insurance

griffster

hi

my hubby and i fly to the caribbean this friday 15 dec, we have everything sorted, packing , money, insuramce i now have a ladies problem!!!! which i think i will need antibiotics. my question is will i need to inform my ins. thanks. lynn:(

...i now have a ladies problem!!!! which i think i will need antibiotics. my question is will i need to inform my ins...

~Hopefully I am understanding things correctly....

What you should do is go to your physician and have an exam, for which he or she may or may not prescribe medication. Do it before you leave, not worry about it while you are away.

thanks all for your replys. i am off to see the dr tommorrow. i might a swell say what it is ,we are all open mined these days. i have cysitus, but losing blood with it. i have drank quite a few bottles of water today. its just to see if i need antibiotics, i will not be cancelling the cruise, waited far too long for this. it will a special cruise for us. 70ths and golden wedding.thanks once again, if i have to let the ins know, i will.

If you have a simple UTI, then a trip to the doctor for an antibiotic should set you right. I don't know why you would need to notify your insurance company for something like this. I'm assuming you are referring to your trip insurance policy, not your regular health insurance.

OP notice you are posting from UK. Your healthcare and insurance is totally different than what we have in US, and a large number of CC posters are from the US. If you have any concerns I would ask your insurance company, but what you are describing doesn't sound serious.

I would think if you have a simple UTI and your doctor prescribes antibiotics that it will probably be cleared up by the time you travel. I would suggest asking your doctor if you should take a second course of antibiotics to cover you until you get home. Usually a second urine test is done to make sure it has cleared up. If you have problems on board the ship's Doctor should be able help. You would have to pay for the visit, or use your trip medical insurance.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Your doctor should be able to prescribe a medication for the pain along with an antibiotic. I'm not referring to a "pain pill". In the US we have an OTC called AZO that after 24 hours or so makes the "urinating razor blades" not so painful.

AZO is Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride. You could check with your chemist to see if it can be bought OTC where you are. It is definitely not a replacement for an antibiotic, it just helps reduce the pain until the antibiotic does it's job. Be sure to take all of the antibiotic prescription.

(Spoken by one who has been there many times.)

Edited by SPacificbound
addition

Firstly, ignore all posts from the USA. No offence to Americans, it's just that insurance rules in the USA are totally different from the UK, which means that they (or 99% of them) know next to nothing about UK insurance just as we (or 99% of us) know next to nothing about USA insurance.

Secondly, yes you do have to tell your insurance company. They can then decide whether to cover you for the health condition, or not - in which case they cancel the trip and give you your money back. Basically it depends on your doctor - if you get a letter from your doctor confirming that you are fit to travel, then you'll be able to go; if he won't give you that letter, then you'll have to cancel or to travel uninsured. If he hasn't got time to do you a letter, you can still travel based on telling the insurance company that he has said you can go, but you would need to get a letter later if you need to claim. Either way, you need to tell the insurance company.

If you don't have insurance, you won't be covered for any medical treatment on board ship or on land that could possibly be related to your current condition, and you won't be covered for evacuation costs from the ship, for repatriation expenses to the UK, for hotel bills for your husband while you are in hospital, and so on. These costs can mount up.

Aww really? "...ignore"? I'm afraid that did come off sounding both offensive and rude. Those of us who replied were simply trying to help. Gee. :(

Sorry if you're offended - that was not the intention. But it wouldn't have been helpful to say anything less than "ignore" when so much of the advice is plain wrong for UK law. "I took the advice of someone who was trying to help" will not be any use when trying to persuade your insurance company to pay for your flights home.