The tax is applied only if all the ports are in the EU tax regime - it doesn't apply to cruises which include a port outside the EU tax regime, such as Gibraltar or Tunis. That's one reason why ships include such ports & it might be why the OP doesn't recall the tax on a previous NCL cruise, though NCL figures in a lot in discussions on the subject because they tend not to include non-EU ports their itineraries from Spain.

The rules are the same whichever EU country you cruise from, but it does seem that different countries have different interpretations of the rules.

And it's not helped by some folk who confuse the drinks service charge with tax. Or by folk with hazy memories - one CC member posted that they were charged Spanish tax all the way back to Miami :rolleyes:

JB :)

It depends on the itinerary. If you are going on an itinerary that does not leave the Schengen region, the ship is required to charge VAT on all purchases throughout the cruise. If it goes to a non-Schengen port, then its only while in Spanish waters.

At least from what I've heard this is the case, I might be wrong.

Almost right, number 1025.:)

But you're confusing Schengen with the EU.

Most EU countries are Schengen (open internal borders), But some, for instance the UK and Gibraltar, are not.

Some places in the EU are not in the EU tax regime, for instance Gibraltar & the Canary Islands.

BTW, Aulanis - nobody can reclaim VAT on things they've consumed, only things they take out of the EU.

Complicated, innit :confused:

JB :)

Are you actually certain that you are being charged this tax? We were on Sprit last year and noticed a sign on all the bars stating that a 10% tax would apply. We checked with Customer Relations who assured us that the tax was not charged when the drinks package had been purchased before departure. I should say that we booked our cruise before the All-inclusive concept had been introduced, so purchased our drinks package separately. We are told though that the rule applied whether the package had been bought separately or included in the fare. The 10% was only charged on any drinks purchased after the cruise had sailed.

This applies to all cruises departing from Spain or Italy that only visit ports within the EU tax regime.

Exactly. Same thing that happened in the States when the cruise lines had to start charging the sales tax on drinks at the Embarkation ports or any port they stopped in that was in the US. Nothing new

Yes, that is what we experienced in FLL, on HAL > My DH and I bought a few bottles of wine form one of the bars, while we were still docked. we were charged a tax which was either state or city. After we sailed , no tax. Th is not anything the cruise line can control. The subject of the thread is not quite fair to NCL IMO

Hardly an ambush. Well known fact that has nothing to do with the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, that is what we experienced in FLL, on HAL > My DH and I bought a few bottles of wine form one of the bars, while we were still docked. we were charged a tax which was either state or city. After we sailed , no tax. Th is not anything the cruise line can control. The subject of the thread is not quite fair to NCL IMO

Same thing is applied in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have previously never actually had to pay this tax with the Ulimate Beverage Package. Including last January 2017. Apparantly this started being enforced only two weeks ago on the NCL Spirit. So what about other cruise lines!!

What was your itinerary in January. You evidently had a different itinerary that didn't require the tax.

We have previously never actually had to pay this tax with the Ulimate Beverage Package. Including last January 2017. Apparantly this started being enforced only two weeks ago on the NCL Spirit. So what about other cruise lines!!

Nope; it was well in place in 2015 my experiences.

Are you a new cruiser; we had the 'ambush' of a total of $4 USD with the UBP on a NLC Spirit Med cruise out of Barcelona, not really a big deal for us? As others have said, well known but not a huge expense (I guess I depends on how much you imbibe).

It is the Spain VAT, not an NCL 'tax'.

Safe sailing!

I am also on the Spirit at the moment.

A few facts:

The Spirit has been running an itinery like this from Barcelona for some years.

I have cruised this itinery many times including last January 2017.

I have always bought the Ultimate Beverage Package.

I have NEVER had to pay ANY taxes on drinks in port, Spanish waters, anywhere.

From feedback on ship this HAS changed very RECENTLY. (It has NOT always been the same)

I am expecting a tax charge of an additional $150 minimum.

The question about other shipping lines doing the same is to check the veracity of NCL’s actions. I am interested in what other recent cruisers have to say and if they were treated the same,

Please believe me, if you are Ultimate Beverage Package, or All Inclusive on NCL, this has changed, very recently.

We've had to pay it on the epic for the last 4 years whilst in Barcelona and upto about 10pm when one sailing took in Morocco. At least they had signs up a me we were warned verbally. However this happened on the escape in Miami and we were never warned it would happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums