big ships

kentucygrams

If you are talking about RCCL, Oasis class (Oasis, Allure, Harmony and Symphony), my answer is no. They are wonderful. Everything is very spread out and we were never in a mob of people.

If you are talking about NCL'S Breakaway/Getaway, although we had a wonderful time, did not even compare to Royal. The pool area was sooo congested. Hope this helps

Are the ships with 5,000 plus passengers over the top for seniors? (70 plus)

No - assuming you are fairly active and used to walking, as they are big. I love Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships. The shows are really first class. Even if you are not able to walk they are easy for scooters and wheelchairs. The ships are very well organized into "neighborhoods" and handle crowds very well. Would recommend a cabin midship and/or close to elevators.

On the negative side, you will find lots of families and kids on board. The big ships are very multigenerational. However, if kids and families bother you, I would recommend a smaller ship, or perhaps not cruising during peak times. They offer great opportunities to people watch - even if you don't participate!

Please define "over the top for seniors". I know some very spritely seniors who would love the more energetic outdoor activities and love nothing more than dancing the night away.

Decide where you fall on the "active" spectrum. Do you have any real interest in the 'bells and whistles ' that these floating amusement parks/shopping malls offer? If you don't, then you would have to consider whether these larger ships are still worth it because they have itineraries or other features that their smaller sisters don't.

I am 68, my wife a little under and the mega Oasis class ships are by far our favorites. Most of what you hear from the nay sayers is hogwash. Feels less crowded then some of the smaller ships we have sailed on. We have done transatlantics on Oasis, Allure and will be on the Symphony TA in Oct. The big ships will have upwards of 2500 kids on them in the summer months in the Caribbean. Those same ships may have a hundred or so sailing on the transatlantics. We don't use the jacuzzi, flowerier, slides or rock climbing wall but still love the ship. You said 5000+ passengers, the newest ship Symphony carries 6680 and a crew of 2200. I have no worries at all that the ship will feel crowded. Our TA will probably top out at under 5000.

I am not a fan of big ships so it really depends on what you want in a cruise experience

I like more quiet peaceful surrounding & hate hiking a mile just to get dinner

JMO

YMMV

My folks are in their mid 70s and the mega ships are their favorites. They prefer the big ships for the better entertainment and activities.